tpwd speckled trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tpwd speckled trout

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission took emergency action Wednesday, moving to temporarily alter spotted seatrout regulations in response to the significant fish kill that resulted from February's severe freeze.

The current statewide speckled trout regulations are a five fish daily bag limit and 15-25 inch slot limit with the ability to keep one fish over 25 inches long. The temporary Laguna Madre regulations will drop the daily bag to three fish and the slot limit to 17-23 inches. The Laguna Madre regulations will affect inshore waters South of the JFK Causeway, including adjacent beachfronts from Packery Channel, down to the Rio Grande.

"I agree with the staff recommendation,” said commissioner Jeanne Latimer during Wednesday's work session.

TPW Commission approves emergency rule

At its March 24 meeting, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved an Emergency Rule changing the speckled trout limits and size restrictions in the Upper and Lower Laguna Madre.

The rule will provide for a three-fish limit (as opposed to the current five-fish limit) and size restrictions of 17-23 inches (as opposed to the current 15-25 inches, with one fish allowed over 25 inches).

The changes will apply from the JFK Causeway south to the Rio Grande River inshore, and also will apply to surf-fishing.

Robin Reichers, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s Director of Coastal Fisheries, told the commission the changes would result in a 27-percent increase in the spawning stock biomass over current limits, although it takes two years to accomplish those results.

“The changes would help keep fish in the water through the spawning season (late April through September),” he said.

TPWD Executive Director Carter Smith said the changes would begin when the Emergency Rule is filed with the Secretary of State, with a goal of filing the rule on April 1, giving the department time to issue press releases to notify anglers of the changes.

The commission expressed the desire to law enforcement that the changes initially be treated largely as educational, with warnings instead of citations until anglers become aware of the rule change.

Seems like a good idea. Man I love eating specs

Comment

Gonna put all the pressure more or less on female fish.

Comment

I tend to keep fish in the 17-21” range anyways. I’m all for this until our fishery rebounds

Comment

Good move by TPWD!

Comment

Not to be a whiner...but that's what we do on forums..if I was king for the day:

1) 3 fish - 13-17 inches with nothing over 18 kept. Target males this way, fill limits quicker as I feel too many fish killed in release to find a larger anchor fish
            2) No warnings....start with fines inside 30 days.
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Geez. Sad to see this kind of support for this nonsense

Comment

“Although it takes two years to accomplish those results”. That’s the quote you need to pay attention to. It will never be a five fish limit again down there. Let a few crybabies ruin it for everybody else.
                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Penalties should be increased on this species and the jetties all along the coast we see constantly being raped by poaching immigrants should be targeted. Not saying non immigrants are above poaching but if you have been on a pier or jetty between Galveston and Corpus you know what I am talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                    Penalties should be increased on this species and the jetties all along the coast we see constantly being raped by poaching immigrants should be targeted. Not saying non immigrants are above poaching but if you have been on a pier or jetty between Galveston and Corpus you know what I am talking about.
                    How do you know they are immigrants? How do you know they are poachers?

Comment

Yep and you see the gal game warden on lonestar law handing out Warnings to them. Utterly ridiculous.

Comment

I wonder what the guides who make a living down there have to say about this. Is anyone really going to pay to take a guide out for 3 specs. Yeah I know they can target other species of fish but even then what's the state of those species?

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                          Not to be a whiner...but that's what we do on forums..if I was king for the day:

1) 3 fish - 13-17 inches with nothing over 18 kept. Target males this way, fill limits quicker as I feel too many fish killed in release to find a larger anchor fish
                          2) No warnings....start with fines inside 30 days.
                          I like your idea! Trout are a lot more fun to catch than eat. I really support catch and release!

Comment

"This!"

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              “Although it takes two years to accomplish those results”. That’s the quote you need to pay attention to. It will never be a five fish limit again down there. Let a few crybabies ruin it for everybody else.
                              Amen
                              Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              How do you know they are immigrants? How do you know they are poachers?
                              I rarely see people who speak English as their first language cast netting fish for the cooler in the circumstances he's talking about so there's that

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X