No announcement yet.

Force by mercury marine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a pontoon with a 90 hp Mercury/Force on it. Bought it for the boat to make bow fishing rig. Have a Evinrude to replace it. Before just taking off I ran compression on it, it was good. Has only one carb, took apart and cleaned. Water pump, plugs, lower unit oil change, fresh gas. Fired right up and never has missed a lick in 2 years!! Easiest motor I have ever worked on. Parts on Ebay.

Here is the kicker. Leave boat tied to my barge at Lake Belton a lot. My son who is 21 at time has never had to mix oil and gas. Boat is relatively empty. He pulls up to marina and fills her up, no oil. Runs prolly 3-5 gallons out of it. Ties boat up and heads home. He tells me he went bow fishing and what they killed and that they filled up boat. I asked about oil and he says "HUH?". Of course my next trip I put oil in it. Motor is still going strong and that was a year ago. I have nothing but good things to say about Mercury/Force. Maybe its just this one IDK?Good luck!!

Comment

I've got a 50hp force on my pontoon. It is a 99 model, runs like a champ.
      I've been hearing all about how bad of an engine it is for 10 years now.

Comment

I have a 120 force on my 24 foot pontoon never given me any trouble.

Comment

I had an 85 hp on a 1988 Thunderbolt. Ran like a champ. Drank fuel like a champ, too. Sold the boat with the Force till running strong about 10 years ago. No issues.

Comment

Good thing about a pontoon with a Force is, there's plenty of room for extra paddles. Bad news is, Have you ever tried to paddle a Pontoon boat?

Comment

Force is the old Chrysler outboard that Bayliner started using back in the early 80's. Just like the Bayliner boats, they were/are considered entry level. One positive thing about them back then was that they were a very simple motor with little technology so they were easy to work on.

Comment

if it runs, get it! it has outlived it usefulness by many years. make sure you have a quality trolling motor and fully charged batteries though!

Comment

Working...
                X