Best 25.06 round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 25.06 round?

In yalls opinion, whats the best 25.06 round for deer? Knock em in their tracks round? Ive been shooting Federal 117gr. Worked real well, til this weekend. Shot (or tried to shoot) 9 rounds. Center punched the primer and all I got was "click". didnt fire. Two out of eleven rounds fired. Its a deep punch in center of primer too. Gonna take bullets to a gun shop and ask them. I wouldnt think it was firing pin if two fired. But dang, 9 bad primers in same box?
    Wondering if anyone has shot a different brand that knocks em in their tracks?

I have had the same problem with the 120 Federal Fusion in 25-06. Multiple primer failures

Comment

Hornady Superformance SST I what I use. I’ve killed mule deer out to 375 yards one shot one kill!

Comment

i shot 3 deer and two hogs with some Hornady Precision hunter 110gr ELD-X and haven't had any mis-fires but also didn't have any mis-fires with the box of federal 117 grain i had either. shooting out of a Weatherby Vanguard S2. i will say though i like the hornady enough to buy it again.

Comment

Hornady 117gr American whitetail. They don’t know what hits em

Comment

I think this box is about 4-5 years old. I didnt think they'd go bad after that amount of time? I just shot a hog with them last year, and a sika buck with them two years ago. Just seemed weird that only two out of 11 fired this weekend. All center punched primers too. Ammo kept inside the house in the rifle case.

Comment

I shoot hand loads now but before that had great luck with the Hornady Superformance. It's loaded with a 117 gr. SST.

Comment

Yall think 100gr? 117gr? 120gr?

Comment

117 Sierras been the fastest drop them in their track bullet I’ve used. Just shot a doe the other day at 40 yards with a 115 Berger at 3050fps and she went 25 yards. Baseball sized hole on back side. This is trail she left, fro where she stood. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	24604278

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                    I think this box is about 4-5 years old. I didnt think they'd go bad after that amount of time? I just shot a hog with them last year, and a sika buck with them two years ago. Just seemed weird that only two out of 11 fired this weekend. All center punched primers too. Ammo kept inside the house in the rifle case.
                    agreed, shouldn't have been an issue.

As for loads, I always reloaded my .25-06 ... Speer Grand Slam bullets, 120 grn. Killed several WT with it, nice exit wounds, good blood trails whenever they ran.
                    Last edited by tdwinklr; 01-06-2020, 01:09 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
                      Hornady Superformance SST I what I use. I’ve killed mule deer out to 375 yards one shot one kill!

^^^this
                      I’ve shot 3 animals with my 25-06 and this ammo, 2 were DRT & the 3rd went 10 yards
                      Met all expectations

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
                        This

Comment

85 gr TSX at 3500 fps straight killer

Comment

My feelings with the 25-06, and I am a big fan. Go with the monolithic bullets, they are usually 85 to 100 grains, and take advantage of the increased velocity, or, go with 110 to 120 gr. cup and core, like the Hornady ballistic tip, or interlocks. Both are going to get the job done.
                            Using cup and core bullets concern me if you hit anything like bones, as I always expect an exit wound, unless you are shooting end to end.
                            So my mind keeps coming back to the nosler partition, as I feel it will perform better at lower velocities than the monolithics at extreme ranges.

This all comes back to the your personal preferences and the expected ranges you shoot. As seen in this thread, 85 grain to 120 gr. projectiles work. Find a bullet that shoots good in your rifle, and go kill some deer with it.

I have seen a lot of deer killed, but only eyewitness to one with the 25-06, and it was the first deer my grandson had ever killed. A 115 gr. partition shot high behind the leg, (he was nervous), and the doe turned and ran, and less than 10 seconds later we hear it kicking in the brush. Easy to find as it was close, but due to the high shot, no blood trail. When we found the deer, it was laying in a blood puddle as big as the deer, but not a drop on the ground until it fell. My opinion, is if he had hit the shoulder as he was trying, the deer would have been laying in tits tracks. And since we were only 60 feet away, I think it would have been close by with whatever 25-06 bullet he shot it with.
                            I wouldn't have any confidence in that mfg's bullets had I had an experience like the Op. Confidence goes a long way with marksmanship. (I like Federal ammo)
                            I tend to shoot a lot if I am able, so I don't have any ammo that is 4 years old, excepting some of the bricks of .22's I bought before and during the drought.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                              Hornady 117gr American whitetail. They don’t know what hits em
                              This is what what we use in our 25-06 as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X