Air compressor advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air compressor advise

Looking to get a new one. My old husky hand me down is having some electrical problems.

What brands y’all using or familiar with??

Looking at 30-60 gal. Don’t want to break the bank but something reliable. Mostly used for garage air tools, tires some light mechanic work. Nothing full on industrial

What y’all say

I bought a Husky 30 gal. a year ago. So far been happy with it. Can run nail guns, impacts, or air chisel and have never have had to wait on it to build pressure. What ever brand you go with would highly recommend one that has a oiled compressor. They are quiet compared to oil less models. My experience with a oil less is they will work fine but as they age they continue to get louder and eventually end up burning up the compressor. Burned up a few of them, but with that said they were being used in a construction site daily. Emglo was my best compressor till it was stolen out of the back of my truck

Comment

2nd on avoiding the oil less types.

Comment

get at least a 60 gal 5 hp. Most brands are good for at home shops
        I have a twin cylinder 80 gal at 5hp. It don't have to run every few minutes
        What electrical problems are you having ? Can't be more than motor or pressure control

Comment

Really depends on how much you want to spend and if noise is a factor.

I run a 60 gallon Quincy and it’s been great powering the whole shop

Next one will probably be a rotary screw type they are quiet and efficient

Comment

I’m running a speed aire 80 gallon. It is the cat’s meow.

Comment

Bought a Kobalt 26 gallon Quiet Tech and it is significantly quieter than standard compressors. Ive used it to run a nailer for trim installation, impact power tools and air chisel for hours. I have had it 6 months no problems. Its nice not having to worry about loud compressor kicking on while you are working in garage.

Comment

If you are just having electrical problems why not fix the electrical problems? There isn't much to an air compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  If you are just having electrical problems why not fix the electrical problems? There isn't much to an air compressor.
                  I was thinking this as well. Not to mention you could buy the piston, ring & cylinder sleeve pretty cheap also. I rebuilt my two old crappy Craftsman's and they got quieter and filled in half the time. But I usually try to fix anything/everything before trashing it.

Unless you have some money to burn. Maybe early stimulus planning. lol

J

Comment

About four or five years ago, my second Black Max compressor died, I want to say they were both 60 gallon tanks. Both were noisy as can be, waste of time trying to talk when either was running. The second one, the motor died, I replaced the motor and kept going, till one day, it threw a rod. I decided it was time to buy a new compressor and get something better, but I did not have much money to spend.

I did a lot of reading on the subject, then bought a 60 gallon North Star compressor from Northern Tools. That has been the best compressor I have had, by far. When it's running, its much quieter than the Black Max compressors, very big difference in the noise. Then this new compressor hardly ever turns on, when it does, it does not run long, before it has the pressure built back up. The old Black Max compressors had to run quite a while before they got the pressure built back up and shut off. I would bet in a weeks time, this new compressor runs only about 10 to 15 minutes, those numbers may be high. That's when I am using it every day. The old Black Max compressors, I would bet they ran at least one and a half hours per day I had was using them, so probably about nine hours in a weeks time. So the cost to run those had per month had to be much higher than this North Star. Those old Black Max compressors leaked all the time, I tried to fix the leaks, gave up after two or three attempts. Then they took so long to build pressure back up.
                    I want to say the North Star compressor was very close in price to the Black Max compressors, definitely a much better compressor.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-30-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I have a Craftsman 20 gal that I bought in 1994 that is my Shop Compressor. Runs great.
                      I have two Craftsman Pancake compressors at other location and love um. Now that Lowe’s carries the brand.

Comment

The electrical problem is The on/off switch that is tied into the pressure cut off. So basically I need to turn it on and off before the pressure builds up and blows the pressure valve. And usually I have to use a long screw driver to turn it on/off

And since I’m not into this compressor for anything. I think it’s time to upgrade

Comment

I went with a dewalt and love it. Much quieter than the others I have had.

Comment

I've got harbor freight but it's definitely not quiet

Comment

Bought me a craftsman 20 gallon, kinda loud but is durable and easy to move around

Comment

Working...
                              X