Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
3rdShot
Ten Point

Default Going on 2 yrs of Trump...reactions?

Looking over a news story about the current circus of the SCOTUS confirmation process...there was a reference to the meltdowns and reactions that happened election night. Went to youtube and watched a couple of the news show compilations with all of the histerics / doomsday / disgusted / unbelievable / what are people thinking / world is ending / etc. comments (FUNNY STUFF!!).

After two years of the Trump administration...have people's lives really been upended? Or were all the screaming reactions just noise to be making noise?

A couple of my family/extended family members were big anti-Trump folks...since the election, both have progressed in their careers, one has moved to a bigger house, but still rant about how bad everything is under Trump...?

What am I missing? Not on a touchy/feely/emotional level, but has the true-life reality part of going about day-to-day life and business, changed significantly in some way? Don't want to start a name-calling firestorm, just curious as to what factor of having Trump as POTUS done to anyone?

Dave
3rdShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Trump has been pretty bad for the area I live in, which voted heavily republican in the election. In general, I’m sure the economy is doing fine across the country & we’re probably the exception, but it still stings a bit and I know he’s lost a lot of votes around here (not that those votes matter in the big picture, at all).

I’d say he’s about like any other politician. Does about half of what he says, about half the people like him, and half the people hate him.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
Trump has been pretty bad for the area I live in, which voted heavily republican in the election. In general, Iím sure the economy is doing fine across the country & weíre probably the exception, but it still stings a bit and I know heís lost a lot of votes around here (not that those votes matter in the big picture, at all).

Iíd say heís about like any other politician. Does about half of what he says, about half the people like him, and half the people hate him.
Curious has to why he has been bad in your area?
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Curious has to why he has been bad in your area?
Tariffs are putting the screws to row crop farmers. Everyone understands that our trade situation needed fixing, but the sudden change shocked the market and it may never recover (beans, anyway). China can buy beans from SA & Brazil, Argentina etc. would love to take up the slack. Pretty dangerous/irresponsible gamble that really cost a lot of guys a lot of money.

That being said, itís a small percentage of the population and no one cares. The average person has no idea where their food comes from and does not care, so long as itís cheap.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Tariffs are putting the screws to row crop farmers. Everyone understands that our trade situation needed fixing, but the sudden change shocked the market and it may never recover (beans, anyway). China can buy beans from SA & Brazil, Argentina etc. would love to take up the slack. Pretty dangerous/irresponsible gamble that really cost a lot of guys a lot of money.

That being said, itís a small percentage of the population and no one cares. The average person has no idea where their food comes from and does not care, so long as itís cheap.
I kinda figured it was agriculture related
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

House prices in my neighborhood have gone through the roof, and getting hard to find older cars........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:
Itís an up and down industry, really just the way it is. In any political plan, there will be winners and losers. Iím not the worlds biggest Trump fan, but I think his economic plans are good overall & there should end up being more winners than losers.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
He saved my industry.
Being a coal miner feels a lot like a buggy whip salesman a 100 years ago.
I am sure at some point we will all be out of work but we were done for sure under Hilary
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Trump has been pretty bad for the area I live in, which voted heavily republican in the election.
If you step and look at the big picture, I am sure you would admit that he is better than any Clinton would have been? Right?

The rice farmers I know in Louisiana, sure arent complaining that a Clinton isnt in office. But then again, they probably dont worry about Arkincide the way people do in Arkansas.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
MAGA!

It's so nice to wake up every morning to hear rabid democrats screaming and slobbering all over the place. If we could just harness their tears we could grow watermelons in the Mojave desert.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
If you step and look at the big picture, I am sure you would admit that he is better than any Clinton would have been? Right?

The rice farmers I know in Louisiana, sure arent complaining that a Clinton isnt in office. But then again, they probably dont worry about Arkincide the way people do in Arkansas.
Big picture, maybe. Thatís all speculation at this point because no one knows what might have happened, but I am glad that she didnít end up getting the job.

Iíve never heard of Arkancide, but have you talked to your Louisiana friends lately about input or commodity prices? There are a couple sorry old rice farms around here and rumor has it the guys working them arenít jumping for joy 😉
Old 09-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

He is sticking to his campaign promises and delivering on them even with all the interference from the Democrat Party. I see Trump dealing with the problems and not the symptoms. He is laying the foundation by addressing the fundamental problems in making the changes necessary so that even when he is out of office those changes will still remain in effect at least until a future president and administration comes along and changes them. In my opinion he is showing the Republicans how to take the Democrats head-on and fight back against their political correctness and their crooked ways.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
Passafist
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

My 401k and other investments are way up! I do believe a vote for Trump was really a vote against Clinton
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Trump keeps winning. Our economy is on fire. He is putting America first. And keep in mind he is doing all of this in the midst of a constant bombardment of Libs/Dems trying to take his head off.

If you can't recognize all that has been accomplished thus far then you are a never-Trumper and won't be convinced otherwise.

See you at the polls!
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #15
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Making more money and getting to keep more of it at the same time. Winning all the way around

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
MAGA!

It's so nice to wake up every morning to hear rabid democrats screaming and slobbering all over the place. If we could just harness their tears we could grow watermelons in the Mojave desert.
no one could eat them,, they would be so bitter
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #17
Leemo
Ten Point

Quote:

Life ainít easy
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #18
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
Trump keeps winning. Our economy is on fire. He is putting America first. And keep in mind he is doing all of this in the midst of a constant bombardment of Libs/Dems trying to take his head off.

If you can't recognize all that has been accomplished thus far then you are a never-Trumper and won't be convinced otherwise.

See you at the polls!
X2
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:

We do and buy local. None of the farmers here are complaining as they look at the long term. An industry can not survive forever on subsidies...
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
We do and buy local. None of the farmers here are complaining as they look at the long term. An industry can not survive forever on subsidies...
Iím curious about what your local guys are producing, because the possibility of getting excluded from the largest market in the world (China) is definitely a long term problem. The only thing long term that I see happening in ag is more and more inequality among producers leading to bigger companies taking over everything. Thatís something I really thought that this admin would curtail. Should have known.

The subsidy thing is a pretty common ďtalking pointĒ that people like to drop. Most canít elaborate at all beyond that line. Yes, there are some programs that many farmers take advantage of, some more than others depending on area/conditions.

For example, I was working near Hearne several years ago in that little strip of ground near the river and met the guy who was farming it one day. It was hot and dry and his corn wasnít looking good. I asked him what he thought heíd get out of it and he said ďdoesnít matter, itís insured and I just need that thing to keep goingĒ- pointing at a pump jack. He drove off into the dust. Not to say that attitude doesnít exist in my area in isolated cases, but our ground is a lot better and people are trying to take their crop to market on fair terms and make a living.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Go trump. Things are better now if he had any help at all just think how much greater America would be. He is tired like the rest of Americans of giving away working people's money to low life freeloaders Tired of American getting taken advantage of by other countries and is leveling the playing field. Build then wall and control immigration
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #22
brysdad
Ten Point

Forgive my ignorance about farming. Would it be possible to grow more fruits and vegetables domestically that are typically imported? Also, how does the CRP program work? I thought that the government paid farmers not to plant anything for a number of years? Seems to me that farmers could adjust what they are growing to what is in demand domestically. I know that is a super boiled down thought process and, admittedly, I know next to nothing about how it all works.
brysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #23
Leemo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysdad View Post
Forgive my ignorance about farming. Would it be possible to grow more fruits and vegetables domestically that are typically imported? Also, how does the CRP program work? I thought that the government paid farmers not to plant anything for a number of years? Seems to me that farmers could adjust what they are growing to what is in demand domestically. I know that is a super boiled down thought process and, admittedly, I know next to nothing about how it all works.
Go to the USDA website, type in your county, next look at the farmers name and see the amount of $$$$$$$$$ they receive each year, never mind
Thatís why agriculture bills are tied in with the food stamp programs so they canít be separated 😠
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #24
Thumper
Pope & Young

We need 6 more years!

Last edited by Thumper; 09-28-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #25
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Go to the USDA website, type in your county, next look at the farmers name and see the amount of $$$$$$$$$ they receive each year, never mind
Thatís why agriculture bills are tied in with the food stamp programs so they canít be separated 😠

CRP program is welfare for land owners.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

See you at the polls!
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #27
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

That is not what the CRP program is or is about. It's about giving farmers the financial incentive to not harm land that is marginally useful for crops. There are many benefits of the program for wildlife and the agricultural markets as well as insurance companies that provide crop insurance.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #28
cabo390
Four Point

National debt over 21 trillion. Not sure what a conservative is anymore.
cabo390 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #29
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
We need 6 more years!
Yes sir.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #30
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
That is not what the CRP program is or is about. It's about giving farmers the financial incentive to not harm land that is marginally useful for crops. There are many benefits of the program for wildlife and the agricultural markets as well as insurance companies that provide crop insurance.

Gary
No, no, no... itís welfare for farmers! I seen it on Fox!

Youíre exactly right. It laid a lot of marginal land out of cultivation that was getting insurance farmed (government backed insurance, for the talking point guys) every other year, anyway. The benefits to wildlife, the taxpayer, and the environment from the CRP program are immeasurable. People are just clueless.

Back to the original OP, I do think Trump has probably been better than the alternative. Weíll come back around here, sooner or later.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #31
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado,

My reaction? TRUMP2020
lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #32
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo390 View Post
National debt over 21 trillion. Not sure what a conservative is anymore.
Where would the debt be under President Sanders or President Clinton?

Congress, both parties, is more to blame because they have the power of the purse.

$21T is indeed a staggering number.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #33
4wheels
Eight Point

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...weekend-report

trump is fighting for American business. This time Farmers and Auto manufactures
4wheels is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #34
4wheels
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Where would the debt be under President Sanders or President Clinton?

Congress, both parties, is more to blame because they have the power of the purse.

$21T is indeed a staggering number.
This is one of the bad things about a President committed to making a deal. Trump got rid of earmarks. And now spending is exploding.
4wheels is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #35
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

My reaction.....

Loving every minute of it.....

I smile every time I see a liberal tear
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
LWC
Ten Point

Better than I thought so far...still TBD
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #37
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Big picture, maybe. Thatís all speculation at this point because no one knows what might have happened, but I am glad that she didnít end up getting the job.

Iíve never heard of Arkancide, but have you talked to your Louisiana friends lately about input or commodity prices? There are a couple sorry old rice farms around here and rumor has it the guys working them arenít jumping for joy 😉
How about Nafta? Remind me again who signed it and who undid it? Sometimes when a door closes, a window opens up. Atleast that is the way the stock market seems to look at it.

Have you seen crawfish prices? Them rice farms just converted over to mud bug farms. But these guys work their own farms.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #38
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Kinda like a quarterback, when it is good they get too much credit, when it's bad they get too much of the blame. Overall he has done much better than I expected, with about the amount of circus that I did expect.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #39
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

The tariffs have absolutely disrupted my business. I am heading over to China later this week to meet with my factories and discuss. A lot of the products no longer make sense to produce overseas and we are moving production back to the U.S. I have some coworkers who are furious over it because of the extra work they now have to do moving production around. Americans have become so lax over the past couple decades no wonder it was so easy to take advantage of us. Slight inconvenience to our day to day life and we cry like babies. Whatever happened to ask not what you country can do for you...but what you can do for your country? Anyone who's says China is feeling the heat is clueless.

MAGA!!!!
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #40
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I did't vote for Trump. I voted "AGAINST" Hitlery... My ballot was cast in Trump's favor because of that. This time around, I WILL VOTE FOR TRUMP. I'll also vote for everyone I can that supports his agenda.
Can y'all imagine how much he could have accomplished if we'd had real Republicans filling those seats in the Congress?!
He's had a heck of a fight in his attempt of draining the swamp... His own party is so worried about protecting their control, they themselves cannot support his efforts. They well know that they will lose their strangle-hold on the purse strings they have right now.
The DemoKrauts, I am not surprised at how they have reacted, though even I did not know they'd stoop so low... And the media has lost ALL credibility to the point, it's hard to get the straight story any longer... Best way to know if something is "right" is to gauge how the left responds... If they're pizzin' and moaning, or doing bizarre and unbelievable things to keep something from happening, then that's something I'd support...

Our Nation is spiraling out of control of good and decent folks at a pace that seems too steep to pull out of the impending certain crash...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #41
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

First good step would be to take away his Twitter privileges.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #42
GarGuy
Pope & Young

When trump started talking about running,, i thought it was a serious threat. i thought he was a political hack out to destroy the repubs. i have been very skeptical about him and have made many posts and even started threads saying so.

At this point all i can say is GO TRUMP! im on the TRUMP TRAIN. he says silly stuff and accts kinda childish....all the while making America GREAT AGAIN. Go Trump.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #43
417scott
Spike

I see this as two questions, one of Donald Trump and another of the Trump Administration.

Trump as a person is petty, ego driven, divisive and narcissistic. Trump, the man is a lying creep who has cheated his way through life.

The Trump Administration has been above average but not stellar. About average for an administration with control of both houses of congress. The administration has been successful in making the United States more competitive on the world stage and improved the current lives of a majority of Americans. Specifically with respect to regulations and corporate taxes. I do worry that the current improvements are at the expense of the future, particularly increasing the debt to GDP ratio.

The real story of the Trump administration will come in the next few years, particularly if the Republicans lose control of the house. Will the administration be able to shift gears and begin to reach across the floor and build consensus or will the administration divide the country further. This acceleration of the divide between left and right is what worries me the most about the future of the country.
417scott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #44
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417scott View Post
I see this as two questions, one of Donald Trump and another of the Trump Administration.

Trump as a person is petty, ego driven, divisive and narcissistic. Trump, the man is a lying creep who has cheated his way through life.

The Trump Administration has been above average but not stellar. About average for an administration with control of both houses of congress. The administration has been successful in making the United States more competitive on the world stage and improved the current lives of a majority of Americans. Specifically with respect to regulations and corporate taxes. I do worry that the current improvements are at the expense of the future, particularly increasing the debt to GDP ratio.

The real story of the Trump administration will come in the next few years, particularly if the Republicans lose control of the house. Will the administration be able to shift gears and begin to reach across the floor and build consensus or will the administration divide the country further. This acceleration of the divide between left and right is what worries me the most about the future of the country.
Consensus...you have got to be kidding. Really? Lmfao

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #45
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Totally disagree. Twitter allows him to speak directly to the people in his exact words and in real time. Can you imagine how twisted and distorted his messages would be if it were all funneled through a main stream news source before reaching us? How much would never reach us? He's not a polished politician. Its been 2 year now get over it.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #46
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Totally disagree. Twitter allows him to speak directly to the people in his exact words and in real time. Can you imagine how twisted and distorted his messages would be if it were all funneled through a main stream news source before reaching us? How much would never reach us? He's not a polished politician. Its been 2 year now get over it.
X2
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #47
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417scott View Post

The last thing I want from any Republican to reach across the isle to work with the Democrats. This is not 1980 and these Democrats have no ideas worthy of any Republican compromise. If the Democrats want to compromise they need to cross the isle and give up something. Republicans have been giving things up for 30 years which led us to Obama and a giant crop of socialist.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #48
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Working with these Dems means giving in to ALL their demands, with a smile of course!
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #49
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
No kidding. How would anyone even know the women who accused him were investigated and then were found to be paid liars?

You think it was on the news?
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #50
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Why? How is he truly talk to Americans who voted for him? CNN?
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top