Queen Isabella Causeway collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen Isabella Causeway collapse

This year will be the 20 year anniversary of the Queen Isabella causeway collapse that happened in South Padre Island, Texas. It was in my first year of college, and the attack on 9/11 had just happened a few days before.

So a quick back story about the incident that I got from a news article:

Early on the morning of September 15, 2001, a barge hit the Queen Isabella Causeway causing a 160-foot section of the only bridge connecting South Padre Island to the mainland to collapse. Several cars went over the missing section, and plunged into the Laguna Madre. Eight people died...

I recently came across this podcast about a group of fisherman on a boat that witnessed the collapse, and rescued three people that drove into the water after the bridge fell. It's a really interesting side of the story that we never heard about. I thought I'd share this piece of history from the Rio Grande Valley.

Just a heads up it's lengthy, but well worth the listen. The podcast also has follow ups with individual interviews with the fisherman, and other witnesses.

Dang...20 years.

Comment

I knew a young lady that was my buddies cousin she occasionally hung out with us at the taxidermy shop,they teased her relentlessly and she always, always, kept smiling.Her memory Kinda haunts me, feel for her parents loss.

Comment

One of our best friends sister died there. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
          This year will be the 20 year anniversary of the Queen Isabella causeway collapse that happened in South Padre Island, Texas. It was in my first year of college, and the attack on 9/11 had just happened a few days before.

So a quick back story about the incident that I got from a news article:

Early on the morning of September 15, 2001, a barge hit the Queen Isabella Causeway causing a 160-foot section of the only bridge connecting South Padre Island to the mainland to collapse. Several cars went over the missing section, and plunged into the Laguna Madre. Eight people died...

I recently came across this podcast about a group of fisherman on a boat that witnessed the collapse, and rescued three people that drove into the water after the bridge fell. It's a really interesting side of the story that we never heard about. I thought I'd share this piece of history from the Rio Grande Valley.

Just a heads up it's lengthy, but well worth the listen. The podcast also has follow ups with individual interviews with the fisherman, and other witnesses.

https://youtu.be/fSxRvV8uqvA
          I will never forget this. I was in the Coast Guard stationed in POC. We deployed to the island by helicopter as a boarding team and patrolled the area in shifts for around 5 days 24 hours a day. Sad deal. It was an eerie feeling being out there all night next to the bridge knowing what had just taken place. God bless everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Sad deal. Doesn't seem like 20 yrs. Remember it ,as we got down there for vacation a couple of days later.

Comment

A good friend of mine from HS, Steven Rivas, was driving one of the seven cars that went into the water. Very sad day. Can’t believe it’s been 20 yrs...

Comment

Ttt... has anyone listened to the podcast?

Comment

Sad deal. I’ll have to listen to the podcast tomorrow on my drive home.

Comment

i did. very interesting. i didn't live in texas at the time so it was all news to me.

Comment

I can’t believe that it’s been 20yrs. Me and my dad where in the boat fishing down there the weekend it happened.

Comment

Was headed out for a surf early that morning and got lucky it shut down just before we got to it

crazy day for sure.

Comment

I had never heard of this - crazy story from that fisherman on the podcast and he sure didn't have too high of an opinion of the coast guard that day!

Comment

Is this from when the tug brown water hit the bridge ?

Comment

Working...
                              X