Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Van Dyke verdict - Guilty or innocent?

I haven't seen this discussed. Should he serve jail time?

Verdict should come soon I think.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
awry
Eight Point

No idea as I really haven’t followed ... but will say Chicago should probably brace for riots if found innocent
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Roy Munson
Six Point

Thats a total **** show. I wasn't there and I don't know if Van Dyke was in fear for his life. I don't think he went there with the intent to kill the guy.

The real criminals are the three officers who attempted to claim that Van Dyke was physically assaulted by the suspect prior to him being shot. Over and over again they persisted with the exact same fabricated story. They didn't realize that nearby businesses had surveillance cameras. When confronted with the video, two of them admitted that their official reports were complete bull **** and that the victim never assaulted, threatened or attempted to confront the officers. Those three pieces of **** should get whatever is coming their way. Some people are so dishonest they lie even when the truth is a better option.
Roy Munson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Can you blame LEO's for making crap up? Before you blurt out yes..And say they should never lie or always be 100% honest be sure you think back to how they are treated with public opinion. Think about how many cases there are of IMO 100% justified shootings and the LEO is crucified.

Year after year the trend becomes worse for LEO's yet nothing or no one steps in to ease the trend. All I'm saying is it's way past the point where risk/reward favors LEO to make stuff up after they get in an altercation with a black person.

And you dang well know I'm not talking about the very few really bad LEO that are out there...Not trying to justify them in any way.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
LWC
Ten Point

I've seen some stupid posts on this forum over the years. But There is one on this thread that may be #1.
LWC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I've seen some stupid posts on this forum over the years. But There is one on this thread that may be #1.
I'll agree with that. Truth is, it just beat out his previous #1's.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
awry
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Can you blame LEO's for making crap up? Before you blurt out yes..And say they should never lie or always be 100% honest be sure you think back to how they are treated with public opinion. Think about how many cases there are of IMO 100% justified shootings and the LEO is crucified.

Year after year the trend becomes worse for LEO's yet nothing or no one steps in to ease the trend. All I'm saying is it's way past the point where risk/reward favors LEO to make stuff up after they get in an altercation with a black person.

And you dang well know I'm not talking about the very few really bad LEO that are out there...Not trying to justify them in any way.
Yes ... if for nothing else but from self interest perspective. Once caught in a lie their credibility is gone which will impact future cases they are involved in ... every defense lawyer will simply bring this case over and over whenever those three ever! testify.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Roy Munson
Six Point

Quote:

Yes. I expect people to be honest. I know a bunch of cops and none of them would ever consider fabricating a story like this.

If it were the other way around, dead LEO and 3 living civilians would you be OK with the living civilians getting together and fabricating a story about how the officer was out of control and one of them shot him in self defense?
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by awry View Post
Yes ... if for nothing else but from self interest perspective. Once caught in a lie their credibility is gone which will impact future cases they are involved in ... every defense lawyer will simply bring this case over and over whenever those three ever! testify.
How far up the totem pole you willing to go, in liberal Chicago politics? Mayor Emanuel suppressed the release of the tape to help his reelection. He is as crooked as they come, but wont suffer and kind of legal wrath for his mishandling of this tragic event.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
awry
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
How far up the totem pole you willing to go, in liberal Chicago politics? Mayor Emanuel suppressed the release of the tape to help his reelection. He is as crooked as they come, but wont suffer and kind of legal wrath for his mishandling of this tragic event.
If I’m understanding your question correctly, all the way. I especially hate higher up officials lying/dishonest behavior no matter the political clothe they’re cut from ... maybe because the higher they are the more power/influence they have.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:

Yes, I absolutely can blame the LEO's for making crap up.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
lordvader
Spike

I think yes. Lets see, 16 rounds fired into an individual who had already been disabled and on the ground, after the 2nd or 3rd round. If your that scared and fearful, then that line of work is not for you. Not against LE, as I have friends and family members who are or were L.E.O. Bottom line is there are some individuals who work as police officers who shouldh't be police officers. Police departments need to weed out the bad cops. The impression I get is that many are trigger happy and think they can just shoot and use the, I feared for my life, excuse and get away with killing someone.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I think yes. Lets see, 16 rounds fired into an individual who had already been disabled and on the ground, after the 2nd or 3rd round. If your that scared and fearful, then that line of work is not for you. Not against LE, as I have friends and family members who are or were L.E.O. Bottom line is there are some individuals who work as police officers who shouldh't be police officers. Police departments need to weed out the bad cops. The impression I get is that many are trigger happy and think they can just shoot and use the, I feared for my life, excuse and get away with killing someone.
I dont agree that many are trigger happy ...
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #14
Roy Munson
Six Point

Verdict
Old 10-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
Roy Munson
Six Point

Guilty on 2nd degree murder.

Sounds like they found him guilty on each of the 16 counts of aggravated battery.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

What happened in the 13 months between McDonald’s killing and the video’s release?

As the Chicago Reporter summarized Tuesday, a great deal. It took a still-secret city whistleblower, an autopsy report, and a $5-million city settlement with the McDonald family for the public to have any sense that what happened on October 20 did not match what the police originally reported. Then, it took multiple lawsuits—filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, The Wall Street Journal, and a freelance journalist named Brandon Smith—for the video of the killing to finally be made public under Illinois’s Freedom of Information Act.

In other words, it took a highly non-standard series of events—a whistleblower and many lawsuits—for Chicagoans to learn of, and then get to see, the incident. (As recently as November 13, Rahm Emanuel, the city’s mayor, refused to put a hard date on the video’s release.) If a similar incident were to happen, and it was captured on a body cam, what would it take to make it public—another whistleblower?

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/...enough/417747/

The media is making this into a white cop shooting a black teen without a gun, which is an issue no doubt. But in my opinion they are trying to stymie to real facts, that this city has been infected from the top for a long time, and that poo poo just rolls down hill to the guys on the front lines.

I get that everybody wants to flame Rat. But our politicians makes stuff up all the time, it is basically expected. Why do we expect some of public servants to be 100% honest, while others are expected to not be?
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Roy Munson
Six Point

What are those people who were all geared up to riot going to do with all that extra energy?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
What are those people who were all geared up to riot going to do with all that extra energy?
They are still going to riot, in their blood, their chance to destroy and still stuff.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
Roy Munson
Six Point

The OPs original question "was will he serve prison time?"

It looks like the minimum on the aggravated battery charge is 6 years. X level offenses are not probation eligible in Illinois. So, yes he will do somewhere between 6 and 30 years on those.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Reăl county

I was in Chicago this week and everyone seemed to be worried what was going to happen if the jury went the other way. I wasn’t familiar with the case but it seemed like many were more worried about riots than justice.
Wall_Hanger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Bad deal.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
Johnny44
Eight Point

I used to think a person couldn’t lose a case when the other party’s position is of substances, and a weapon, but that is obviously days gone by.

I know a guy that was hit by a drunk driver with no license, insurance, inspection, nor current registration and still lost an insurance claim.

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-06-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #23
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

Police officers are granted extraordinary powers by the government. As such, they should be held to a significantly higher standard, the least of which, should be to tell the truth.
sir shovelhands is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #24
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
Police officers are granted extraordinary powers by the government. As such, they should be held to a significantly higher standard, the least of which, should be to tell the truth.
This is true. But that being said we (being everyone) should back them more than the average Joe when they are accused of something. We should not allow the entire public to call them racist, murderers etc.. Not unless proven.

Not talking about just this case obviously.

But go ahead and put a few more LEO in prison. Lets see how much more tax dollars we can spend when it takes 10-20 LEO's to detain a guy on drugs because forbid any harm come to him.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #25
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
This is true. But that being said we (being everyone) should back them more than the average Joe when they are accused of something. We should not allow the entire public to call them racist, murderers etc.. Not unless proven.

Not talking about just this case obviously.

But go ahead and put a few more LEO in prison. Lets see how much more tax dollars we can spend when it takes 10-20 LEO's to detain a guy on drugs because forbid any harm come to him.
I don't make a habit of backing liars, law enforcement or not. No need in lying about a good shoot. Period!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top