No announcement yet.

DIY trapping a Coyote/cat/coon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. I would do a internet search for Texas fur buyer and see what pops up. Rpoutdoors makes A run thought different parks of Texas. If your trapping to sell the furs then you have to have a trappers license and there is a season like I said above. If your trapping just to remove the coyotes and don't sell them then you don't have to have a license and there's no season. You can learn a lot from YouTube.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Great post. I don't boil traps and all that jive though. The waxing of traps is more for guys up north that get tons of snow and have temps that stay in the - all winter long. When I get new traps in the springs and after tuning them I take them and spray them with break cleaner then just let em hang. I also spray paint some green. Works good for me here in tejas. Here is a grey in a dirt hole set.

Comment

Trapping is a lot of trial and error and finding out what works for you. I like dyed and waxed traps and some people don't....There is no right or wrong way as long as your trapping fur. A lot of people probably think the way I wax my traps is wrong but hey it works for me so I’m happy with it.

DWA...in the pic above where was the trap bedded? Looks like it is stacked pretty far from the hole. I stack my traps in the same hole I bed them. if you did that your trap would be about 1-1/2' away from the hole.

Comment

Quick question about trapping: Do those traps like the one two posts above that snap shut on an animal's limb usually break their bones, or just close hard enough to restrain the animal?

I'm dead set on work on a depredation plan for my ranch as part of my strategy to attract and hold more deer, but I am ethically opposed to making an animal suffer for an extended period of time.

So what I'm really trying to get at here is, if I trap them, will they be languishing in agonizing pain until I shoot them, or will they merely be restrained and stuck there until they meet their demise?

Comment

Following...

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                Quick question about trapping: Do those traps like the one two posts above that snap shut on an animal's limb usually break their bones, or just close hard enough to restrain the animal?

I'm dead set on work on a depredation plan for my ranch as part of my strategy to attract and hold more deer, but I am ethically opposed to making an animal suffer for an extended period of time.

So what I'm really trying to get at here is, if I trap them, will they be languishing in agonizing pain until I shoot them, or will they merely be restrained and stuck there until they meet their demise?
                Not an expert but no they do not break any bones so long as you have the right trap. It simply holds them there.

We caught a coon this weekend in a Duke #3 offset, which is designed for coyotes. The coon had more wiggle room in the trap than he should have (because it was large and offset) and his foot was cut up pretty bad.

Comment

Great info.....

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                    Great info.....

Two weekends ago:
                    14 traps yielded 4 coons and 1 oppossum. Baited with tuna and moonpies
                    Traps not painted white, and we disguised them in the grass, under logs, etc.

We spray painted our coon traps white last week and set them this weekend, in the same area but this time did not disguise them. Simply stuck them in the ground 45* angle in all the same places, just didn't hide them.

That resulted in:
                    1st night 14 traps set with marshmellows- 0 coons
                    2nd night Re set with banana moonpie and tuna- 3 coons

Possible Solutions:
                    1. The don't like marshmellows in our area as much as tuna and moonpies
                    2. They didn't like the white traps totally exposed (I think this was the problem)
                    3. We trapped most of the coons in this part of the property (I doubt it)

Comment

Like all this info

Comment

I've never had a trap breakin animals leg. The broken bones comes from having a trap that is too big. I have had coons tear theirselves up trying to get away. I also like to use white spray paint for coons on my dog proof traps. It really drawls their attention to the trap.
                        Last edited by DWA; 02-11-2014, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                          I've never had a trap breakin animals leg. The broken bones comes from having a trap that is too big. I have had coons tear theirselves up trying to get away. I also like to use white spray paint for coons on my dog proof traps. It really drawls their attention to the trap.
                          Broken legs come from lack of swivel points..

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                            Two weekends ago:
                            14 traps yielded 4 coons and 1 oppossum. Baited with tuna and moonpies
                            Traps not painted white, and we disguised them in the grass, under logs, etc.

We spray painted our coon traps white last week and set them this weekend, in the same area but this time did not disguise them. Simply stuck them in the ground 45* angle in all the same places, just didn't hide them.

That resulted in:
                            1st night 14 traps set with marshmellows- 0 coons
                            2nd night Re set with banana moonpie and tuna- 3 coons

Possible Solutions:
                            1. The don't like marshmellows in our area as much as tuna and moonpies
                            2. They didn't like the white traps totally exposed (I think this was the problem)
                            3. We trapped most of the coons in this part of the property (I doubt it)

You need to ditch your baits all together, they all work don't get me wrong but what you need is something that will cast a bigger scent.

Order a half gallon of fish oil (SMELLS) and mix just enough to cat cheap hard cat food. your catches will go up, you can even buy a actual coon lure to make a even louder scent to bring them in.

ALOT of people paint their dps white for visual attraction...I don't do it , don't want humans stealing my traps...

I would rather rely on animal sign and my baits/lures ..

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                              You need to ditch your baits all together, they all work don't get me wrong but what you need is something that will cast a bigger scent.

Order a half gallon of fish oil (SMELLS) and mix just enough to cat cheap hard cat food. your catches will go up, you can even buy a actual coon lure to make a even louder scent to bring them in.

ALOT of people paint their dps white for visual attraction...I don't do it , don't want humans stealing my traps...

I would rather rely on animal sign and my baits/lures ..
                              This is my plan. I got my $10 bag of cat food and now just have to order the fish oil. I plan on mixing it in a 1 gallon ziplock with not much fish oil at all because that smell will spread into the woods easy.

Any place to buy fish oil in person or cheap online in 1/2 or 1 gallon without a ton of shipping costs?

Comment

I make my own from shad I catch for catfishing or fishing saltwater. Place them in canning jars with a paper towel over the jar opening and lightly screw the ring down, but not tight. I put mine in the sun for about a month or you can bury it for a couple months and have the same results, the oil will rise and the other material will sink. Pour off the fish oil into a squirt bottle that has been thoroughly cleaned out of all liquids and your set to go. The solid materials from the shad, bones, flesh, intestines go into another glass jar to use as well.

Yea, it sounds more work than buying the stuff, but you don't have the shipping charges, broken bottles in the mail, and extra charges for the material itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X