Down sides of 300 BO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down sides of 300 BO?

Fixing to build an AR. I will eventually get a suppressor but that is years down the line more than likely.
    Right now I'm leaning towards 300BO because of the interchanging bolt from 556 and the suppression capability.

I like the looks of the Grendel and the 6.8 spc. Most of my shots are under 200 on running swine with the occasional coyote.

How available is 300 BO ammo? Are there any major downsides to this round?

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
    Fixing to build an AR. I will eventually get a suppressor but that is years down the line more than likely.
    Right now I'm leaning towards 300BO because of the interchanging bolt from 556 and the suppression capability.

I like the looks of the Grendel and the 6.8 spc. Most of my shots are under 200 on running swine with the occasional coyote.

How available is 300 BO ammo? Are there any major downsides to this round?
    Only downside I've found is price of ammo!

Comment

I really like the 6.5 grendel. I bought an Alexander Arms upper but before I got a chance to shoot it, someone wanted it WAY worse than I did and I sold it.

I think for a Multi- purpose caliber in the AR platform it's hard to beat.

It would work well for anything up to deer size game, and maybe even a bit larger game.
      To me, the only advantages to a 300 BO is the BCG and mags being the same as a 5.56. admittedly, I built my 300 BO upper when ammo for it was impossible to find and that turned me off to it.

Given the choices, I would go 6.5 Grendel 1st for ballistics and FPS, 6.8 SPC 2nd for ammo availability, and 300 BO 3rd because it doesn't appeal to me as much for a hunting round.

Comment

Thanks for that cuttingedge. The rifle will probably never be taken out for anything other than yotes and hogs. The ol 30-06 gets called out for deer and above.

Comment

I have found .300BLK difficult to source locally, in the second biggest city in Texas, if that tells you anything.

Sometimes it's on the shelf, sometimes it ain't. It is never there in such significant quantities that I can be choosy about which kind I want.

"Just buy it online." Yeah that works . . . IF you've already somehow determined what exact cocktail you need and are willing to buy enough to offset the shipping cost.

Comment

I have had no problem finding 300 blk out ammo lately, usually Academy will have Remington 220 subs, and several supersonic options.

Comment

Academy has plenty of 300 BO ammo.
              Choices are limited but that's ok. I've found that the Barnes 110 is the perfect hunting round for the 300 BO.
              Nate has been using the Remington 120 grain hollow points with good success and they run about $15 per box at academy.

Fwiw I have multiple AR calibers and 300 blackout gets taken the most by far and I'm 100% so far on multiple pigs, coyotes and deer. Every one except my 190# 10 point has been DRT including pigs over 200#.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Academy has plenty of 300 BO ammo.
                Choices are limited but that's ok. I've found that the Barnes 110 is the perfect hunting round for the 300 BO.
                Nate has been using the Remington 120 grain hollow points with good success and they run about $15 per box at academy.

Fwiw I have multiple AR calibers and 300 blackout gets taken the most by far and I'm 100% so far on multiple pigs, coyotes and deer. Every one except my 190# 10 point has been DRT including pigs over 200#.
                X2...love mine..

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                  Thanks for that cuttingedge. The rifle will probably never be taken out for anything other than yotes and hogs. The ol 30-06 gets called out for deer and above.
                  Yotes and hogs.. perfect combo for the 300 blk.

As Mike mentioned I've been running the cheap umc green box and doing pretty well. On lighter game they don't devistate like a Varmit bullet would.. they tend to zip right through. On pigs they do more damage.. as pigs are more dense to allow the bullet to work. But they are half the price of Barnes 110... so I'm willing to compromise a bit because of my intended target and not wanting to spend a ton to kill em.

All that said I've yet to lose an animal. All the pigs have been DRT including this lil guy.

If i was only going out to shoot lighter game I'd choose a balistic tip like the varmageddon or the barnes.

This coyote made it 30 yards.. that's the furthest anything has made it on me at this point.

For an all around spring/summer gun that's a blast to carry and suppress.. which make it ideal for hunting with the Lil guy... I don't think it can be beat.

To be fair I don't own a 6.8spc or a 6.5 grendel.. at this point I don't think I will ever need to. Lol. I do own a few 5.56's and I wouldn't purposely go pig hunting with one considering I have better options.. will it get the job done? Definitely. Are there better options out there for pigs? Most certainly.

If i was only Varmit hunting I'm taking the 5.56.

But for your intended targets the 300 blk will suit you well.

Comment

I love my 300 bo. Great gun and the barnes 110 is a great hunting round.

Comment

So I guess the takeaway from this is: go check your local shelves.

The subsonic Remington 220s are fun for target shooting, but I wouldn't throw them at anything I really wanted to stop.

I picked up some 208gr Hornady Amax recently, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Good video on the 220: http://youtu.be/i1Q7xRmZAtk

Comment

the only downside for me is Coach W shoots it....

Comment

I have been looking hard for a gel test of 208Amax loads. Seems like they MIGHT expand due to the tip, but idk. The only subsonic rounds I've seen so far that reliably expand are the Lehigh Defence, and at $2+ a round and the feeding issues they have, I'll pass. I'm thinking a 125gr vmax or SST should be pretty mean, but obviously supersonic. Can't wait for my Specwar 762 to get outta jail!

Comment

For your purpose, the 300AAC is a great choice.

I'm a little confused by your comment about "suppression capability" though
                            Anything can be suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              So I guess the takeaway from this is: go check your local shelves.

The subsonic Remington 220s are fun for target shooting, but I wouldn't throw them at anything I really wanted to stop.

I picked up some 208gr Hornady Amax recently, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Good video on the 220:
                              I've had less than desireable results from the subs. I've tried everything out there on the shelf except the Lehigh defense.. they all fail to work on pigs. You're gonna see some pigs die but more often than not they are gonna be grains heavier the next time you see em.

Do 300 blk subs work? Absolutely.

Do they work everytime? No.

Here's the results of a sub to the shoulder

Here is what he looked like after the 257 wby broke loose. Check out the hump. Lol.

Originally posted by Kankles View Post
                              the only downside for me is Coach W shoots it....
                              You're gonna be hard pressed finding a caliber I don't shoot. Lol.

It's a 30 cal projectile from an AR. That's freaking awesone.

Comment

Working...
                              X