Stain Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stain Question

I decided to use an on old clock to mount a couple euros. I took off the clock face that was glued on and took the belt sander to it. I liked the color it had before and was wondering if y’all think it was stained to get that color or if it was just a sealer that brought out its original color. Disclaimer: I don’t know much about wood.

Before sanding:
    Attached Files

After sanding:
    Attached Files

Comment

I'd bet on clear varnish.

Comment

My guess would be a urethane which will tend to have an amber glow that brought out the color of wood. Take some mineral spirits and wipe on the smooth sanded wood and it will give you an ideal what a clear finish will look like. The mineral spirits will be like a water base clear finish and if you are going with an oil polyurethane or oil urethane then just imagine just slightly more amber color than what the spirits gives you. Mineral spirits is also a good way to test for any bad sanding spots or glue spots or anything else that might show with stain or sealer before actually putting your stain/sealer on.

Comment

I’ll get some mineral spirits and check it out. Do they sell it at Lowe’s? I don’t know if you could tell but it had a reddish color to it before.

Comment

Looks like just a oil based varnish to me.

The reddish is in the wood. is that mesquite?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
              Looks like just a oil based varnish to me.

The reddish is in the wood. is that mesquite?
              I don't know. I found it years ago in the back yard of a house I was renting.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                I’ll get some mineral spirits and check it out. Do they sell it at Lowe’s? I don’t know if you could tell but it had a reddish color to it before.

Yes sold at any paint or hardware store. Probably even Walmart in their paint dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                  Yes sold at any paint or hardware store. Probably even Walmart in their paint dept.
                  Thanks!

Comment

No stain, coated with some type of oil base varnish.

Comment

I tried the mineral spirits and it’s gonna look good (no I didn’t take a picture and yes I’m a slacker). Any suggestions on what oil based varnish I should use? What about method? What’s the best way to apply it?

Comment

After a little searching, I think I'm going to try art resin. This video shows how they do it and it doesn't look too hard.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2t_T4-Rqrg"]How to Resin a Wooden Clock - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                        X