Dog help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog help

What do you do when a pet is not fitting in to the family? Anyone know of a place in the FWD area where I can send a dog and have her some back a good citizen?
    Backstory: got this cur/boxer mix last July on here. Did 6 weeks of “clicker” training with a trainer coming to my house and it really didn’t take. She obeys basic commands except when excitement puppy mode takes over. Problem is mainly jumping on people and very rough play. She’s hurt several people unintentionally. Culminated a few days ago when she killed a grackle in the yard and my wife tried to take it away from her. Bit my wife in the face when she lunged up to try and snatch the bird away.

Other problems include digging and retaliation destruction of furniture when I leave her. Got a Biden border cage for her to remedy that. I’m throwing the ball for her 5 to 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a day and taking her on a minimum hour walk or run every day after work with some stops at the dog park so she can get time with other mutts. In general I think she needs way more but this is all the time I can allocate. Taking her with me fishing and any other activity possible. Thought by 9 months she would show signs of coming around but her behavior is just getting worse. She’s 100% hard play all the time.

Honestly if I knew a good family with acreage that wanted her I think I’d let her go. I’m pretty attached but it’s harming my marriage and she’ll likely eventually kill my wife’s 4lb poodle just trying to play.

On top of all this my wife is scheduled for hip surgery in 2 weeks. Don’t know what I’m gonna do when the dog knocks my wife off her crutches[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TexaRican; 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM.

[ATTACH]1045405[/ATTACH]

Comment

I don’t put up with a biting dogs. I’m pretty patient with dogs but once they bite a member of the family, game over.

Comment

Life is too short to put up with a problem dog.
        Being aggressive towards humans even if it’s possessive aggression is immediate night night.

Comment

I have only had one dog that bit a person and he punched his ticket. Once they have learned that they can bite a human its game over and very hard to stop them from doing it again because the dominance is lost. No family member getting bit should be worth putting up with a second time and I wouldnt allow that dog to go to anyone else because the next person to get bit could be a young child.

Comment

Dog help

She’s not aggressive, just stupid. I’m not gonna whip her but when she’s in trouble she usually thinks it’s all still play unless I move aggressively on her with my hand up and the she finally cowers down tail between her legs. Been leaving her shock collar on all day and that is helping some. I guess she’s not too stupid because when she sees the controller in my hand she acts totally different. Buzzed her yesterday when she jumped on my wife at the back door. She yelped and then my wife just goes hysterical at the cruel thing I did to the dog. I can’t win[emoji2357]

I will restate, she was not trying to bite my wife. She was trying to grab the bird out of my wife’s hand who was attempting to hold it over her head out of the dogs reach. Just grazed my wife’s face in the lunge for the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by TexaRican; 04-02-2021, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Youtube cesar milan.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Only one thing to do.
                Hump her till she pees.
                Last edited by DedDuk; 04-02-2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  Only one thing to do.
                  Hump her till she pees.
                  Then the whole family has to. Can’t argue with proven methods.

Comment

Google dog trainers in your area. Those are very solvable problems.

I love Sit Means Sit but I've heard there is one in the DFW that is terrible. They are franchised so they vary in quality.

She' part Boxer and she's going to be high energy for some time but you can redirect that into fun activities. Playing with her frequently helps. Also look up some dog toys that require her to solve problems. For example, the 2 liter bottle swinging on a rod that has to be dumped upside down for kibble to come out. It will entertain her for some time.

When she goes to jump up knee her really hard in the chest, stand tall over her and say NO! Make her sit. You'd be surprised how fast they learn to stop jumping. All 4 feet MUST be on the ground for her to be petted.

Before you take anything away from her, make her sit and leave it. If she goes to grab it, get her to sit again. Become the alpha over her. Make sure that no matter what, when you say sit or down or come here, she is required to comply. You reinforce this by making her comply without violence and praising her when she does comply, even if at first it is just for a second. Make sure you can follow through if she does not comply.

For example, my husband cannot go get a dog that does not come here when told. It is pointless for him to continue to yell the command unless I'm around to enforce compliance.

That should be enough to help you get started. Don't let the fact that she's a puppy allow more tolerance. Treat her as if she is a full grown 90 pound dog. Note - no where did I say use a clicker or shock collar.

Comment

I have trained only a few labs so no expert but it will be around 1-2 years till a dog will calm down. Some people feel shock collars are inhumane and in the wrong hands it absolutely is. But used right it can be a very beneficial tool. That will help behavior tremendously because they learn no matter where they are they can be corrected. The jumping and rough housing can be cured be firm nos or negative pressure. But that's just my. 02 not an expert

Comment

Turn the setting for shock down some.... that’s what I did to my wife’s mutt, she doesn’t Yelp and the wife doesn’t know

Took some time for this dumb dog, but she’s gotten better. Or perhaps getting shocked so much scrambled her brains some

Comment

Working...
                        X