High School Baseball 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post
    What HIGH SCHOOL select goes year round?? VTool, Perfect Game, etc - their HS summer schedule starts the last weekend in May - again to NOT overlap with HS baseball. HS guys still in the playoff don't play in those events until they are eliminated. You called out an example of one kid threw 90 one day 100 the next - it would be EASY to go to Game Changer and do a search by his name to get around a parent not adding you. You can add yourself as a follow - you don't need to have a parent add you. Look up your example and post it.

If there was a kid at the 3a-2a level getting 30-40 scouts EVERYONE knows who he is. Who was it? Don't tell us you're protecting the identity of the kid - that's BS. EVERYONE knew Bobby Witt Jr or know guys like Jordan Lawler. If 30-40 college scouts breakaway from their current playing schedule and MLB guys leave spring training to show up at a 3a-2a Feb UIL preseason tournament for an UNCOMMITTED player - he's a nationally ranked guy and privacy is long gone- who was it? There are VERY few guys would this would happen for. Would be super easy to tell us.
    You sure are on edge. Your way or the high way eh? I would entertain you but this teacher has to teach today.... although as a high school baseball coach, in your opinion, I do not care about the kids..........

Jared Kelly Refugio.... 30-40 scouts there. We had them down both fences and the box was covered.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      Bobby Witt Jr drew more scouts to every event than i have ever witnessed. I think he will be in the show quickly
      Our oldest was on the same Baseball Factory Under Armor Pre-Season All American team with Jr in Phoenix. Great kid. Amazing talent. The number of scouts following that team because of him at the event was unreal.

What position do you see him playing at? I know he was a SS out of HS, but with his speed - I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to CF.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Bobby Witt Jr drew more scouts to every event than i have ever witnessed. I think he will be in the show quickly
        I played with and against a fellow named John Patterson. In 1996 every game he pitched there would be 28 scouts from every MLB club at those games. They would rope off an area for them. Every pitch 28 guns would go up and then down. He ended being the 1st HS player drafted that year at #5 or#6. I would be in the on deck box watching them. It was wild! As freshman we both were 82-84, as seniors he was 96-98 and I was still 82-84 lol. He made a good career in the Bigs and now runs a facility over in North Dallas area. Good memories. My boy is in 8th grade and we play the travel ball deal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
          This weekend starts it out for Liberty Hill v. Ellison for a scrimmage game.. can’t wait, my son has been working his whole life for this. Y’all be good!
          Bobby, do y'all come to Lampasas this year? If so let me know, I would like to come watch that game and meet you.

Comment

I cannot imagine any players playing in select tournaments during the HS season.
            Tryouts are in January and the season won’t start until after the HS season. We had Asa Lacy and Forrest Whitley in our district. Both first rounders plus David Hamilton. Hard to draw more MLB scouts than that.

Comment

I enjoy the High School Season more than select ball. It may not be the same talent but the games mean something. Central Heights hasn't lost a district game since 2008. That means something to the boys and to the school. My oldest was on a very talented summer team that went all over the county. It was fun but there wasn't the same feel as high school ball. It was more of an individual thing in the summer. This is his senior year. I just hope UIL stays away and lets them play this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                I enjoy the High School Season more than select ball. It may not be the same talent but the games mean something. Central Heights hasn't lost a district game since 2008. That means something to the boys and to the school. My oldest was on a very talented summer team that went all over the county. It was fun but there wasn't the same feel as high school ball. It was more of an individual thing in the summer. This is his senior year. I just hope UIL stays away and lets them play this year.
                ^I feel the exact same way. Nothing like representing your school. I can’t imagine UIL shutting down baseball after allowing packed gyms to watch basketball all winter.

Comment

Witt Jr is compared to Oz often and the highest scouted SS since Oz. I watched him make a throw against Corsicanna that was the 3rd basemans ball. Witt backhanded in shallow left field and threw a lazer across. He has range, arm, and if he can hit the ball at the major league level he will be known as one of the greats.
                  It is not uncommon to see HS pitchers go in the first round and happens every year. Witt Jr went 2nd overall and as a middle infielder out of HS. I am just a baseball fan and saw something special - the guys that do this for a living obviously saw something they don't see often and knew he was special.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                    but this is a 4A school... Lots of kids playing baseball and I could understand it more if the basketball coach was saying no, but its the baseball coach. Makes no sense, especially when there is no practice conflicts.

I can understand basketball taking priority, but let the kids practice when they can.
                    It’s a standard thing for all levels. Had the same policy at the 3A school I worked at and it was used at other 2A schools in the area. Most ADs have the policy to make sure an athlete fulfills his or her commitment to a team and sport before leaving for another sport. It would not be good if the half the basketball team quit before the season ended to go compete in baseball or track.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                      Didn’t you guys have Grayson Rodriguez that was drafted out of HS?

Comment

Yes he graduated in 2018 and got drafted number 11 overall. My oldest got to play with him. It was crazy to see 30 mlb scouts at every game. His little brother is gonna be special too. But he is just a 7th grader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have seen in person 10-15 scouts at a HS game in Kingwood looking at a player Mason Quinn that got drafted last year. Yes there are a few exception that scouts will break away and go look at a kid. The kids won’t play summer ball until after HS season is over and showcase starts. I have been coaching select ball for years and have never seen them playing until then and if you do see them playing it’s the kids that did not make their HS team and they are playing now what they call second chance HS ball to get the kids reps. They are kids playing other school kids that did not make it, but play under a different organization not the school.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                            Bobby, do y'all come to Lampasas this year? If so let me know, I would like to come watch that game and meet you.
                            We do play Lampasas but it’s during a tournament in Salado. That would be good to meet some of y’all on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                              I have seen in person 10-15 scouts at a HS game in Kingwood looking at a player Mason Quinn that got drafted last year. Yes there are a few exception that scouts will break away and go look at a kid. The kids won’t play summer ball until after HS season is over and showcase starts. I have been coaching select ball for years and have never seen them playing until then and if you do see them playing it’s the kids that did not make their HS team and they are playing now what they call second chance HS ball to get the kids reps. They are kids playing other school kids that did not make it, but play under a different organization not the school.
                              Close, it was actually Masyn Winn.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                                Close, it was actually Masyn Winn.
                                Yes sir. You are right LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X