Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s your favorite hunting projectile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s your favorite hunting projectile?

Let me start by saying I normally use my long range load for shot tail and hogs who’s had usually consist of some type of match grade bullet.

However the last few years hunting out of state I began playing with more hunting type bullets and have absolutely fell in love with Accubonds. I have now shot 3-4 whitetail and 1 mule deer with them with 100% bullet performance. My furthest shot was 526 yards on a white tail doe using 165gr Accubond from a 16.5” 308 complete pass through with what appears to be great expansion.

My mule deer I just killed was 285 yards shot with a .260 rem using 130gr Accubond at 2850 FPS. Bullet clipped ribs in and out with almost no blood shot meat. Hit the buck in the heart and lungs. Exit hole was about 1” diameter with lung hanging out. Deer when 5-10 steps.

Hornady GMX

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Had great success with the Barnes TTSX but I’m only pushing them around 2,600 and limiting shots to 150 yards.

Comment

Nosler Partition

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
          Nosler Partition
          I tried them but could not get them to shoot as good as the accubonds.

Comment

Accubonds and Barnes TSX. All others are just target projectiles

Well, maybe Sierra GameKings in a pinch

Comment

Barnes tsx need speed to perform. Shot some medium sized hogs with them from a .556 and just punched holes thru them with no blood trails. Long, too long, tracking jobs. Hornady interbank is my go to .30 cal bullet. SST's out of my grendel.
              Last edited by Walker; 11-04-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Nosler partitions
                Accubond

This year I am using Speer grande slams in a new .308 150gr

For 30 years I shot federal classic 180gr .300 wm (hornday interlock) and had excellent performance, killing a ton of nilgai, caribou, elk
                So anyone feeling the classic bullets are in inferior on large game ease your mind

Smaller cal needs tough bullet tho
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-04-2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

For the hill country whitetail that I typically hunt, I basically use one of the following: Remington Core Lokt, Federal Fusion, or Hornady American Whitetail, depending on which bullet my gun likes best.

If I ever go elk hunting, I'll look for a better constructed bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Let me start by saying I normally use my long range load for shot tail and hogs who’s had usually consist of some type of match grade bullet.

However the last few years hunting out of state I began playing with more hunting type bullets and have absolutely fell in love with Accubonds. I have now shot 3-4 whitetail and 1 mule deer with them with 100% bullet performance. My furthest shot was 526 yards on a white tail doe using 165gr Accubond from a 16.5” 308 complete pass through with what appears to be great expansion.

My mule deer I just killed was 285 yards shot with a .260 rem using 130gr Accubond at 2850 FPS. Bullet clipped ribs in and out with almost no blood shot meat. Hit the buck in the heart and lungs. Exit hole was about 1” diameter with lung hanging out. Deer when 5-10 steps.

I'll second your Accubond and add the Swift Scirocco. I started using the Accubond in my 700 CDL in 7/08 and flattened some pigs and nice buck at a little over 300 yards. I wish I had that gun back.

I've been shooting the 130 gr. Accubond in my Barret Fieldcraft 6.5X55 with outstanding performance on pigs, sheep and deer. I've got a load for the 130 Scirocco as well, but I haven't run out of Accubonds yet. I've got a load for the 130 gr. Accubond for my CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC, but haven't killed anything but targets with it yet.

For game in my 6.5 PRC I've been loading the 130 Swift Scirocco . It flat hammers everything and leaves a blood trail a blind man could follow even though I haven't had to trail anything over 20 yards.

My 257 Roberts gets fed the 90 grain Barnes X bullet. They're no longer in production, but I think I've got enough to last me a couple of years. It's always punched nice holes in everything, but didn't leave much of a blood trail the one time I had to trail anything. That was my fault for not taking the high shoulder shot like I usually do. Hit the deer right behind the shoulder. Barnes bullets seem to work best when punching through bone. However, dead is dead.

My 270 loves the 130 gr. Speer Grand Slam. It thumps deer and pigs pretty well and has always left nice exit holes. I used to shoot the 140 grain Hornady BTSP in this gun, but I prefer the 130 gr. Speer.

My 7 MM RSAUM spits out the 140 gr. Barnes TTSX at about 3050 FPS and nothing, except for one pig has ever taken more than a step. Always leaves a hole in both sides.

The Browning 1885 in 7RM likes the 145 gr. Speer Grand Slam, the 145 gr. Speer BT as well as the 160 gr. Grand Slam, but is currently shooting the only factory ammunition I have in stock. Some old Federal Premium 150 gr. BTSP is sub MOA and at 3150 FPS nothing lives. I've got about 12 rounds left of this, but have a couple of boxes of the 145 Grand Slam loaded and ready for when I do run out.

I've got lots of options and have always been fortunate to have good performance from the bullets I use. With two exceptions, the 130 gr. Sierra BTSP out of my 270 hit a west Texas muley in the neck and disintegrated. I found the bullet jacket at the base of the neck between the shoulders. A 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip out of the 7 RM blew up on a muley's shoulder. The deer went down, but I had to finish him off with a 9MM.

Too bad I can't take them ALL to the stand with me.

Comment

Accubonds for me have always been reliable. The Sierra Gamekings and Prohunters come in a close second (Prohunters especially in factory barrels). I have some really accurate Berger loads that I intend to try this year on deer, but the Accubond is where its at for me given the chance.

Comment

speer gold dot.

accurate , cheap and does great on hogs even with less than perfect placement... punches through nicely..

before i switched , i was using lehigh defense controlled chaos ... slod copper and massive blood trails .. but expensive! and some guns don't like them...

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                          Nosler partitions
                          Accubond

This year I am using Speer grande slams in a new .308 150gr
                          The Grand Slam is a great bullet, excellent results from my .25-06 and 120 grn bullet. I have yet to get some for my .243 and .270, if I can find any in-stock now days.

Comment

Sierra gameking BT’s followed by Berger classic hunters

Comment

depends on the gun
                              Sierra
                              Nosler
                              Have been the got to for years but I have done barnes

Comment

Working...
                              X