No announcement yet.

Woodturning thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=bassmatt72;15543588]Another short video with some basic information on using a bowl gouge.

Great video showing the basics. And great tool choice too, Doug makes some amazing gouges!

Comment

Great Vids Matt, I really liked the ring video!

Comment

[quote=Drewboy22;15545014]
        Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
        Another short video with some basic information on using a bowl gouge.

Great video showing the basics. And great tool choice too, Doug makes some amazing gouges!
        Yes, I like my Thompson tools! Thanks for the compliments!

Comment

Couple of pens I made for my family members. The bolt action is from a mesquite limb I cut my self here in Matagorda county
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
              Couple of pens I made for my family members. The bolt action is from a mesquite limb I cut my self here in Matagorda county
              Very nice! I especially like turning stuff with wood I've cut or salvaged.

Comment

Very nice pens, great detail work. Also, cool map of the Pacific War for a background.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                  Very nice pens, great detail work. Also, cool map of the Pacific War for a background.
                  Thanks. It’s from “In Harms Way” which is about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

Comment

Wood turning is something that I would like to get into. The only experience that I have with it is making a pen back in 8th grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose4 View Post
                      Wood turning is something that I would like to get into. The only experience that I have with it is making a pen back in 8th grade.

Me too. I have the lathe, the tools, wood blanks.... now I just need my garage back. Fire put me on hiatus for a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some dull spots in my bowl. Is this just a low spot i didnt sand down to on 80 grit?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ctom87; 06-13-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          I have some dull spots in my bowl. Is this just a low spot i didnt sand down to on 80 grit?
                          Could be, I'd start over with 80 grit and see if it will come out. Almost looks like it occurred on possibly an end grain and can be caused by a dull tool. Depending on the wood I'm turning, I'll touch up my tools either after every item, or when my shavings start to change. Mesquite requires a few hits on the grinder rather frequently

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

A couple handles from recent. Have some raw Buckeye slabs I've been messing with stabilizing in my chamber. I made some pen blank molds and the worthless pieces I fit into the mold then fill with acrylic.

Comment

Originally posted by Banded Drake Calls View Post
                              Could be, I'd start over with 80 grit and see if it will come out. Almost looks like it occurred on possibly an end grain and can be caused by a dull tool. Depending on the wood I'm turning, I'll touch up my tools either after every item, or when my shavings start to change. Mesquite requires a few hits on the grinder rather frequently

Thanks for the tip! Umfprtunately for me it was a brand new carbide tip!

I took a 60 grit belt sander to it while it was on the lathe at 2400 rpm. That really hogged it out quickly. Went to 80, 150, 220 and 320 afterward...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ctom87; 06-14-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                                Thanks for the tip! Umfprtunately for me it was a brand new carbide tip!

I took a 60 grit belt sander to it while it was on the lathe at 2400 rpm. That really hogged it out quickly. Went to 80, 150, 220 and 320 afterward...
                                It ended up looking good!

Comment

Working...
                                X