Texas persimmon recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas persimmon recipes

Anyone here eat Texas persimmons? Are they good for anything other than jam or jelly? And are they even worth making into jam?

We have lots and lots (like endless supply) so wouldn't mind figuring out a way to use some.

I know my chickens like them. Need to figure out if it's bad for them if they eat too many.

I eat 'em whenever I get the chance. I've not cooked them, but I'm sure they'd make good jelly and such.

Comment

You talking small black or larger orange colored?
      I eat the hell out of those black ones when we have them but have not had any in a couple years. Never have the larger orange colored ones

Comment

I’ve got some trees loaded down with them in Llano.

When can I expect them to turn black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daughter has made persimmon bread, a lot like banana bread. I thought it was great.
          I'll try and get the recipe from her. She said it was pretty labor intensive.

Comment

Small black ones.

A few of our trees are already turning black.

If anyone wants some let me know. If you come by you can have as many as you care to pick off the trees. I have about 100 acres worth spread out in different areas. The deer are about to get fat off them once they start falling any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Small black ones.

A few of our trees are already turning black.

If anyone wants some let me know. If you come by you can have as many as you care to pick off the trees. I have about 100 acres worth spread out in different areas. The deer are about to get fat off them once they start falling any day now.
              No help with the recipes. I just like to pick them and eat them especially in the morning prior to the sun getting on them.

Have you noticed a difference in this years crop considering the harsh drought?

Comment

Looks like we will have a decent crop. A few years back each tree was so loaded the limbs were all bending towards the ground. Don't have that many but still pretty loaded, just not all trees are loaded.

Why prior to the sun getting on them?

Comment

try this
                  Last edited by mclipp; 08-06-2022, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Looks like we will have a decent crop. A few years back each tree was so loaded the limbs were all bending towards the ground. Don't have that many but still pretty loaded, just not all trees are loaded.

Why prior to the sun getting on them?
                    Normally I only had access to them while I was working. So, I would just grab a couple here and there as I walked a trail. They weren’t appealing once the sun warmed them up.

I guess I should have asked the land owners for permission to pick enough to refrigerate and enjoy them later.

Comment

Too bad you don't also have some jujube trees. I really like eating them as well as the deer and every thing else. I've tried getting them started here on our place but no luck yet. You can see a bunch of them and pick up some fruit in the alley behind the Kountry Kitchen. You eat them when they turn brown.

Comment

Put ‘em in a big pile !
                        Let the deer eat them, then kill the marinated deer in 2 months.
                        This is the only recipe I found that tastes good.

Comment

Working...
                        X