Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Project Car for Beginner and for Kids/Youth???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Project Car for Beginner and for Kids/Youth???

I’m thinking about getting a truck/jeep/car that I can build with the help of my kid so that when they turn 16 I can give it to them. I anticipate buying it a year or two before they turn 16 so we have plenty of time to work on it together.

I don’t change my own oil. This will be something I’ll be learning on as well. I am not afraid of a project but don’t want to start on something overly complicated. I also want something with readily accessible parts.

Obviously Jeep comes to mind, but what years/models? Any other recommendations and the specific model years to look for?

I would go with a regular cab pickup something 86 or older Ford Chevy or Dodge for ease of working and less parts 2wd

Comment

An older jeep wouldn't be bad. Tons of aftermarket stuff and not hard to work on.
      I had a 96 Ford F-150 in high school. Really easy to work on and those straight 6s ran forever.

Comment

Carbureted anything would be good start. Smaller trucks, newer cherokees or wagoneers, something sitting in a farmer field that hasnt been thought about in a couple of years. Anything cool or popular will be expensive as heck to buy.

Older dodge trucks seem to be making a comeback in popularity, and cool as heck as well.

Comment

I just picked up a couple of square body Chevy and Gmc pickups to work on with my son and grandson. I might be willing to part with one of them if you are interested. Both are very straight body wise and they are easy to find parts and are highly collectible. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Comment

'68 Shelby

Comment

70’s model Chevy truck

Comment

I’d agree with the older Chevy pickups.

Comment

I WOULD NOT get an 86 Cherokee. Maybe a couple of years either side of it.

That thing had a bank of 8,10, or 12 solenoids and the Chiltons book for tune up was about 4 or 5 pages long of disconnecting this solenoid, that solenoid, etc.
                  It had a special sensor single barrel Carter carburetor that, at the time, there was no aftermarket rebuilt, no used ones for sale, and the sensor was not a replaceable item. A new one was like $400.

Comment

The 2000-2006 Chevy/GMC trucks/Tahoe/Suburbans are plentiful out there and they are pretty cheap. Super easy to work on and parts are extreemly readily availible and cheap.

Comment

80’ jeep or a square body Chevy

Comment

88-95 gm single cab truck. 350 tbi. Solid trucks. Cheap parts. Simple to work on.

Comment

Get something bid and made of steel. Especially for his first vehicle.

Comment

I know where a 64 Falcon convertible has new carpet not installed. Body needs some work and paint

Comment

Get a ford or chevy pickup from mid 80s to mid 90s. Both are relatively simple and have efi. Parts are cheap. Carbs can be a pita if you don't know how to adjust them. Plus you'll have power steering, power brakes, 3 pt belts, all good for a 16 yr old. Anything 70s has gotten too expensive imo. Seems all the good easy projects have already been chopped and dropped or want more than a new one
                              Last edited by jdg13; 02-28-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X