Hog Processing Ideas DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Processing Ideas DIY

Alright DIY Guys, what do you make from your hogs you kill and process? I finally killed a sow to make something with. My daughter and I Killed this hog during her first ever sit in a deer blind this weekend (she's 5) and her first question was what kind of meat does it make? And when I told her sausage she about flipped out with excitement. I have not processed a hog into jerky/snack sticks. the last one I tried to make into breakfast sausage but it was a rangy boar and had a funk to it so I tossed it. looking for some options. Want to make something out of it with her. help stress the message of why we do this.

Fiesta makes a pan sausage seasoning mix that I've found at Academy. It's better than anything I've come up with on my own, even after looking at web sites and reading in books. Just follow directions, and it is really good.

Comment

carnitas

Comment

I love to take the hams and slow cook them on the "egg". Makes great pulled pork but you need to prep the meat.

I usually clean off most of the fat, membrane, etc. and then let it soak in either pineapple juice or italian dressing for 24 hours. Then I use a mixture of seasoning, including brown sugar or coat liberally in bbq sauce. Slow cook around 225 for 6-8 hours depending on size. Once cooked I usually put it in either the stove or an older cooler to "steep" for a while and help breakdown the meat.

Comment

Pan sausage breakfast sausage
          Obviously loin and chops can be great
          The rump chunks from the hams (dunno what they're called lol) make a great crock pot pulled pork definitely do that. There is a long thread here with recipe for that.
          Ground goes in spaghetti

Comment

Wet cured ham. Have one in the frig, gonna smoke it Saturday. Summer Sausage and links.
            Maybe save a roast for the pit.

Last edited by DesertDug; 11-12-2018, 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Jerky

Comment

I made some summer sausage outa some trimmings last year. Just used the LEM package that makes 10lbs. Mixed 7 pounds wild trimmings with 3 pounds pork fat obtained from the meat counter at Whole Foods. Turned out great. Will be making more this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                  Jerky
                  This, just be sure to cook it before eating.

Comment

I've been wanting to try the chorizo recipe that's posted on here

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                      Fiesta makes a pan sausage seasoning mix that I've found at Academy. It's better than anything I've come up with on my own, even after looking at web sites and reading in books. Just follow directions, and it is really good.

X2! They sell it my HEB. One container makes 5lbs of breakfast sausage.

Comment

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                          I've been wanting to try the chorizo recipe that's posted on here

Do you have a link to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope you kept the ribs, cheek, and neck!

Comment

Working...
                            X