No announcement yet.

Down sides of 300 BO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what is the comparison between 300BO and 223 in terms of suppression. Are both equally as quiet shooting subs? Obviously though the 300 would carry more energy when comparing subs to subs.

So maybe my better question is how much will I enjoy suppression in terms of hunting.

Comment

Just forget about subs for hunting. Subs are for Home Defense.
      Shoot Supersonic 110-125gr with a suppressor for hunting.

Hunting Suppressed is enjoyable, but its not like in the movies. You are not going to be able to kill a whole sounder of hogs without them spooking. It doesnt work that way.
      Hogs and Deer spook when you shoot a BOW. Shooting suppressed is not as quiet as a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
        So what is the comparison between 300BO and 223 in terms of suppression. Are both equally as quiet shooting subs? Obviously though the 300 would carry more energy when comparing subs to subs.

So maybe my better question is how much will I enjoy suppression in terms of hunting.

If you want to shoot subsonic .223, just get a slingshot. It'll be more effective.

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
        Just forget about subs for hunting. Subs are for Home Defense.

They don't work worth squat on hogs but are lethal on home invaders? That's your position?

Comment

Well this has pretty much talked me out of 300bo and a suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            They don't work worth squat on hogs but are lethal on home invaders? That's your position?
            People are easier to kill than hogs and it can save your ears and keep your wits about you. You ever shot indoors without ear plugs?

Why? I think it fits your needs well. Unless you were thinking it would be quieter than it really is.

Comment

Have you ever shot one? You need to do that before you dive in. It will give you realistic expectations. It's effective and fun. It's not magic, but it's still pretty slick.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with mine. Seemed like a puny 7.62x39. I think the .223 is the way to go in an AR.

Comment

Biggest downfall. You can seat a loaded .300blk onto a .223 chamber and light it off.
                  Last edited by cmh2007; 05-03-2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Here it is from my experience. I have owned both the 300blk and the 6.8. For what you are describing go with the 6.8. With the suppressor it will be hearing safe at the gun without ear pro. As was stated before the pigs will scatter. You just can't get around that. Now let me tell you the 300blk is more expensive to shoot, but is a blast to shoot for fun. No it's not as quiet as you hear on the movies but with my specwar it was pretty dang quiet. I have never shot a 6.5 so I can't help you with that. Right now I am building a 277 wolverine. It is like the blk but with a 270 bullet. Good luck in your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                      You can seat a loaded .300blk onto a .223 chamber and light it off.

WHAT??? Are you telling him he can shoot a 30 cal bullet out of a 223 barrel???

Comment

No I'm telling him that the 300blk will headspace off the bullet and light off with disastrous results. One of the reasons I shoot the 7.62 Wilson tactical. If you don't believe me drop a 300 into your 223 chamber the bullet ogive will headspace on the shoulder junction of the 223 chamber

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                          No I'm telling him that the 300blk will headspace off the bullet and light off with disastrous results. One of the reasons I shoot the 7.62 Wilson tactical. If you don't believe me drop a 300 into your 223 chamber the bullet ogive will headspace on the shoulder junction of the 223 chamber
                          Gotcha. I was like huh? Yes uses the same casing and BCG. Only thing different is the barrel

Comment

Actually the 300blk started life as the .221-300 fireball/whisper. They are almost identical. You can make the brass from both and from what I have read you can actually use both ammo interchangeably. The problem arises when you have somebody that doesn't pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              Have you ever shot one? You need to do that before you dive in. It will give you realistic expectations. It's effective and fun. It's not magic, but it's still pretty slick.

I have not. No one I know has one. I'll shoot one before I go through the process of buying one though. Just seems like a lot of power loss for very little gain.

Comment

The only downside for me with the 300 BO is that I like to shoot it too much. But I reload, never looked for it on the shelf but I have noticed it while hunting 22 ammo. I shot a fox with mine at 140 with just a red dot. Blew out the exit big time. I love the 110 Sierra Varmint round for everything from critter control to pigs. I haven't killed a deer with it so I wouldn't know but under 100 I'd say it would have no problem with a whitetail.

Comment

Working...
                                X