Landscape design software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CEO is tired of the green on green on green front garden and has tasked me with gutting it and starting over.
    The front gets very little sun under two big oaks so I’m trying to find combinations of shade friendly plants. Some of the pictures I’ve found are of design plans and it got me wondering what resources are out there that are worth anything.
    Has anybody used these before? Are there any free ones that you’ve used?

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
    The CEO is tired of the green on green on green front garden and has tasked me with gutting it and starting over.
    The front gets very little sun under two big oaks so I’m trying to find combinations of shade friendly plants. Some of the pictures I’ve found are of design plans and it got me wondering what resources are out there that are worth anything.
    Has anybody used these before? Are there any free ones that you’ve used?
    Best thing I ever did was hire a landscape architect when I redid my front yard. They told me what plants to use wear based on the sun after I gave them what I wanted, and I had a to scale model of where everything needed to be including sprinkler heads etc. etc. etc. Cost me like 500 bucks. The only thing I wish I had asked about was landscape lighting, I ran all the wiring but I’m gonna have to figure that one out on my own

Comment

Give Chris a call at ELI landscape. They do phenomenal work. [URL] https://elilanddesign.com[/ URL]

[emoji1531]

Comment

Real-time Landscape Pro has a 30 day free trial
        Also get the trial for real-time photo so you can load pic and scrub existing landscape.
        Where are you located? I can recommend different shrubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
          Real-time Landscape Pro has a 30 day free trial
          Also get the trial for real-time photo so you can load pic and scrub existing landscape.
          Where are you located? I can recommend different shrubs.

I'll check it out. Appreciate it! I'm in Katy.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
            I'll check it out. Appreciate it! I'm in Katy.

Sounds like you’re trying to bring some color to those beds which isn’t as easy as full/mostly sun.

Check out Gold Spot or Gold Dust Aucuba, variegated pittosporum, soft caress mahonia, fatsia, flirt nandinas will do ok but won’t get as colorful as it would in full sun, hydrangeas, maybe some small maple for some color.

If you have trouble putting a design together let me know and I’ll help. Remember to plan for maturity when planting.

Last edited by Sparkles; 02-01-2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I’ve been in the same dilemma as you are for a couple of years now. I believe that if you want a professional job done you have to hire a professional, but many of the landscape architects/designers I met submitted proposals that were way too exorbitant to be realistic. So I started searching online for that free software you’re talking about. Mostly, what I found in terms of “free” applications gave you nothing but pre-made plans. If you wanted the flexibility to create your own plan, it would cost you. The more flexibility, the greater the cost, etc., etc. I ultimately ditched this idea.

Fast forward, I think I’ve finally found a landscape designer who’s going to give me something that looks great AND meets my needs. While his proposal was half that of the next lowest proposal I received (which means he’ll keep it under 50K...cough, sputter), I’m keeping my fingers crossed although, from what I’ve seen so far, I suspect he is going to turn out to be one of those guys who, like Eldon the Painter, works at his own speed and with his own ideas, in spite of the plan.

Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                Sounds like you’re trying to bring some color to those beds which isn’t as easy as full/mostly sun.

Check out Gold Spot or Gold Dust Aucuba, variegated pittosporum, soft caress mahonia, fatsia, flirt nandinas will do ok but won’t get as colorful as it would in full sun, hydrangeas, maybe some small maple for some color.

If you have trouble putting a design together let me know and I’ll help. Remember to plan for maturity when planting.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. We still have the same plants in the bed that we got with the house 10 years ago. It's all green and boring. I'm looking for different heights, different colors (even variegated green would be better!). I've compiled a large list of things that will grow and hopefully thrive in this area but putting them together in a coherent plan is taking some work.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                I’ve been in the same dilemma as you are for a couple of years now. I believe that if you want a professional job done you have to hire a professional, but many of the landscape architects/designers I met submitted proposals that were way too exorbitant to be realistic. So I started searching online for that free software you’re talking about. Mostly, what I found in terms of “free” applications gave you nothing but pre-made plans. If you wanted the flexibility to create your own plan, it would cost you. The more flexibility, the greater the cost, etc., etc. I ultimately ditched this idea.

Fast forward, I think I’ve finally found a landscape designer who’s going to give me something that looks great AND meets my needs. While his proposal was half that of the next lowest proposal I received (which means he’ll keep it under 50K...cough, sputter), I’m keeping my fingers crossed although, from what I’ve seen so far, I suspect he is going to turn out to be one of those guys who, like Eldon the Painter, works at his own speed and with his own ideas, in spite of the plan.

Oh, well.
                Whoa! Our budgets aren't anywhere close to the same.

Comment

Oh, well.

Sounds like a pretty good sized property.
                  What part of central Texas are you in? I have a crew that’s willing to travel. We have worked as far South as South Padre and as far West as Santa Rosa however two of us will be doing a waterfall and xeriscape in Southern California next week making that our most westerly job.
                  If you are at all interested send me a pm with your email and I’ll reach out.
                  It’s possible I can put a design together after a phone call and some time on google earth and Zillow but I always prefer to meet face to face and talk about needs, wants and requirements.

Comment

We’re in the same boat. I’ve made my lists of acceptable plants, design likes and dislikes, etc. All the “elements” are there but, when it comes to creative services, I believe it takes someone with a well-honed eye for design—color, line, balance, and theme—in order to put it together into something visually unique.

I know my strengths, and landscape design—or design of any kind—is not one of them.

“A man’s got to know his limitations.”
                    —Harry Callahan

Comment

Thanks for reaching out. I’ve traveled a pretty good path with “Eldon,” but have not seen preliminary designs as of yet. When I do, if he turns out not to be the temperamental design savant I think he is, I’ll certainly give you a call.

Comment

Thanks for reaching out. I’ve traveled a pretty good path with “Eldon,” but have not seen preliminary designs as of yet. When I do, if he turns out not to be the temperamental design savant I think he is, I’ll certainly give you a call.

Sounds good. Hopefully it all works out for “Eldon”.
                        If he hits the mark with his design I’d love to take a look if you’d be willing to share. I always like seeing what others in the industry are doing.

Comment

ive used chief architect software for designing a home, a barndo, and a shop. I think they have a landscape version

Comment

Contact your local gardening club for ideas.

Comment

Ill have to be doing my landscaping as well ..been reading about more native design.
                              And I think I have that invasive moth problem on my prickly pear cactus....anyone got ideas on how to treat?

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X