Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Your Opinions on Ozone Generators (Ozonics) for Hunting?

I'm mainly soliciting opinions from those who own or have used them. Anecdotal or scientific experiences welcomed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

My very unscientific opinion is that itís just a gimmick for deer hunting. Iím gonna try it some more, but I donít think it works.

It works very well for removing odors from vehicles/campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Gimmick!
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

The 12v auto ones have done very well at removing grease and oil oder, as well as dog and other oders, from my car and trucks. Been waiting to try one in the field while ground sitting.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
bowhunterhelm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leander/Christoval

I truly believe it helps but not fool proof. It reduces your scent but doesn't eliminate it. My thoughts on it are that it reduces scent enough that deer will tolerate it and it seems to them that you are farther away than they realize or they believe you were in the area before but have since move off. I've had deer directly down wind of me feeding and calm, I've also been busted and had deer run off using it. I will continue to use it.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #6
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

I will say this:

My blind had to be positioned a certain way at the lease and unfortunately it was primarily upwind from the feeder. I tried all kinds of detergents, sprays, cover scents, etc... but the deer always seemed on edge, even the young does. I bought the cheap HME Ozone machine and hung it up in the Krivoman blind. I instantly saw a difference. The deer were much more at ease, came in more regular, no skittishness, etc... I am sold on ozone now. I have since taken 2 mature bucks at that blind in as many years, as well as multiple does and pigs. I bought a second one and use them in rotation to charge back at camp.

https://www.academy.com/p/hme-produc...e-air-purifier

On another note, I had a mouse/rat/something crawl up in my truck and die while at the lease. I could not find it anywhere and the smell was BAD. I started putting those devices in and turning them on when parked and the smell was gone. Like I said above, they really do work.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
100%TtId
Pope & Young

The other question you'll need to determine for yourself is how much electronic gear are you willing to drag into the field on a bowhunt before it becomes a pursuit driven by technology and not hunting skills learned and passed down through generations. Tuthdoc had some good advice for these situations.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Bull****

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #9
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Gimmick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Bull****

Based on experience or just skepticism of the technology?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Ozone degrades elastic. I ozoned my hunting clothes to include underwear and now my skivvies wont stay up.

Good luck Michael.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #11
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

I have been using Ozonics for about 7 year’s now there is something to it I know that i see more deer hogs and especially predators downwind than I did without I wont say that it is gonna turn you invisible to a nose but it may confuse it long enough to got you a shot
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Michael, I borrowed 2 different ones from other friends who had them to see for myself if they helped me in my particular situation...
Long story short, I deliberately put a double bull blind straight up-wind from a feeder where hogs and deer frequented every day. I hand corned 360 degrees around the blind 10 yards out... Videoed the windchecker cotton and dust as deer feed all around in front of me, even got a 150 class 10 point that was half interested in the does present to work all the way 360 degrees around the blind with absolutely zero reaction of alarm. Often he was 5 yards or less... About 1 hour into the "hunt", a big lone boar came sneaking in. The instant his path crossed the path of the air movement from the blind to him, he bolted like he'd been shot at!! Over the years, I have repeated this same scenario multiple times (I bought an Ozonics after I ran that test) though not as a "test" as such, but in actually hunting situations in East, South, and West Texas. My personal experience has shown me that the ozone machines do help and are a useful tool for deer... No matter what, you ain't gonna fool a hog's nose, PERIOD!! I find that if you practice good scent control as you normally would, the ozone machines can indeed give you that little extra edge when needed. They seem to be especially helpful in an enclosed blind (like a Krivoman or similar) where you can control the air around you. They also seem to work better on those damp still days when your scent just lingers from little to no air movement... (they are good during these periods in tripods or open tree stands).
Hope this helps...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Something about being in a deer blind surrounded by 3 video cameras, Go Pros at every angle, an ozone generator humming, reading a book on your ipad and posting on social media on your iphone just doesn't feel like the hunting experience to me. I've always viewed an ozone generator as just one more electronic thing I didn't want in my deer blind.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #14
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
My very unscientific opinion is that itís just a gimmick for deer hunting. Iím gonna try it some more, but I donít think it works.

It works very well for removing odors from vehicles/campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts too--

I save pill bottles, put cotton in them, and then several drops of skunk scent. When I get to the stand, I open the bottle and leave it on the ground---works for me.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I owned one and no longer do. Seems the deer almost didn't like the ozone more than they didn't like human scent. Multiple times I had the Ozone deal working set up just as recommended in my box. Mounted above my shooting window spraying ozone down over any scent that may have left my only open window. I went all out with mounts, extended batteries, a case etc etc. The deer (one good buck I was after and a group of four does) both boogered up on different hunts. In both instances they threw their heads and nose up in typical fashion and bolted out. In both instances, I turned the ozone off and both groups came back in with no issues. It was eye opening enough for me to stop using it. Had other instances where they never came back after the bolt. I don't really recall have any success stories with the Ozonics in my window. If I did I would still own one. Some folks swear by them ....I haven't had any experiences to allow me to do that.

Name:  AA Slacker hunting view1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  45.6 KB

little better pic of my mounts with multiple windows open for light for the picture purposes
Name:  IMG_8899.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8911.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  60.6 KB

Last edited by Smart; 07-27-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #16
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East & Central Texas

I’ve tried Ozonics, Scent Crusher bag, and the Wild Game Ion with success. As others have said it’s not 100% but I’ve had more success one downwind game then all those scent sprays and products
jjaimes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #17
sotol
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
Something about being in a deer blind surrounded by 3 video cameras, Go Pros at every angle, an ozone generator humming, reading a book on your ipad and posting on social media on your iphone just doesn't feel like the hunting experience to me. I've always viewed an ozone generator as just one more electronic thing I didn't want in my deer blind.
Now I feel insulted! You forgot about my Mr. Buddy heater and my stove to cook hot chocolate, not to mention my remote to make the feeder go off again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
sotol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #18
3rdCoastHunter
Banned!!!

Snake oil for goofs
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #19
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

Not trying to hijack the thread, just something I have always pondered.

Do some deer become ok with some nominal human scents over time in a set? If you have a blind/feeder combination, they just get used to he “smell” to a certain amount?

I ask, because it seems as ozone is not bullet proof in examples given, but it seems some deer become accepting to a certain amount of scent they experience.

I always hunt my sets with the wind in consideration. I never make a sit on a set the wind might be just a little questionable.

That being said, I have always wondered if you were to rotate a piece of clothing on a regular basis in a set, would the deer just become accustomed to the smell?

Ftr, I have never tried an ozone system, so cannot provide input there.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #20
W E H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

i have a couple of electric ozone generators that i use on some of the houses that i buy. they have taken the smoke smell and funk out of a lot of places. but they say very specifically DO NOT STAY IN AREA WHEN IN USE. i turned one on and before i got out of the way it hit me in the face it gave me a crazy headache for a while. i have also had them kill insects in smaller places. (coincidence??) the ones for the blinds must be a different setup than the ones i use for deodorizing.

on a different note, when the deer smell cigars and hear beers opening from my stand they know it's going to be a good day and there will be plenty of extra corn on the ground. those smells and noises mean i'm by myself and i aint shooting and probably the gun is in the truck.
W E H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 02:48 PM   #21
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Michael you prolly knew when you posted this question you would get a 50-50 response. With that said I have been using Ozonics for about 12 years with good results. Its not perfect but it does help and like said earlier it could mean the difference between having a special buck come in down wind or getting busted with out Ozonics. Anyways I don't think it hurts to use one.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #22
corps2010
Ten Point

I'm a firm believer that it works... especially if you're hunting in an enclosed stand. So much so that I carried two of them with me on my Saskatchewan bear hunt this Spring and won't deer hunt here in East Texas without it. I think it's just as important as my bow or binoculars.
It has allowed me to get away with hunting my stands on marginal winds. (I bowhunt out of enclosed blinds and will keep the windows shut and the ozonics running for the last 4 hours of dark).
Now I'm not saying it eliminates 100% of your human scent, but I do think it blocks enough receptors in an animals nose that, without it, you would get busted every time. Using it, in my experience, I have found that probably 7 out of 10 deer that come downwind of me, don't spook like they were before me using it.
I am a snob when it comes to my scent control though, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it too. ( I will shower a month in advance of opening day with scent free soap and continue using it everyday throughout the season, as well as washing all my camo in scent free detergent, wearing rubber boots and spraying fox urine on my boots.)
corps2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #23
JHarrell89
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Midwest for now

It definitely works. To what extent, I don’t know. No one has studied/asked a deer. They wear out your rubber/elastic clothing though. Possible weaken other threads like seatbelts. But you definitely smell like the lake or a rain cloud. It’s basically like smoking your clothes in a campfire. Ozone is a gas.
JHarrell89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
its not perfect but it does help, sometimes, i think.... And like said earlier it could mean the difference between having a special buck come in down wind, a special buck blowing out of there because of the ozonics or getting busted without ozonics. Anyways i don't think it hurts to use one but some folks do......

fify....
Old 07-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #25
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

I've used one with success. It's just part of my arsenal... or was when I bow hunted. Really don't need one at 200 yards
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #26
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I used one religiously for several years in a couple spots that wind swirled. I know they work better than nothing. I canít convince the non-believers and I wonít try. They ainít hunting with me anyway !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #27
Foxtrot
Six Point

Hunt In: Looking!

I have an Ozonics and they work.
They arent fool proof and dont work in all weather conditions.
But, I have shot my last 2 bucks while using my Ozonics.
Both were downwind and never acted as if they knew I was there.

Let plenty of my buddies borrow it and they all swear buy it too and some have purchased them.

What I will ask, those of yall who say it is a gimmick, how many of yall have used one?
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
I have an Ozonics and they work.
They arent fool proof and dont work in all weather conditions.
But, I have shot my last 2 bucks while using my Ozonics.
Both were downwind and never acted as if they knew I was there.

Let plenty of my buddies borrow it and they all swear buy it too and some have purchased them.

What I will ask, those of yall who say it is a gimmick, how many of yall have used one?

Iím not a full and have bought and used one Ö see above.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #29
db@100
Ten Point

I've used the bigger ones for your home and they do work. Like WHE said, you don't stay in the house with it blowing high!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #30
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Based on experience or just skepticism of the technology?
Experience

Old 07-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #31
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca County & Alberta

What bowhunterhelm said is my exact experience.

100% no doubt imho has made a positive difference in our hunts in Lavaca County. We hunt same stands year over year and often with wrong wind (only have two bow blinds). While wary, I notice the difference when I am too lazy, forget or just don't bring because it's summer time ./ only a pig hunt on how much different the animals react.

My two cents.

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #32
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I havenít now hinted in years but I used to use one in ground blinds and pop ups. Got it as a gift. I think it worked but wouldnít ever spend that much myself for one. I remember one time I set a popup in basically an open pasture and brushed it in best I could. It stuck out like a sore thumb but it was the only place there were good bucks on camera. Had several bucks come in and the biggest one would walk straight downwind of me putting his nose in the air trying to wind me and would walk back to eating corn with the others. He did that several times and never winded me. Hogs I noticed it didnít work on. If they got downwind they were gone.

I think it works but I donít bow hunt anymore so havenít used it in years!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #33
trophy8
Pope & Young

When set up correctly I truly believe they work. I was very skeptical till the following happened.

Was in my krivo and had one window open. Ozonics overhead and pointed out the window. I had several deer from 8-20 yards directly downwind. They were calm as can be. I forgot to take my battery and charge it that night from using it both hunts before. Unit died. Within 30 seconds those deer busted me.

I’ve had deer within a few feet while using it. Downwind. I’m not saying I haven’t had that without an Ozonics but when set up correctly I have yet to get busted. I do not see it working in a tree stand in open air near as well as a ground blind where you can control where scent escapes and lay down that Ozonics over it.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #34
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany / Sterling City / Mexico

I think it makes a noticeable difference if you are bow hunting from an enclosed blind, and have the ozonics running on the downwind side of the blind. I have killed savy low fence bucks in 2020 and 2021 - in October (90 degrees w/ the wind blowing over their approach) that I think would have smelled me w/o the ozonics.

They checked the air -smelled something that made them pause - but came in. I think they would have stopped, smelled, and took off, if I was not running the machine.

I think I have enough of a sample size using, and not using it, that I would say it does work - but is not a fail safe.

If I run the ozonics inside an enclosed blind w/ the windows closed - it makes me sick.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #35
trophy8
Pope & Young

I’ll add that I strongly dislike the fan noise. More than once I haven’t heard deer approach that I normally would have without the noise.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #36
Huntingfool
Ten Point

How have so many mature, huge bucks been killed over the years before "Ozionics" was on the market?

Hunters are just like golfers - toss any "new and shiny" product that makes the promise it will make them successful and people will fall for it and worse yet, pay for it.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:17 PM   #37
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
How have so many mature, huge bucks been killed over the years before "Ozionics" was on the market?

Hunters are just like golfers - toss any "new and shiny" product that makes the promise it will make them successful and people will fall for it and worse yet, pay for it.
Very useful information. Thanks for your contributionÖ

I believe they work. As has already been said, I have had better luck with them in a blind versus on a tree stand.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:24 PM   #38
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Nah….you fools that naive?
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #39
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
NahÖ.you fools that naive?
Big antlers on the wall speak volumes
Old 07-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #40
eastover53
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kansas Mississippi Louisiana

I take dirty socks and old tennis shoes and spread them around the feeders. After a while the deer start to associate my scent with food.

I get to the blind and strip naked and the deer come running.
eastover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:27 PM   #41
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Im of the opinion of gimmicky enough that I'm not interested in the hassle (charging, toting around, setting up) for deer hunting. If everyone that used it swore by it, I might would try it. I do however believe that it has odor killing qualities.

I killed my last buck, a 6+ year old, straight downwind at 14 yards from 10' up a tree. If I had an ozonics with me I would swear by them, but I didn't. In fact I was covered in sweat from setting a new stand a couple hundred yards away for the next day. But I was wearing sitka, that's what did it.

Iv been busted by some, and watched some deer downwind hundreds of times over the years. Why do some blow out, and some don't? How could I say that anything worked with those results?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Last edited by LivinADream; 07-27-2022 at 05:32 PM.
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #42
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Does it? Whatcha got rifle boy
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:44 PM   #43
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Iíve known passthrough for years and I know for a fact all he kills is runts. I remember how excited he was that one time he shot a 3.5 year old 132Ē because he thought it would net P&Y.
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #44
Double R 2
Four Point

Hunt In: N.TX/S.OK

I think they help more than they will hurt you. Some deer will come in downwind and never know you are there. Others come in and know something is different. Some will leave, some may just be on guard to the different smell.
I've got to where I ozone all my hunting clothes and just leave them in a small closet and run the ozonics in there. I leave them in there all hunting season. Most of the time I change in the field right before I go hunting and don't bring the ozonics with me. I rarely get winded and seem to spook less deer that way.
Double R 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #45
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Iím not a full believer and have bought and used one Ö see above.

Fixed it for myself..
Old 07-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #46
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I Hogs I noticed it didn’t work on. If they got downwind they were gone.

Same here....Rob at Sniper Hog Lights echoed the same sentiment on here. I think they are smelling the ozone and bolt...much like my deer ....or at least I think the deer bolted for that reason. I couldn't get them to answer me...
Old 07-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #47
Huntingfool
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Very useful information. Thanks for your contributionÖ

I believe they work. As has already been said, I have had better luck with them in a blind versus on a tree stand.
YOU are welcome
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #48
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post
on a different note, when the deer smell cigars and hear beers opening from my stand they know it's going to be a good day and there will be plenty of extra corn on the ground. those smells and noises mean i'm by myself and i aint shooting and probably the gun is in the truck.
All-some!!!!!
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM   #49
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Here's what I think when people spend 300
They want to think it works. Hell Michael i have one aty camp you could have. I don't know about the batteries

Old 07-27-2022, 07:10 PM   #50
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I had one and sold it. Way more trouble than what it’s worth. It may work, it may not, but it’s not needed and just a gimmick IMO.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top