2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josh W View Post
    Did good with a couple of buddies in poc today.
    Nice!!! Everything was right this morning... except no fish. Water was clean, wind was calm, bait was present... I caught 5 dinks and my buddy caught 7.

Comment

Congrats Josh & bps!!

Comment

2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by HELLRAZOR; 03-31-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Congrats Josh & bps!!
          Thank you!

Comment

Nice!!!

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Nice cap!!!

Comment

Should have gone home after work and slept.

15-20 mph wind. Good visibility 18”. Sandy shell bottom. Some bait present, but Didn’t find any feeding fish.

Comment

Haven't been able to fish this year due to a sick Mom. She finally made a positive turn which gave me a chance to run the skiff on the Laguna Saturday.

Missed our annual Wahoo trip to Flower Garden Bank, which turned out to be a pretty good trip. Doug and Glen managed to make that run. A bunch of us had scheduling conflicts this year.

This past Saturday, knowing the fast approaching cold front was going to make fishing iffy, running as much fuel out of the tank and getting out on the water with a new rod, with the Pup and my Son, was the focus. Run the boat, wet some lines and get out of town a bit.

Did manage to build a few custom rods, in spite of the cabin fever with staying close to home to cover for Mom.

Couple of spinners for Uncle Saggy. 8-12lb left and 2-6lb Ultra light class right. Both built on MHX blanks. 8-12lb will cover inshore, bass and White River Brown trout. The 2-6lb is Crappie and Rainbow trout.

United Composites "Predator" blank for Glen. 7ft, 50 - 80lb class - casting blank for tuna. AVET LX 2-speed loaded with 65lb braid with a 65lb flouro top shot leader is the ticket. I fished this same blank/reel combo on last year's long range Mexican Baja trip as well as last Fall's Gulf of Mexico Yellowfin tuna trip. This combo flat out puts the hurt on fish up to 130lbs and casts lures and or jigs very well. The blank is rated for lure weights 1 ounce up to 10 ounces. There really isn't any blank on the offshore market, that has that range of lure weights.

Built the stick on the right to compliment my last year's inshore casting blank to the left. Both are MHX blanks. Left 7ft; Right 7'3" Stretched the split grip to get extra casting leverage for distance. Both using Lew's Inshore series reels.

Good day to be on the water

Managed to pick up a three redfish and a pair of specks. Casting lures in a SE to NE swinging wind. Covered about 35 miles of water running the skiff and burned a few gallons of fuel. Kept an eye on the surrounding anglers - didn't see anything on fire.

First fish on the new stick - bombs it long. Speck hit a modified Gold Spoon I rigged with a specific bucktail color pattern I developed a few years ago. It's a great Spring Redfish/Speckled trout covering setup. Specks chase the bucktail colors and redfish chase the gold spoon color.

Comment

Fished yesterday morning, 10-15 wind, clean water, some bait flipping, with an outgoing tide. Managed to catch zero. Bottom in this area had grass but I’m guessing all the fresh water killed it. Nothing but mud now.

Planning on fishing the next 3-5 days. We’ll see how that goes.

Comment

Nice looking fishing rods, Rod. I cant for the life of me understand how you deal with those long handles, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Nice looking fishing rods, Rod. I cant for the life of me understand how you deal with those long handles, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
                      Lol... me too but I bet he can cast a country mile!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Lol... me too but I bet he can cast a country mile!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

True but those baitcaster only hold so much line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They way my kid spins around in the boat everything I got would be in the water or broke with a rod blank that long

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            Man I'd have to agree!! LOVE the looks, but DANG, I'd hit my self in the gut every cast with those handles! For me, the shorter, the better... seein' as I wade whenever possible.

Would love to have me a Rod rod one of these days tho!

And Rod, it is hard to beat a Johnson spoon this time of year. When we used to fish Third Pass (Mexico), that's about all we used in the surf with some super-secret bucktails I tied with some hair and flash-a-bou on heavier Mustad hooks...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Man I'd have to agree!! LOVE the looks, but DANG, I'd hit my self in the gut every cast with those handles! For me, the shorter, the better... seein' as I wade whenever possible.

And Rod, it is hard to beat a Johnson spoon this time of year. When we used to fish Third Pass (Mexico), that's about all we used in the surf with some super-secret bucktails I tied with some hair and flash-a-bou on heavier Mustad hooks...
                              Same here. Anything with more than a 8" handle and i refuse to fish with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

I went with a kayak rod for that very reason.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X