Iowa Deer Classic !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
    Iowa DNR does a great job of managing their deer herd. However, there are locals that still do deer drives
    During Shotgun 1 and Shotgun 2 (which includes straight wall cartridges like .350 Legend .450 Bushmaster, .45-70 etc) deer drives are a Iowa tradition that will probably never go away. The locals call it "pushing the timber". At least both shotgun seasons are in December after the rut has wound down. It's pretty much if "it's brown it's down" with the deer drives. Doe, spike, or 160" buck it doesn't matter.

Here is a pretty good example of an Iowa push.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
      During Shotgun 1 and Shotgun 2 (which includes straight wall cartridges like .350 Legend .450 Bushmaster, .45-70 etc) deer drives are a Iowa tradition that will probably never go away. The locals call it "pushing the timber". At least both shotgun seasons are in December after the rut has wound down. It's pretty much if "it's brown it's down" with the deer drives. Doe, spike, or 160" buck it doesn't matter.

Here is a pretty good example of an Iowa push.

A lot of deer get wounded as well.

Comment

A lot of deer get wounded as well.
        I found this deadhead in a little pocket of timber within sight of where I am sitting in my living room. He was either shot in Shotgun 2 or got hit by a vehicle.

There was a big group of hunters here during the last weekend of Shotgun 2 that has permission all around me. They looked like a Swat team. AR platform .450 Bushmasters and .350 Legends. Enclosed trailer with side x side and 4 wheelers. They had 20 tags between them.[emoji3525]

Comment

I heard today that they had measured and entered 29 bucks into the Boone and Crockett record book this weekend at the Iowa Deer Classic. Several of those netting over 200" nontypical and 3 that that netted over 187 typical. Just a staggering amount of huge deer for the 2020 season.

Comment

That is incredible

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              That is incredible
              Really what is amazing is these are just the bucks that were brought to the show. There are many more giant bucks killed. Many hunters don't have the time, money or desire to drive to Des Moines, get their buck, measured, stay for 2-3 days and drive back home. This also does not include most nonresident hunters that killed big bucks that are not going to travel back to Iowa to get their buck measured and show it off. I have seen some unbelievably huge racks in farmers homes or barns that don't know about or care about what a buck scores. They just cut the horns off and hang them in the barn or house.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                Really what is amazing is these are just the bucks that were brought to the show. There are many more giant bucks killed. Many hunters don't have the time, money or desire to drive to Des Moines, get their buck, measured, stay for 2-3 days and drive back home. This also does not include most nonresident hunters that killed big bucks that are not going to travel back to Iowa to get their buck measured and show it off. I have seen some unbelievably huge racks in farmers homes or barns that don't know about or care about what a buck scores. They just cut the horns off and hang them in the barn or house.

Yessir, same way in Illinois

Comment

Very cool!! Reminds me of the mounts,at the Scheels in Des Moines.Just incredible mass!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    Yessir, same way in Illinois
                    Iowa is better

Comment

Looks like fun, hope your friends deer pulls it off. Man what a great story that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                        Looks like fun, hope your friends deer pulls it off. Man what a great story that would be.
                        His buck won the archery typical division at the show.

It is crazy the mass and tine length on these bucks when you are standing right beside them and see what they actually scored by certified BC and PY scorers. Then you see bucks scored by the hunter or his buddies and posted on social media and you shake your head.

Comment

goodgoshawallamoddy!! Someone else posted about the mass, and that to me is what is so incredible about these deer!! I'd guess a 350 pound buck in pretty common huh? That tractor has a bucket full of deer!! Good luck to your buddy!!

Comment

Can you share the measurements/score sheet for your buddy's buck? I'd love to see it!

Comment

Iowa is better
                              That's the word on the street

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Can you share the measurements/score sheet for your buddy's buck? I'd love to see it!
                                I haven't seen the score sheet. The gross score was higher so I know there were some deductions.

Here are some numbers from this year Iowa Deer Classic.

* 32 All-time Net Boone & Crockett deer ( 170 typical, 195" non typical )
                                * 18 200" Gross deer
                                * 4 typicals net over 180"
                                * 17 typicals net score 170" or better.

Comment

Working...
                                X