Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-16-2022, 06:16 AM   #1
ladrones
Banned!!!

Default Oilfield disability benefits

I need some guidance on how to find a path back to employment. Iím trying to navigate several programs that have a lot of value to any former oilfield employee but am having a difficult time.

I need some campfire guidance of oilfield experience and understanding of how the system works.

I donít live near the basin. And everyone that has experience here in Sandoval county is probably busy in the San Juan.

I have several benefits available to fully pay for my education expenses.

Ideally I would like to work in a oilfield type business that actually will work with former workers with disabilities.

The SSDI/state system is not designed for any type of success for oilfield personal.

I need to find an internship. So I need to find a way to make a resume that can at least get my foot in the door for an interview. I need the work, have limits and can only earn an income of 974.00 per month.

Any Law office or oilfield related service that works with displaced OG.
Iím at the very start of the SS return to work program. The whole process has some value to it so ideally I would like to work with someone who can help guide and document the process to use for the next worker that comes along wanting to work. I found some text in the new State of NM opportunity to work scholarship. It has some language in the text that possibly suggest that some Non residents can get a free education on NMs dime.

I want to follow the SSDI ticket to work program the best I can. Do any of you have interest following along with this difficult task?
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 06:23 AM   #2
DedDuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bermuda Triangle

Why work away from home for 974 a month?
DedDuk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 06:31 AM   #3
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
Why work away from home for 974 a month?
I can only do remote work currently due to respiratory limitations.

I will work for free if I can learn any new skill set. Education has a whole lot of value to any OG employees to find work that pays a decent salary. The 974.00 is just a number of what people can earn while developing skill sets to return to work

I know we have some members who are experienced in vocational rehabilitation programs work and are versed in how the system works.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #4
ladrones
Banned!!!

I should state I am gonna seek my education in a digital media film and marketing program.

I already have a marketing campaign idea started that would need to go through a established law practice media market program for development. The campaign is aimed at the O&G industry. I’m seeking an internship in a media marketing dept for the law practice.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
ladrones
Banned!!!

I have been cold calling minority law firms and I have three interviews set. Pretty cool. Gives me lots of hope with some of canna policy ideas for a marketing campaign. Piece work.

If any law firm has any campaign ideas I would be willing to talk about producing those ideas to professional finished projects while utilizing some tax incentives that the film industry offer. Any other biz that needs a marketing campaign produced. I also have many ideas for canna policy that can be produced. Offer is open to any biz with a preference to canna friendly organizations.

I’m in the hands on phase so it will take me awhile to an experienced marketing team network. Going through the film program is allowing me to make contacts. They already have skill sets and are ready to work productions. For hands on experience as well as extra cash while in the program.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I've been servicing the oil patch and petrochemicals business for over 40 years... best advice I can give you is you need to get off the weed. No one in the oil patch would hire a doper. You post history on here about how much you grow, use, and support that industry would shoot you down in a New York minute...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
Tyrex750
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

Bet more the half of oilfield do some kind of dope, that's some hard *** work
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #8
ladrones
Banned!!!

Thanks fellas. My interest is canna policy. Cannabis user are more productive as employees. I’m only seeking an internship for experience. I have some storyboards copywritered ready to generate clients. My learning hang up is trying to protect intellectual property on a disability budget.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #9
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I've been servicing the oil patch and petrochemicals business for over 40 years... best advice I can give you is you need to get off the weed. No one in the oil patch would hire a doper. You post history on here about how much you grow, use, and support that industry would shoot you down in a New York minute...
Iím not interested in dated policies driven by boomers. My target market is employees who actually do the labor.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
DedDuk
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
Thanks fellas. My interest is canna policy. Cannabis user are more productive as employees. I’m only seeking an internship for experience. I have some storyboards copywritered ready to generate clients. My learning hang up is trying to protect intellectual property on a disability budget.
You must be stoned now to make a comment like that. Im not saying that some stoners may be more productive that non stoners, but to say that as a blanket statement is just dumb.
What was said by slick is correct. Any job in the patch, office or on location is going to be drug tested. Most will require a hair test to get hired on.
Whats this "my market is" your looking for a job, according to your post.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #11
trophy8
Pope & Young

Serious question. Why not just work a full time job and not use the government pay?

The vast majority of O&G companies will NOT hire you as it is a DOT requirement to pass a drug test. Most are a standard urine test but plenty will do a hair follicle test.

You either want to work or you don’t. DOT won’t make exceptions. Weed can/has/will impair your ability to perform certain tasks. This creates a liability whether you think so or not.

If I’m off base, excuse me. Maybe I don’t understand your goal. Just seems like getting a full time job is the best way.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #12
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
You must be stoned now to make a comment like that. Im not saying that some stoners may be more productive that non stoners, but to say that as a blanket statement is just dumb.
What was said by slick is correct. Any job in the patch, office or on location is going to be drug tested. Most will require a hair test to get hired on.
Whats this "my market is" your looking for a job, according to your post.
Your opinion is very welcome. It is how I have been creating ideas for content.
TBh is such a blessing when it come to ideas.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Serious question. Why not just work a full time job and not use the government pay?

The vast majority of O&G companies will NOT hire you as it is a DOT requirement to pass a drug test. Most are a standard urine test but plenty will do a hair follicle test.

You either want to work or you donít. DOT wonít make exceptions. Weed can/has/will impair your ability to perform certain tasks. This creates a liability whether you think so or not.

If Iím off base, excuse me. Maybe I donít understand your goal. Just seems like getting a full time job is the best way.

To be able to challenge policy you must learn some skill sets unavailable to the O&G due to insurance controls.

Like I said my market is not toward those already corrupted by insurance lobbyists.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #14
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
To be able to challenge policy you must learn some skill sets unavailable to the O&G due to insurance controls.

Like I said my market is not toward those already corrupted by insurance lobbyists.
You failed to answer my question.

If your goal is to change policy then you coulda just said that. Oil and Gas has these rules for a reason. I wish you luck challenging OSHA/MSHA and DOT. Youíll lose that battle on this front in a bad way.

Iíve been doing natural gas stuff for 12+ years. While I have nothing against someone smoking pot, I most certainly do not want them in my facility when I need to be able to count on them to make critical decisions. Thatíll get someone killed.

Thereís many other sectors that do not drug test. Find one. Go to work. Get off the government tit.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #15
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

If your pitch to potential employers is half as convoluted as this thread then I wouldn't put your chance of success very high. I've worked with people who could make pouring a glass of water a complicated task and this thread reminds of that type.
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #16
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
If your pitch to potential employers is half as convoluted as this thread then I wouldn't put your chance of success very high. I've worked with people who could make pouring a glass of water a complicated task and this thread reminds of that type.
Sounds like my assistant. She's the best.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #17
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
Sounds like my assistant. She's the best.
She better be hot then.
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #18
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Iíve read this twice in an effort to understand exactly what you are asking and wanting to accomplishÖ.. Iím lost

The cannabis users are more productive employees commentÖÖ. Please explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #19
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen county

If your goal is to challenge the current O&G drug policies, youíre completely wasting your time. Iíve been in the oilfield business for 29 years and Iíve seen first hand on location and on the road what drugs and alcohol can lead to. Itís a tough life and weíre a wild bunch so we do need policies that help most of us stay safe out there.

If your real passion is cannabis, get in the cannabis business if itís legal in NM. My younger brother is a grower in California and has made a killing.

Last edited by EZ-10RANCH; 08-16-2022 at 12:06 PM.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #20
ladrones
Banned!!!

This thread is not about your question. It is about a 50 year Angelina county boy raised by a Baptist minister. Iím a proud Christian stoner. My father preached a lot of fear when I was young. I donít know where he got those ideas from but he was trained a someplace in Tyler. He changed his direction to less fear and more compassion when he started getting into his thirtyís. Once I became disabled with my respiratory issues I was able to talk to my father about it he was fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
You failed to answer my question.

If your goal is to change policy then you coulda just said that. Oil and Gas has these rules for a reason. I wish you luck challenging OSHA/MSHA and DOT. Youíll lose that battle on this front in a bad way.

Iíve been doing natural gas stuff for 12+ years. While I have nothing against someone smoking pot, I most certainly do not want them in my facility when I need to be able to count on them to make critical decisions. Thatíll get someone killed.

Thereís many other sectors that do not drug test. Find one. Go to work. Get off the government tit.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #21
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
If your goal is to challenge the current O&G drug policies, youíre completely wasting your time. Iíve been in the oilfield business for 29 years and Iíve seen first hand on location and on the road what drugs and alcohol can lead to. Itís a tough life and weíre a wild bunch so we do need policies that help most of us stay safe out there.

Heck get in the cannabis business if itís legal in NM. My younger brother is a grower in California and has made a killing.
I have zero interest in the O&G policy makers. They can do them. They have you to come to the rescue.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #22
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Sounds to me like he's not looking for oilfield employment but info on the system.
He is wanting to work with former "disabled" oil field workers, so depending, it sounds like his cannabis proposition is inline.
I spent many yrs with Haliburton and it doesn't matter whether they pee test you, or hair follicle you, half of them are on meth/coke/weed anyway.
From personal experience it's the person not the drugs.
I would take a lot of guys high on meth, before I would take some of them idiots stone cold sober.
The straightest square I ever worked with at H, almost killed me twice working with some high pressure hoses, because he was 100% sure there was no pressure on them.
It's ultimately how I lost my job, running my mouth about the dumb***.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #23
ladrones
Banned!!!

I donít need to explain my opinion because that is not the kind of media Iím interested in producing. Iím going with more of a white paper approach. My opinion is absolutely meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Iíve read this twice in an effort to understand exactly what you are asking and wanting to accomplishÖ.. Iím lost

The cannabis users are more productive employees commentÖÖ. Please explain

Old 08-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #24
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Sounds to me like he's not looking for oilfield employment but info on the system.
He is wanting to work with former "disabled" oil field workers, so depending, it sounds like his cannabis proposition is inline.
I spent many yrs with Haliburton and it doesn't matter whether they pee test you, or hair follicle you, half of them are on meth/coke/weed anyway.
From personal experience it's the person not the drugs.
I would take a lot of guys high on meth, before I would take some of them idiots stone cold sober.
The straightest square I ever worked with at H, almost killed me twice working with some high pressure hoses, because he was 100% sure there was no pressure on them.
It's ultimately how I lost my job, running my mouth about the dumb***.

Iím interested in working with oilfield employees. Iím not fishing as I have actual meaningful oilfield employment experiences to share with other OF employees.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #25
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Quote:
I have zero interest in the O&G policy makers. They can do them. They have you to come to the rescue.
What? You completely lost me with that. Please explain in just plain old English
Old 08-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #26
DedDuk
Eight Point

I remember being stoned in high school. I was telling a joke to some friends and man I thought it was the funniest thing ever. Apparently I was the only one laughing.............

Thats how this thread is going. No one has a clue what point youre trying to make.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #27
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I donít need to explain my opinion because that is not the kind of media Iím interested in producing. Iím going with more of a white paper approach. My opinion is absolutely meaningless.

Understand.
I asked the question because you made the commentÖÖ. ???

Old 08-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #28
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:

If your real passion is cannabis, get in the cannabis business if itís legal in NM. My younger brother is a grower in California and has made a killing.
Iím not interested in the canna industry because most of them act like the stereotypical stoner. I have talked to all the dispensary owners. They have zero clue what policy is doing to the O&G labor pool.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #29
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
She better be hot then.
One would assume. I'm not that lucky.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:17 PM   #30
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Understand.
I asked the question because you made the commentÖÖ. ???

You can do some research on your own if your interested in educating yourself.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #31
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
What? You completely lost me with that. Please explain in just plain old English
My market is employees who do not have any say in any policy. Connecting them to service that they can try in make it through to gainful employment.

Iím sorry for being so blunt. I have a lot of questions but only two people have reached out with disability services that can help me with a remote media marketing position for experience. I have been able to locate some hiring agencies that work with SSDI ticket to work program. I reached out to one and she said she can help.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #32
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
You can do some research on your own if your interested in educating yourself.

Thanks
You come on here and ask a very confusing set of questions. Then throw **** at everyone. THAT is likely why you are having an issue with even free employment.

Whatever your goal is, I wish you luck.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #33
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím not interested in the canna industry because most of them act like the stereotypical stoner. I have talked to all the dispensary owners. They have zero clue what policy is doing to the O&G labor pool.
Ok, weíre getting somewhere. When you say, ďThey (dispensary owners) have zero clue what policy is doing to the O&G labor pool.Ē

What ďexactlyĒ do you mean with that statement? This is a serious question
Old 08-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #34
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
My market is employees who do not have any say in any policy. Connecting them to service that they can try in make it through to gainful employment.

Iím sorry for being so blunt. I have a lot of questions but only two people have reached out with disability services that can help me with a remote media marketing position for experience. I have been able to locate some hiring agencies that work with SSDI ticket to work program. I reached out to one and she said she can help.
Now this part makes sense.

If you were high when you posted originally. I do believe the part about pot smokers being better workers is incorrect
Old 08-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #35
CabezaBlanca
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado County

This thread is allsum!
CabezaBlanca is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #36
ladrones
Banned!!!

Let me try again.

I’m disabled. 25 year tradesman. Journey man cat tech. 50 years old.

The whole system of SSDI is set up for failure. For the success they are looking for an Oil and Gas employee must be mentally and physically in ruins deep down the poverty holes.

My interest is learning media marketing and learning to help fellow oilfield coworkers that may be knocked down but not out.

Some people are forced into new career based on cannabis policy they need help to so they can find employment.

Really nothing to do at all with the cannabis industry.

I’m just wanting to document the navigation process to be able to help those that may need assistance down the road.

I’m sorry I’m still relearning some of my motor skills. I working on improving myself with that.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #37
ladrones
Banned!!!

I really apologize for getting so many of you riled up. My recovery takes lots of work. Nothing about is a “FREEBIE”
Old 08-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #38
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Thank You

Old 08-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #39
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Understood. Thank you for the clarification and I hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #40
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I wish you luck in your full recovery. And hope you get to full strength and gainful employment.

As others have noted, your questions are very difficult to follow. Maybe Texas will eventually progress to the point where weed is allowable to treat disabilities. I don't think I would hang my hat on that so you should have a backup plan.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #41
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

Quote:
[/QUOTE] I’m not interested in dated policies driven by boomers. My target market is employees who actually do the labor. [/QUOTE]

So you're lobbying that it is OK for Oilfield workers, some of the most dangerous jobs out there, should be allowed to use drugs? And you're not interested in "dated policies" driven by "boomers"? Haha I dont see this happening, ever.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 08-16-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #42
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
I wish you luck in your full recovery. And hope you get to full strength and gainful employment.

As others have noted, your questions are very difficult to follow. Maybe Texas will eventually progress to the point where weed is allowable to treat disabilities. I don't think I would hang my hat on that so you should have a backup plan.
Are you kidding me lol.
There are 5 open now, with Nagadoches being the closest to me.
Heard the advertisement on the radio a few weeks back, and ran down last Sat.
Nothing like the ones in CO, or CA, but they have some good stuff.
Also they are only open on the days it's delivered and can't keep enough in stock to be open more than 2 days a week.
It's coming, or it's already here, I'm not sure which as we are doing everything backasswards in Texas.
According to this doc, DPS is going to be over it all.....(?)
Her number is - Kelly Moon 936-5598-9225
Her assistant - Kim 936-205-8722
Kim is really who you want to talk to.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #43
ladrones
Banned!!!

I think this experience has proven that I still need work on me. And I really appreciate all of the feedback. My neurologist works with a large fight camp he has some basic experience with lack of O2 to the brain and some head trauma. I have had trouble finding qualified medical people during the whole process. They cancel on me all the time and I’m probably the only client they have trying to dig myself oit of my current situation. I have made a lot of progress. Eventually I will get to where I need to be.

SSDI is a miserable hell hole. I want out of it period. I’m very limited with some abilities in my current stage of recovery. That’s the only reason I asked. Some organizations actually work with people trying to recover and do hire on a pt basis at times.

If anyone sees anything available to the Able with limitations I would be thankful for the opportunity. If I can get interviewed it will be a good learning experience that I would ask for a critique of. I don’t even need to be hired.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #44
ladrones
Banned!!!

If anyone in media marketing wants to document my process for others.
I think it can be marketed. But I don’t have the skills yet to determine if my idea has any feasibility.

My NMDVR rep got me to sign all of my paperwork. I messaged that I located a conflict in two different policies that they use to evaluate the rehab into the correct career field. I have heard nothing from her since.

It’s a sad situation to have to be with brain injury and have to find someone to navigate.

Once SSDI lawyers get that approval check all legal services end. Because you are broke and have no money to pay.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #45
trophy8
Pope & Young

Makes much more sense. Came off way wrong at first haha.

I wish you luck in your recovery and hope you can get yourself the help you need and help others in the future amigo.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #46
JHT
Pope & Young

Did you start on the lettuce after the injury or were you not being tested before?
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #47
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
Did you start on the lettuce after the injury or were you not being tested before?
I worked 25 years with a CDL never one insurance violation. Cannabis does not the same effects as booze as far as operating goes.
No vetted methods to to determine levels of impairment by the agencies other than ďsmellĒ.

I use cannabis to treat asthma from my chronic respiratory failure. Before finding a product that was able to control congestion well I was able to quit the little pumps of products that have tons of side effects and make me ramp up the mania. I told my pulmonary doctor that he has tried so many products that cause nothing but trouble and I no longer need your advice on medication.

He agreed and he talked about some of the cannabanoids would be helpful for me.

I could quit today if I had to with out any withdrawals. Get a recreational boozer to try that.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #48
PYBUCK
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Upton County

I've read every post on this thread and I'm still confused. I have not seen you say where the respiratory failure came from. Was it from smoking fatties with Cheech and Chong or something else. Move to Colorado and start growing weed, then you can fry the rest of your brain cells.
Maybe this is Tinks sock, who knows.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 04:20 PM   #49
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
I've read every post on this thread and I'm still confused. I have not seen you say where the respiratory failure came from. Was it from smoking fatties with Cheech and Chong or something else. Move to Colorado and start growing weed, then you can fry the rest of your brain cells.
Maybe this is Tinks sock, who knows.

Thanks for your helpful knowledge. I worked a 25 year career with zero violations. I donít have any problems following rules.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #50
ladrones
Banned!!!

I’m wanting to call the county sheriffs when I try to visit family for three weeks this fall. I want to ask how they treat people with oilfield disability that use medical cannabis. I would like to keep a small amount of flower in case I have an asthma attack. Less than an 8th.

Every agency runs different policies on how they police medication.

I’m going to make sure I understand the rules before I come visit.

I just need to come up with a method that doesn’t rile anyone up.