Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
MontagueMech
Six Point

Default Whatís the purpose for the cable suspended above the Red River?

Itís a ways below the Denison Dam. Whatís the term for the metal structures that hold the cable in place?
Attached Images

MontagueMech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
Mrsailfish
Four Point

The cable below Livingston was as far up as you could go. This might be the same. Not sure
Mrsailfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

zipline
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

To keep the banks from splitting wider...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #5
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
zipline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Smart aleck's
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
They coulda just used ratchet straps
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #7
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Used to monitor river conditions. They usually have a cable car type thing suspended that folks got out to the middle of the river and lower various instruments to measure stream flow and sediment, etc.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
OrangeBlood
Ten Point

Hunt In: where the deer are

I've always heard that Texas doesn't fall into the gulf because OU sucks, but it might actually be this cable.
OrangeBlood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #9
CoolHandLuke
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd View Post
They coulda just used ratchet straps

Rope was cheaper!
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #10
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlood View Post
I've always heard that Texas doesn't fall into the gulf because OU sucks, but it might actually be this cable.

Good one!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #11
oktx
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Wise County

Keep the whole river in Oklahoma.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 08:09 PM   #12
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Where exactly is the cable and how low does it hang? Near a bridge? Anything attached to the other end?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 08:27 PM   #13
MontagueMech
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Where exactly is the cable and how low does it hang? Near a bridge? Anything attached to the other end?
The other end is on the Texas side and is attached or anchored to another tower.

No bridge nearby. There are remnants of what must’ve been a bridge a long time ago. (See photo)

In the photo the other tower is circled. I think that’s where the other end terminates.

Not sure how low the cable presently is above the river.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2022, 08:37 PM   #14
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I meant what town/highway is it near.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:42 PM   #15
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

That's so if the bridges are out due to flooding, the guys bringing Meth from Mexico can still get it to their #1 market immediately across the river.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 08:45 PM   #16
MontagueMech
Six Point

It’s north of Denison off 91. You can get on Texoma Parkway in Sherman and follow it north into Denison. You hang a left in Denison to get to 91. I don’t remember the cross street where you turn left. There are at least two ways to get to 91 from Denison.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:53 PM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
The cable isnít needed for that, and you heard right.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 09:35 PM   #18
Burnadell
Pope & Young

It looks like the Texas side is at the Corp of Engineers, so maybe it was used to shuttle stuff across the river after the bridge was gone. That is sure enough the footings for some kind of bridge or support for something. The river looks to be way down. The next time you are near there go by the Corp offices on the Texas side and ask them. It would be interesting to know.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #19
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Whatís the purpose for the cable suspended above the Red River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
That's so if the bridges are out due to flooding, the guys bringing Meth from Mexico can still get it to their #1 market immediately across the river.

ďRoscoe tried to missíem, but heÖ.didnít quite..Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-29-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #20
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my Sasquatch Suit

Quote:
The best !
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 10:00 PM   #21
MontagueMech
Six Point

Quote:
It looks like the Texas side is at the Corp of Engineers, so maybe it was used to shuttle stuff across the river after the bridge was gone. That is sure enough the footings for some kind of bridge or support for something. The river looks to be way down. The next time you are near there go by the Corp offices on the Texas side and ask them. It would be interesting to know.
Thatís a good idea. Will do. The next time I went through there they were releasing a bunch of water and it looked quite different. Praying my recovery keeps speeding along to where I can go there again soon. Iím determined to fully recover.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #22
wytex
Ten Point

It is for steam monitoring, they take a basket type carrier over the river and lower instruments down to the water to measure stream flow and sediment etc.
They are all over up here and most have a cable car basket they folks sit in , down there they don't leave them on the cables because you folks will do stupid stuff from them.

There were also several ferries that ran across the Red at one time, an old ferry cable is also still across west of Muenster before Bulcher.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #23
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
It is for steam monitoring, they take a basket type carrier over the river and lower instruments down to the water to measure stream flow and sediment etc.
They are all over up here and most have a cable car basket they folks sit in , down there they don't leave them on the cables because you folks will do stupid stuff from them.

There were also several ferries that ran across the Red at one time, an old ferry cable is also still across west of Muenster before Bulcher.
That sounds logical, but this cable is just below the Denison Dam, so no need to measure flow at that location. Your ferry scenario or measuring sediment may be correct.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #24
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Historical

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #25
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
That sounds logical, but this cable is just below the Denison Dam, so no need to measure flow at that location. Your ferry scenario or measuring sediment may be correct.
They are in place all over up here and across the west. They were mainly used before electronic monitoring.
They allow someone to go out to the middle of the stream or river and hang an instrument down into the middle of the flow to get measurements.
The old ferry cable crossings I have seen on family place are mainly older wooden poles with cables, not the newer metal towers.
That is a stream monitoring station. Probably not in use anymore hence no basket to take across the river.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #26
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Makes sense.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #27
MontagueMech
Six Point

Quote:

Quote:
They are in place all over up here and across the west. They were mainly used before electronic monitoring.
They allow someone to go out to the middle of the stream or river and hang an instrument down into the middle of the flow to get measurements.
The old ferry cable crossings I have seen on family place are mainly older wooden poles with cables, not the newer metal towers.
That is a stream monitoring station. Probably not in use anymore hence no basket to take across the river.
Thanks for the info. It is interesting to note the names of places along the Red River when steam ships once carried people. If I recall correctly, there were some locations named after the ships/boats. Someone had a handwritten map of these locations with info not found on the internet. Possibly not even in any library. Some of it is dark but still history nonetheless.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:51 AM   #28
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontagueMech View Post
Thanks for the info. It is interesting to note the names of places along the Red River when steam ships once carried people. If I recall correctly, there were some locations named after the ships/boats. Someone had a handwritten map of these locations with info not found on the internet. Possibly not even in any library. Some of it is dark but still history nonetheless.

There is a cable car over on the Texas side, now why itís there, I canít tell you because Iíve never asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dope hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 12:03 PM   #29
HYDRO_69
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

It’s a USGS cableway. Actually that one now belongs to the COE. In the old days as mentioned it was used to measure stage and discharge. Water quality samples for different constituents could be obtained as well. There used to be a lot of them but they are being removed due to age and safety concerns. Bridges and boats are being used these days in most cases.
HYDRO_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 12:05 PM   #30
HYDRO_69
Eight Point

Itís a USGS cableway. Actually that one now belongs to the COE. In the old days as mentioned it was used to measure discharge. Water quality samples for different constituents could be obtained as well. There used to be a lot of them but they are being removed due to age and safety concerns. Bridges and boats are being used these days in most cases.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:29 PM   #31
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Thanks, HYDRO.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:33 PM   #32
MontagueMech
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
There is a cable car over on the Texas side, now why itís there, I canít tell you because Iíve never asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
Itís a USGS cableway. Actually that one now belongs to the COE. In the old days as mentioned it was used to measure stage and discharge. Water quality samples for different constituents could be obtained as well. There used to be a lot of them but they are being removed due to age and safety concerns. Bridges and boats are being used these days in most cases.
Thank you.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:33 PM   #33
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller County, Rocksprings and "H"

I fished thousands of hours on THE WALL there back in the 80's in it's hayday. The cable nearest the dam connected to the wall, s the no trespass cable. This one is down a little ways near the old bait store in the parking lot. Watched them back then take cart to bottom and measure. And they don't leave the cart there because um like said above of being used by teenagers. The top cable when you hooked a monster striper, you had to open your bail drop your line and run down the hill to get under the cable and tighten your line after and fight them again. Largest I ever caught was a 29 lber on a pencil popper. Had some you could never turn out of the white water and they would smoke your reel. Those were some good ol days.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 02:53 PM   #34
MontagueMech
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt68 View Post
I fished thousands of hours on THE WALL there back in the 80's in it's hayday. The cable nearest the dam connected to the wall, s the no trespass cable. This one is down a little ways near the old bait store in the parking lot. Watched them back then take cart to bottom and measure. And they don't leave the cart there because um like said above of being used by teenagers. The top cable when you hooked a monster striper, you had to open your bail drop your line and run down the hill to get under the cable and tighten your line after and fight them again. Largest I ever caught was a 29 lber on a pencil popper. Had some you could never turn out of the white water and they would smoke your reel. Those were some good ol days.
So that explains what the small concrete slab was for.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:36 PM   #35
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Across the fence

It’s for illegals, so they don’t get their feet wet. Duh !
smokeless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #36
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Across the fence

Itís for illegals, so they donít get their feet wet. Duh !
smokeless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #37
HYDRO_69
Eight Point

Quote:
Thanks, HYDRO.
Yes Sir! I've ridden on many of them during floods collecting data and now responsible for taking them out in many cases. Some of them we are making bank operated with remote controls to keep our staff safer. The historical perspective on these cableways is very interesting. We have them on remote ranches in Texas. During previous floods the locals used them to move food, supplies and family across the creeks and rivers. I had to retrieve them from the middle of the rivers over the years as the kids rode them and used them for diving boards. The car that hangs below the main cable can make things interesting during floods when you hang a tree in 10-20 foot per second velocities. We carried two pair of side cutters (in case you dropped one) to cut the sampling equipment loose when hung up on trees. Once you cut loose you better hang onto the side of the cablecar as it had a pretty good sling shot effect.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #38
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Used to monitor river conditions. They usually have a cable car type thing suspended that folks got out to the middle of the river and lower various instruments to measure stream flow and sediment, etc.
This. I have one in my backyard to monitor the llano river
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 07:50 PM   #39
Farmdog
Pope & Young

I have one of those on the farm that crosses over arroyo in floodway. We used to unlock it as kids and roll out across.
I used to believe it was to get an important person to the other side during a flood. They have measuring yardsticks so it makes sense its to measure water flow. My farm is where the floodway splits and the nicer homes in Harlingen are spared so they send Most of the floodwater north nowadays. Ive had a front row seat for the last 50 years. Mercedes farmers were blamed for blowing up the levee in the aftermath of Beula before my time in The RGV
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #40
HYDRO_69
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas View Post
This. I have one in my backyard to monitor the llano river
Thank you! I've been on that one over the years many times. Lots of historic data has been obtained from that cableway. As you know , that river floats alot of debris during floods. Now I dunk a boat upstream of the dam when I can, otherwise its the cableway, unless the water is to high to get to it.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:20 PM   #41
HYDRO_69
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmdog View Post
I have one of those on the farm that crosses over arroyo in floodway. We used to unlock it as kids and roll out across.
I used to believe it was to get an important person to the other side during a flood. They have measuring yardsticks so it makes sense its to measure water flow. My farm is where the floodway splits and the nicer homes in Harlingen are spared so they send Most of the floodwater north nowadays. Ive had a front row seat for the last 50 years. Mercedes farmers were blamed for blowing up the levee in the aftermath of Beula before my time in The RGV
Those cableways along the Rio Grande are owned and operated by the IBWC on the US side. I've been to that one and alot of the ones on the Rio.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:55 PM   #42
Burnadell
Pope & Young

That’s an interesting life, Hydro. I get the screen name now.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #43
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
ďRoscoe tried to missíem, but heÖ.didnít quite..Ē

Love the song, but DANG that James McMurtry's a flaming liberal.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top