Cattle People (hurt bull)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
    Check his feet. mud/stick/something btwn hoof? tips hooking in and touching?

EDIT: Randy beat me
    This...

He could have a nail or stick or rock packed in his hoof or around the frog of the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      Lots of trailer places rent stock trailers.

Could it be tetanus? They will walk really stiff.

If you need to give him shots, rope him and choke him down. It isn't fun for anyone, but if done right you can give him shots and live to tell about it. Remember to let off the rope as soon as he falls.
      No way it is tetanus. Tetanus will kill them in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        Must be some sorry vets, if no one will come out!
        Kinda what I was thinking.

Do you have any panels you could improvise a chute with? If you can’t you need a dart gun.

Dusty Britches is on point (as usual ), if he were mine and I could get him loaded, he’d already be at the sale.
        Last edited by rvd; 04-06-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

My point is, I know your situation and it may behoove you to sell him and get a new bull.
          Lol...You owe me a keyboard

Comment

it may be a simple case of laminitis. We call it chasing the green. Winter grasses green up and horses mainly but sometimes cattle gorge themselves with spring greens; after they have been on nothing but hay all winter. There is a lot of acid build up in the leg tissues as a result. An easy fix is get him off the grass and nothing but hay for 2 or 3 days. He may quickly recover.
            you can google the laminitis deal out there

Laminitis is a disease that affects the feet of ungulates and is found mostly in horses and cattle. Clinical signs include foot tenderness progressing to inability to walk, increased digital pulses, and increased temperature in the hooves. Severe cases with outwardly visible clinical signs are known by the colloquial term founder, and progression of the disease will lead to perforation of the coffin bone through the sole of the hoof or being unable to stand up, requiring euthanasia.

Comment

Thats crazy to me that a bull can't be used as a herd bull after 7-8 years old.

We had a vet come out to pull a calf in the middle of a pasture. It got western and had to rope the cow and tie her to the truck. But this is in a small town

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                This...

He could have a nail or stick or rock packed in his hoof or around the frog of the hoof.
                I would check this .....I had a pasture bull get a piece of wire buried up in the pastern on the back of his front foot....right under his dew claws. Check for mesquite/locust thorns too.

Comment

If its hoof rot you need to get on it fast. Once it gets up to the bone it's to late. Had this last year with a cow. Took her to the vet and then to the packing plant. If he is laying down a lot I would suspect he's got it bad. If you can get him loaded and to the vet that is your best bet. Proper diagnosis is key. Here is a link with some info on hoof rot.

Foot rot is an infection that causes swelling, heat and inflammation between the toes of a cloven -hoofed animal, resulting in severe lameness. Nearly every cattle producer has seen

Comment

I wouldn’t put a bunch of money in him due to age. My opinion is sell and get a new one

Comment

I can’t say thanks enough for your help.

This bull is special, I know it’s just a beef and I know the bottom line. He is going to get the “pet” treatment.

I have him in a pen now and a trailer ready to go. First thing in the morning we are going to attempt to load and carry to vet.

Not a done deal with an animal this size.

Yes I will be using a couple of temporary panels to create the chute.

Lots of wise advice as always. Just getting your opinions reduces my stress level.

I will post an update when I have one.

Comment

Throw a little chaffhaye in the head of the trailer and watch him. He will load himself I am guessing.

Comment

I'll bet money he has a abscess between one of his hoofs. If he want fit in that trailer you bought from me he is a Big un.

God Bless
                          Bish

Comment

I’m hi

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                              I'll bet money he has a abscess between one of his hoofs. If he want fit in that trailer you bought from me he is a Big un.

God Bless
                              Bish

He won’t fit in that trailer, but I still have it and use it for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                                He won’t fit in that trailer, but I still have it and use it for everything else.
                                How big a trailer is it going to take for him? I'm just curious. Never had a bull that wouldn't fit in a 16x6 trailer. Some have to back out because they're to big to turn around. Good luck. Hope he loads easy in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X