We Finished Up a Small Batch of Black Walnut Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Finished Up a Small Batch of Black Walnut Syrup

I got started late on collecting Black Walnut sap. I should have started about a week earlier. Also the temperatures have warmed up so fast that the sap has stopped flowing.....at least for now. We are supposed to get down in the lower 30s upper 20s next week. I still have 5 trees tapped. I got 10-12 gallons of sap which made about a quart and a half of Black Walnut syrup. Here are some pictures and videos of the process.

See the videos here:

https://youtu.be/SwaZG65deHA

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-13-2021, 12:31 PM.

Pretty cool, bet it’s good

Comment

Holy cow, that’s a lot of sap for a little syrup. I had no idea what all went into it, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
        Holy cow, that’s a lot of sap for a little syrup. I had no idea what all went into it, thanks for sharing.

40 to 50 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup. That is why pure maple/black walnut syrup is so expensive.

Comment

Very educational Mike !

Comment

Where we buy maple in the Adirondacks, it costs about $60 gallon. We buy it from the producer.

Comment

Is the price of black walnut wood still bringing a good price? I remember it brought great $$$ back in the day.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-13-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                40 to 50 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup. That is why pure maple/black walnut syrup is so expensive.
                Wow I had no idea

Comment

I never knew that was a thing. Growing up we had several black walnut trees in our back yard. We just threw them at each other and they would stain our clothes.

Comment

What does it taste like? Is it anything like maple syrup?

Comment

Black walnut chocolate chip cookies are and will always be my favorite

I remember my dad running over gunny sacks of nuts to knock off the husks

Bear to crack, but worth the effort in flavor

I bet that syrup is outstanding, never had it. Thanks for sharing Mike.

Comment

I never knew there was black walnut syrup.

I have two huge BW's that I'm going to take down and throw on my sawmill.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Is the price of black walnut wood still bringing a good price? I remember it brought great $$$ back in the day.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                          Yes. I would not want to cut them unless I just had to, but they are money in the bank. Midwest Black Walnut is in high demand.

The lumber buyer in the article below bought 106 walnut trees for $165,000. We have some $1000 to $1500 trees on our place.

Walnut and white oak logs are fetching record prices, according to Iowa loggers, wood merchants and foresters. ‘Walnut for sure …

Comment

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
                            What does it taste like? Is it anything like maple syrup?
                            Yes. Very similar. It is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              Yes. Very similar. It is very good.

What do you guys typically use your syrup on? After all that work I think I’d have a hard time watching my kids bath their pancakes in it, that stuff deserves some chicken and waffles.

Comment

Working...
                              X