I need help with 2nd grade math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with 2nd grade math

Can someone help me understand the thought process being used to solve this?

This isn’t how I learned to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re going back through 8th grade algebra right now. I have no clue what that is

Comment

Oh, it’s breaking it down by 10’s, trying to make it easier

Comment

Weird

Comment

It was a simpler day when we simply learned to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.

Comment

Took my wife (28 year teacher) 15 minutes for me to get it. What a mess…she says it is common core crap

Break the 20 out - look for doubles
            Subtract the 9 ( or whatever that is in the equation)

Use the answer of that (1) to check for the answer by adding it back to the double.

What an ever loving mess…only a person that thinks this is the way to learn may would vote for Biden…lol

Comment

AC, that is completely stupid math manipulation. This is why kids have trouble with math, taking a one step problem and making it a 3 step.

First, make 20 into two values, 10 and 10. Then, subtract 9 from one of the 10s leaving 1. Now, add 1 to the other 10 and you get 11. Completely assine and schools should be embarrassed for this type of BS.

Comment

It’s showing why if you were to do the problem the old fashion way you would scratch off the two and draw a little one to borrow(or regroup).

Basically you are putting a 1 in the 10s place to represent 10, and a 10 in the ones place so you can do 10-9. After subtracting you are left with 1 in the ones place and 10 from the original.
                Last edited by scott123456789; 09-14-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Common core.......this is what will be next

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqH1ofSx8U"]Area Model Multiplication vs Old School Method (Common Core Math) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

that looks like the first semester curriculum for ballot counting

Comment

So AC, your say-n you don't understand simple 2nd grade proximity algorithmic math?

I wonder about ya sometimes...

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

In order to subtract 9 from 20, you first must understand how the 20 got there. Ah, two 10s. 10 take away 9 is 1. 1 plus 10 is 11. And that's how you get to the answer.

Comment

That’s kinda like driving through California to get to New York from Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                            In order to subtract 9 from 20, you first must understand how the 20 got there. Ah, two 10s. 10 take away 9 is 1. 1 plus 10 is 11. And that's how you get to the answer.
                            How did the two 10's get there?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              How did the two 10's get there?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                              Go pull your switch!!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X