No announcement yet.

Age your kids started hunting alone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I determined that he was mature enough to handle the responsibility. For my son that was 12.
    As a friend of mine once told me, he’s confident to let his 9 year old hunt alone but his 14 year old will need adult supervision until he’s in his 30’s. It’s all about maturity not age.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      Single shot 410 & hell yes I was.
      You didn't ever complain about any of it either or say a word, because you weren't going the next time if you did.
      Cold, rain, it didn't matter.
      Go back a generation or 2 before me and they were starting families at 12.
      People underestimate Arkansans and their hunting methods LOL!

I think the correct answer is when your kid is safe with whatever weapon they’re toting.

They started us putting the dogs out deer hunting when we were probably 7 or 8. Now, our moms made sure we were wrapped in orange, but we did carry our own shotguns. They’d drop us off and we’d walk the dogs out into the woods until they struck. One kid usually sat there where they jumped and the other would run with the dogs. I got hopelessly “lost” a few times, but did kill my first buck doing it when i was 8. I don’t know if me or the buck was more shocked that morning. I couldn’t believe I’d killed one!

Duck hunting - I was just lucky to tag along. Kids always got the swing end of the hole and cripple mop up duty, but it was fun. I guess we started going on our own around 14 or so when you could drive.

Comment

I guess my question is does your son want to hunt alone? Is he asking? If not, I'd delay it as long as you can because you'll never get those sits back.

My son is 15 and hasn't hunted a lot the last few years. He's going with me next weekend and we'll sit together....for the reasons I stated above.

Comment

With the current antler restrictions and MLD or managed trophy lease guidelines it’s a different ballgame now days. I’d say 14 or 15. I was 8 when my dad shoved me up on a limb of a hickory tree and told be no does and he must have a forked antler. Pretty easy compared to the guidelines of today.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
            I guess my question is does your son want to hunt alone? Is he asking? If not, I'd delay it as long as you can because you'll never get those sits back.

My son is 15 and hasn't hunted a lot the last few years. He's going with me next weekend and we'll sit together....for the reasons I stated above.
            He took his hunter Ed class a couple weeks ago and i mentioned once he was comfortable sitting by himself he would be able to. Now he is really excited about it. I reminded him it would be dark before the morning hunt and dark after the evening hunt by the time I got to his stand to pick him up. For a split second he had a concerned look but quickly said he would have his flashlight and would take his dog with him. LOL I have a feeling he may start out hunting alone on evening hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              He took his hunter Ed class a couple weeks ago and i mentioned once he was comfortable sitting by himself he would be able to. Now he is really excited about it. I reminded him it would be dark before the morning hunt and dark after the evening hunt by the time I got to his stand to pick him up. For a split second he had a concerned look but quickly said he would have his flashlight and would take his dog with him. LOL I have a feeling he may start out hunting alone on evening hunts.
              There you go! Good luck to you both!

Comment

I was 12ish my boys were 12. I let them hunt where ever but I hunted close to them.
                My pops just let me go. Drop me off at a gate and pick me up either around lunch or dark at the assigned spots.

Comment

Daughter was 14 when she started hunting by herself. She only likes to bow hunt and is always in a ground blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                    Never .. he’s an adult and we cherish sitting in the blind together and enjoying the experience together
                    Agreed!

If was bow hunting it was probably 14 or so but I loved sitting with my dad and would rather sit and bs with him than sit by myself. To this day, I would still rather sit with him!

Rifle was probably around the same age but I always preferred to be with my ol man!

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                    There you go! Good luck to you both!
                    x2

Comment

Looks like under 9 must be accompanied. 9 and older must take hunter ed before being able to hunt alone.

I started at 10 but I’m an old dude.
                      Last edited by rjtkdplus; 10-26-2021, 09:23 PM.

Comment

If I let my son sit alone, who’s going to wake me up when a deer comes out?

I started at 9, my youngest is 13 and I’m kind of scared to let him sit alone because of antler restrictions.

Comment

I was around 12, so I guess I'm falling in with the norm. I'm sure it also matters on what you're going to let your kid shoot. Does and pigs, no problem. But I'd be hesitant to give him permission to shoot a buck.

Comment

Working...
                          X