Another Tires thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Tires thread

My Silverado 1500 has a 4.5" lift and I'm running Toyo Open Country At2s in 295/60r20. My tires are getting chewed up by the caliche roads on this South TX ranch.

Local tire dealers are saying a lot of the oilfield guys down here run Cooper Discover ST Maxx because they hold up well on these roads. Only problem is they don't come in a 295. I can go down to a 285/60r20 or up to a 35/12.50r20. I don't want to go bigger. Will the 285s look too small?

Is there another tire brand I should look at that is extremely durable, doesn't weigh a ton with decent off road performance?

I have always run BFG K2s on my personal and field hand trucks. They have always been the best to me for excessive lease road and highway usage. Usually get around 60-65k on a set on the field hand trucks and I got 93k on my last set for my personal truck.

Comment

That really isn't that much difference in size.

Plug the numbers in here and see. It gives you a good idea.

The best tire size calculator. Use our tire size calculator to find tire size specs and suggested tire sizes. Then check prices for all available tire sizes.

Comment

Any major brand, cooper, bfg , good years, even discount tire pathfinder are all about equal IMO
        Every one has a nose and opinion on a brand

Comment

I just bought me a set of Maxxis Razr MTs, they have outstanding reviews. We’ll see how they hold up. Yokohama’s previous to these were garbage. As for the size, there is almost no difference between the 295s and the 35s.
          Last edited by panhandlehunter; 04-03-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Take a look at Gladiator tires. I had a set of the QR900 M/T’s and they did well. I was told a lot of the oil filed guys in my area ran them on their work trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

TOYO Open Country MT. Load Range F. 35x12.50x20.

Buy once, cry once. I can drive through and over cedar stumps, caliche roads, sharp limestone that cuts tires, and over and through cactus. Best tire I have ever owned and will not ever buy another brand.

Comment

Falken Wildpeak.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                  TOYO Open Country MT. Load Range F. 35x12.50x20.

Buy once, cry once. I can drive through and over cedar stumps, caliche roads, sharp limestone that cuts tires, and over and through cactus. Best tire I have ever owned and will not ever buy another brand.
                  Our roads are hard on Toyos (see OP.) For the record, I loved my Toyos before I moved down here. First set I had over 70,000 miles out before I replaced with new set but was mainly driving on sand with occasional caliche and granite and pavement.
                  There's a big diff between going to the lease a few times a year and driving miles of gravel and oilfield road every single day.

Comparing tire sizes I'm seeing a greater difference between 295s and 35s than 285s and 295s. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Falken Wildpeak.
                    I have had these tires for two years. I am very happy with them. We live out on the gravel and the Wildpeak AT3w have held up well. The Wildpeak are the go to tires the farmers use here and most of them are driving on gravel everyday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      Our roads are hard on Toyos (see OP.) For the record, I loved my Toyos before I moved down here. First set I had over 70,000 miles out before I replaced with new set but was mainly driving on sand with occasional caliche and granite and pavement.
                      There's a big diff between going to the lease a few times a year and driving miles of gravel and oilfield road every single day.

Comparing tire sizes I'm seeing a greater difference between 295s and 35s than 285s and 295s. Am I missing something?
                      Chart size comparison says difference is 295 are only +0.03%
                      Then 35/12.5/20 or roughly about equal size

Comment

Fallen wildpeak at3

Smooth riding tire for an at tire, tough as nails also on gravel roads

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          I have always run BFG K2s on my personal and field hand trucks. They have always been the best to me for excessive lease road and highway usage. Usually get around 60-65k on a set on the field hand trucks and I got 93k on my last set for my personal truck.

I’m with Lyndon on this one. I have 94k currently and still have 5/32’s tread all the way around... gravel, pasture, oilfield lease roads, pulling trailers, and I don’t drive lightly!

All that said, the 285 only mean tread with... the tire will be unnoticeably different in height.

I run a 275/65r20 so I get more height without the super wide tread sticking out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the 285’s would look fine. JMO

Comment

Glad to hear the love for the wildpeaks. Got some AT3s a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X