Hog Panel - How tall? Protein feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Panel - How tall? Protein feeder

Will 34" hog panel be tall enough to keep cattle out of a protein feeder? Was going to make 2 of a 16 ft long per side. How tall? 50" cattle panels seem excessive?

Any other advice?

34 inches has always worked on our lease. No issues with the cows getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by charrison View Post
      34 inches has always worked on our lease. No issues with the cows getting in.
      thanks!!!!

Comment

I run a single strand of barbed wire on top of the hog panel.

Comment

Depends on how hungry they get during the lean times. (16'x16' is really too small imo) see pics below. I've had them lean or jump 34" hog panels, especially 16x16' pens.....and bigger pens when protein is involved. We use the taller cheaper cattle panels now (with more of them) and cut them down a level. They end up being 42-44" depending on if they are 48" or 50" tall. In a pen setting with many panels, we've been known to cut a couple of jump in areas one layer lower 1/2 panel long in strategic places we want them to jump in at. Most of our deer use the lower cut area...

and yes I know they are upside down...we had a reason...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dang cows 10-7-07.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24668952

Name:	adang cow1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24668953

Name:	adang cow2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24668954

Name:	a**** cow3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	24668955

Comment

Originally posted by refugioco View Post
            I run a single strand of barbed wire on top of the hog panel.
            This

Comment

Yep! Going to do 32 x32'... Single strand of barbed wire is good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Depends on how hungry they get during the lean times. (16'x16' is really too small imo) see pics below. I've had them lean or jump 34" hog panels, especially 16x16' pens.....and bigger pens when protein is involved. We use the taller cheaper cattle panels now (with more of them) and cut them down a level. They end up being 42-44" depending on if they are 48" or 50" tall. In a pen setting with many panels, we've been known to cut a couple of jump in areas one layer lower 1/2 panel long in strategic places we want them to jump in at. Most of our deer use the lower cut area...

[ATTACH]1069919[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069920[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069921[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069922[/ATTACH]
                Your reading comprehension is usually better than most, but in the OP he said 2X 16’ per side…

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

[ATTACH]1069919[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069920[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069921[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069922[/ATTACH]

That's how I set mine up also and have not had cows get in. I have a heifer that likes to jump. My pen is 14 panels and I have 2 fawn gates that I can open up mid summer to let the little ones in.

Comment

Working...
                  X