Question for the Expert Woodworkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Expert Woodworkers

I have some cabinets to build so I have been checking the alignment of my blade and fence with the table slots on my old Craftsman 10" table saw. The blade is aligned to the slots within 0.002" and the fence is the same. When I rip a test board I find that it cuts a bow with the center of the cut about 0.030" narrower than the two ends. I will need to rip down some 1X8 maple and poplar to make face frames so getting straight cuts is important. Using a 40T combo blade. What am I doing wrong.

I would first check for a slight bow in the middle of your fence. Next I would extend my fence.

Comment

I would first check for a slight bow in the middle of your fence.

Also check the tightness of your fence, that it's not moving any when pressure is applied.

Comment

I was excited when you were looking for an expert . . .
        Then I saw “wood working”. I got nothing.

Anything else.

BP

Comment

I would not say I am an expert by any means but I spend a lot of time setting my saws up correctly. Between my miter saw and table saw, I really struggle. I still screw it up most of the time. I will say that my big shop tools are more homeowner quality than serious contractor grade.

If I am reading this correctly-Sounds like you are inducing some flex in your fence.

Comment

I am no way even close to an expert.

So you have your saw tuned up. Next, starting with basics you need straight boards for straight cuts. Are you using a joined edge up against the fence? A board with even a slight bow is going to come out with the same bow when run through a table saw.

Comment

As above, joint one edge then rip.

Unless you already bought your material I would get s4s 2" and 2 1/2" for your face frame and door components. Save the 1x8 for slabs and panels.

Comment

First, make sure you have a good blade.
                A dull blade will cause you to put extra pressure on the wood.
                A crappy blade will also flex on you.
                Most likely the fence doesn't have a bow.
                Is everything under the bed nice and tight?

Comment

Sounds like the problem is happening during the blade's maximum contact with the board. You might be running the blade too high, thus, creating extra drag and possibly creating an unwanted path through the board. Saw teeth should only barely clear the top of the board you're cutting.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a Bridgeport style mill. I declared success when I could make a cut and lay it on the mill table with a bright light behind and I was not able to see any light passine between the cut and the table. If I am going to keep this saw I need to invest in a better fence.

Comment

Working...
                    X