Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Sous Vide" Steaks - Step-by-Step. An Incredible Way To Cook A Steak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sous Vide" Steaks - Step-by-Step. An Incredible Way To Cook A Steak!

My buddy sent me this link a few weeks ago and I finally decided to give it a try.

http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

I thought it was going to be complicated, but it was actually quite simple!

HEB had really nice, 1 1/4" thick, Prime Top Sirloin steaks on sale, so I grabbed the biggest one I could find for a whopping $8.87!!

Deb was going to be working late, so this gave me some extra time to run this "experiment"

5:30 PM - I filled the pot with hot water and brought it up to exactly 130 degrees. I have a clip-on thermometer from my turkey fryer and a laser instant read as a back up. While the water was heating up, I seasoned and vacuum sealed the steak.

5:45 - Once the water hit, 130, I dropped the steak in. I then went out to the grill and got the grill and coals ready.

6:00 - Then I got the spuds and onions prepped and in the cast iron pan with some seasoning and olive oil. Sauteed them till they started to brown and then in a 400 degree oven they went.

7:00 - I could see the steak starting to "cook" in the water bath. I had to turn the burner on twice for a few minutes, to keep the temp steady at 130. No big deal.

8:00 - When the coals were ready and the spuds 'n onions were just about done, I took the steak out of the water bath.

8:15 - Put the steak on super-hot coals for 1 minute per side. You are NOT COOKING THE STEAK! It is already cooked

You just give it a flash sear to carmelize the exterior and the seasonings. I got a really nice crust with just a 1 minute high-heat sear!

8:18 - Steaks went on the plate. You DO NOT REST THE MEAT! You serve it immediately off the grill.

8:20 - WOW! I have to admit, I was very skeptical; but I was proven wrong. This was one of the best steaks I had cooked in a VERY long time. I thought it would be overcooked and grey colored, but it was a PERFECT medium-rare!

It fed all four of us (for under $9.00 bucks!) and it was absolutely delicious!

8:45 - Full as a tick, glass of wine in hand watching DVR'd Top Shot. Life is Good!

The method behind this is that the meat gets to delicately and gently cook in the water bath. You lose none of the juices and the meat retains it's natural flavor.

One kind of shocking thing is that you can keep the meat in the water bath for many hours. It can even stay in there overnight as long as the water can be held at 130 degrees (like in a crock pot). Average time is 2-4 hours.

Again, I was very pleasantly surprised by the results and I WILL be doing it again!

J.P.

do you think it would work the same if you wrapped it in tin foil and put it in the oven at 130?

Comment

Actually, no I don't. Everything I have seen on this, including keeping meat warm after it has been cooked, has been by submersion in an exact temp liquid.

J.P.

Comment

The wife is coming back from visiting the granddaughter late Monday and this looks
        like a perfect solution to fixing dinner. Thanks, J P!

Comment

Working...
        X