Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
CTR0022
Ten Point

Default Do your kids love it?

Just curious how many of yalls kids absolutely love hunting. Its what they want to do all the time and over anything.

Or do your kids like hunting, but they are fine just hunting a few times a season. They would rather play golf, football, baseball, be with their friends, and what not.

When I was a kid, my dads thing was golf. I never really cared for golf. Hunting and fishing was always my thing. Now that I'm a dad, my 9 year old doesn't care anything about hunting; even though she has been around it her whole life. It's just not her thing and I can respect that and am not going to force it on her. She will fish with me, but its not really her thing either, but I enjoy the time we get to spend fishing together.

So just curious how yalls kids take to hunting.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Not near as serious as I took it when I was a kid - mine enjoy it and go a few times per season, but they are not eat up with it like I was
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I am really hoping mine catch the addiction. Way too early to tell.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:01 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My son enjoys hunting deer but not ate up with it like I was at his age.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:14 PM   #5
TKRanch
Ten Point

My son likes it, but not as crazy about it as I was and now he is in college and time is tough so hard to make it happen since we don't have a lease. That said, I am proud of him and I know if I called him and told him I had a hunt planned for us he would jump all over it!!!
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:27 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Daughter loves it

Son thinks he does. He gets behind the trigger this year
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:28 PM   #7
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Son is now 22…he would live outdoors if able
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:28 PM   #8
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Had high hopes and visions that both of my boys would love to hunt. Got both of them through hunters Ed and neither want to hunt... ever. They're both pretty much grown now, so I guess I have grandkids to look forward to.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:32 PM   #9
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
Not near as serious as I took it when I was a kid - mine enjoy it and go a few times per season, but they are not eat up with it like I was
This is my exact situation
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:36 PM   #10
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
Same, and it makes me sad
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 11:43 PM   #11
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

My son lives for it. His goal every year is to put enough meat in the freezer that he doesn’t have to buy any at the store. He gets it done and he has 9 mouths to feed.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 11:46 PM   #12
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

My kids are young 9 and 5 but both love everything about it, my son actually killed his first deer last year with a crossbow!!!!
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #13
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public/Childress

My kids dont love it, yet.

I am divorced and only get my kids (boy -12, girl -9) partially throughout the year. I think at their age, they are just happy to get to spend some time with dad... and if its in a blind or on the bank with catfish rods out, or hiking the trails, they dont care as long as they are with me.

Now, they have spent more time in those positions ^^ than most their age and they are enjoying IT more and more, which makes my heart happy. I've watched my kids catch their first fish, shoot their first deer, clean their first squirrel, get buck fever, sleep in the blind, and all the memories that come along with this genre of teaching/learning.

When I'm at an age where I can no longer go physically or they start taking their own children and teaching them the ways they learned from me, THAT'S when theyll realize they love it.

So, I don't think they love it........ yet.
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 02:40 AM   #14
BlessedVeteran0305
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

Both of my boys have shot their first deer. My oldest got hooked and loves to hunt for anything he can. My youngest is too much of an animal lover to want to kill anything anymore. So yes and no.
BlessedVeteran0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 04:30 AM   #15
JakeM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.

Mine isnt old enough yet but she loves to chase deer and pet my mounts so hopefully she falls in love with it
JakeM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #16
elhefe
Ten Point

21 year old daughter will go with me occasionally but I think it’s mostly to spend time with me which is great. Could care less if she kills another deer. 18 year old son doesn’t care to do it all. He is a musician and an artsy type so that’s what he is into. 15 year old son loves it. He’s gotten to be a good little hunter. Did the same things with all three of them. Nothing different. Some love it. Some don’t
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #17
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

My daughter loves hunting (she's shot one buck) and baseball. My son, after shooting a buck and a doe, is like, meh...

Hey, that's at least a .500 batting average. At least.

kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 06:36 AM   #18
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

My daughter does not "love " it but enjoys watching the animals and the world go to sleep as dark falls. but she will get up to go fishing with me. I cannot get her up to go in the morning. She loves the morning sunrise on the water
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:06 AM   #19
riverbowman
Ten Point

My kids absolutely loved it when they were little and up through middle school. They still love to go, but sports, members of the opposite sex, etc. has their attention as well now. I'm totally cool with that.

I would add this. I learned that my daughter doesn't really like to shoot anything larger than a dove, but thought it was expected of her being one of my kids. Wish I would have picked up on that sooner. She really just liked being in the outdoors and hanging with me and her brothers, which is everything I could possibly ask for.

Last edited by riverbowman; 07-19-2022 at 07:12 AM.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #20
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

My daughter really loves deer hunting. Not as much into other stuff like pigs, dove, rabbits etc. Will shoot a pig if it comes out but deer hunting is her thing.

My son is 100 percent eat up with hunting. Absolutely loves it. Would go every single day if he could. Doesn't matter what it is he'll hunt it.

Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-19-2022 at 07:21 AM.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #21
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

2 out of the 3 kids enjoy it but nothing like I did when I was young. I chalk it up to trophy hunting. When I was a kid it was how wide and how many points. I didn’t hear about B/C until the early 90’s. Kids just want to shoot we’ve made hunting to a large extent boring, nowadays we know exactly what deer, age and score before we even get started.
I can’t tell you how many guys get discouraged in mid September because they don’t have any good deer on camera, that trickles down to your kids.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:35 AM   #22
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

My oldest daughter enjoys going occasionally but it is not her passion.

My oldest son is beyond ate up with it. He wants to hunt everything all the time to the point that he is planning to skip a football game next year so he can go archery elk hunting with me.

The 2nd oldest boy loves to fish and is quickly becoming passionate about hunting as well.

3rd son fishes.....all day, everyday no matter what the weather even when the fishing sucks. This kid is addicted to fishing like the oldest boy is to hunting.

2nd daughter is much like the oldest and will enjoy it when she goes but its certainly not a must do for her.

4th son........doesn't like to get hot and doesn't like to be cold......we literally kick him outside and lock the door because if we don't he will sit in his room and play with toys or watch tv.

5th son is passionate about whatever he is doing at that particular moment but what 5 year old isn't

3rd daughter who is also 5 is a hunting junkie. Throws a fit if I go without her, watches youtube hunting shows with me and asked for only 1 thing at Christmas last year.....a bow & arrow

4th daughter is about to turn 5 and just bounces around everywhere with a smile on her face. No real passions yet so we shall see
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #23
Texashookset
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb

My only kid, daughter, used to be into it about half as much as I was growing up but the last year not as much. First serious boyfriend this last year she met off at college and all she does is spend her free time with him. She’s even taking a “break” now from school and wanting to be a “grown” up with this dude by going to work and paying the bills. Not my cup of tea, gamer kid a few years older than her but wife says just let her be and see what the real worlds like. Pretty sure our hunting/fishing days are on hold for a few years if she’s going to be with this whoever the hell he is kid. ****** me off but it’s probably more me being selfish being worried she won’t get back in school or worse.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #24
Roperyoung
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler county, Uvalde county, Burnet county

My 9 year old is ate up with it. He talks about it 24/7, checks and moves cameras in the yard daily, shoots his bow, sets and checks live traps, etc. He will beat you to death with questions and ideas.
Roperyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #25
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

My 15 year old son and 16 year old daughter will hunt and they like it when they go. With that said, they always seem busy and definitely don't have the passion for it that I did when I was young. My 21 year old daughter hunts more now than she ever did as a teenager and her and her husband are getting more into it lately.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 07:55 AM   #26
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

My son is hard into it. daughter goes every once in awhile.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #27
Walker
Pope & Young

Son likes to hunt but isn't ate up with it. Daughter #1 is almost manic about shotgun sports and daughter#2 would rather hunt than eat.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 08:19 AM   #28
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

My Son sure does. He has turned into a fine outdoorsman. He's headed to Colorado Elk hunting on his own this year.
Name:  clay3deer.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  125.3 KB
Name:  BFA_3-04-12_5.JPG
Views: 634
Size:  87.8 KB
Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  74.9 KB

I miss the days we spent hunting now that he's out on his own. Luckily my Daughter likes to hunt also.

Name:  Ryanne hunt.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  121.9 KB
Name:  20191005_084302.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  207.9 KB
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #29
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

My son is 12 and eat up with it. He has been with me on just about every trip since he was 2. He shot his first deer at 7 and hasn't let up one bit. He shoots multiple deer every year, I think when he was 9 he shot around 12 to 15 as I had several buddies ask him to come shoot does at their place for them (MLD tags). This past season he started sitting by himself and did an outstanding job. We would text each other during the hunts on what we were seeing. I got a kick out of his texts. It was just like I was texting an adult hunter. He was all about telling me about g2's or G3's or brow tine height or mass or spread or ..... He talks about when he is grown and has his own business and is rich we are going to go all over the world hunting. I sure hope his dreams come true!!!!
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #30
Tokio
Spike

My oldest son was never interested. My youngest (senior at Tarleton) is totally eat up with it. We’ll see how excited he is next year when he gets to start paying his part. Lol.
Tokio is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #31
Diamond07
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb

My kids are too young but I hope they love it. I was consumed by hunting and fishing when I was a kid and still am. But, my parents weren’t into it at all so it was hard to have the opportunities that the kids who had parents that were really into it.

With that said and knowing the feeling, I will try to be ate up with whatever my kids are passionate about instead of just ignoring it. I’d rather be with them and learning what they love them dragging them to things they could care less about. I’ll let y’all know how it works out in about 10 years haha

Last edited by Diamond07; 07-19-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Diamond07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #32
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

I have 3 sons. 2 of them love to hunt and fish; especially my oldest. He has been shooting pigs since 3-4 years old and shot his first buck this year at 5. My middle son; loves fishing. He also is looking forward to shooting his first pig this year. My youngest is 1 and just enjoys being around his brothers while they fish and shoot.

Both love shooting anything that moves, or cans, with their sling shots.
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #33
Alexal
Nubbin' Buck

My daughter is only 3, though she wants to try fishing. My son is 6. He likes fishing but I haven't taken him hunting yet. Actually, I don't know when it is time.
Alexal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #34
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokio View Post
My oldest son was never interested. My youngest (senior at Tarleton) is totally eat up with it. We’ll see how excited he is next year when he gets to start paying his part. Lol.
That is kinda one of the reasons I started this thread. Was curious how many kids are just kinda into hunting, they do it bc their parents do it or it is convenient for them. With the cost of hunting and cost of living. I wonder how many cant justify the cost of hunting when they have to start paying it for themselves; considering they weren't all that into it to begin with.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #35
Bdub25
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Oldest son (22) does not like to hunt. The jury is still out on the youngest boy (10).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bdub25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #36
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

Mine both love to go to the ranch. My son is all about killing everything that moves. My daughter is much more picky. Both really like the cooking and campfire time. We have a no phone rule at the camp. Great conversation is had because of this.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #37
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

My son likes to hunt. Especially bird hunting! It’s kinda lit a fire back into me as well chasing birds. He enjoys the deer lease and still fished with me some but not like he used too. My daughter has no desire to fish and wants to go to the lease just to play in the camper and watch movies. I’ve tried to get her to go and sit in a stand with me in the evenings but she doesn’t want too! 8 hours is too far to drive to play in a camper and watch movies! She likes to ride in the boat and swim though.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #38
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Kimble County

My daughter is 10 and last year was her first year behind the trigger, which included her first duck, deer and pig. She is showing more interest now this year and hopefully that continues to grow.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #39
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller County, Rocksprings and "H"

My son is ate up with it, hunting and fishing.

My middle daughter will fish occasionally,

Youngest daughter loves to hunt and fish.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #40
joevillars
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

My son are daughter loves the out doors. The deer lease is there happy place. If it’s not fishing or hunting they aren’t interested in it.

joevillars is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 06:14 AM   #41
The Insurance Guy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

I am so lucky that my kids live to hunt!! I have two lifelong hunting partners and cannot wait to see what the future holds for us. We have a busy fall planned and this may be our best hunting season yet?!?!

The Insurance Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 06:30 AM   #42
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Mine like the idea of going hunting, but then aren’t real enthusiastic once we get to the deer lease. Hoping they grow into it a little.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #43
Marko
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Same, and it makes me sad
All can change, back when I was a kid, I wasn't as much into hunting. Only got really into it when i was in early 20s
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #44
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My oldest son hunted when he was a kid but doesn’t care anything about it now, my youngest son loves to hunt and fish but isn’t as “obsessed” as I was at his age, and my daughter likes to hunt but can take it or leave it.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #45
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

TLDR:
Teach your kids hunting even if they aren't that interested.

Full Story:
For those worried your kids aren't that into it. I hunted hard from 12 until 18 (I sat in the tree starting at 10), then went to college 3 hours from home. I tried to learn how to hunt the woods in Northern Michigan, but lost interest when living on a poor college kid budget and I was the only one doing it. I stopped hunting for 10 years, from 18 to 28.

At 28, I found elk hunting. Turns out, I just got bored with white tail hunting. I love chasing animals. Elk have me back into it harder than ever, and I found that I now tolerate white tail hunting because the feeling of providing food for my family is awesome.

So for those who think their kids aren't that interested, I was one of those kids, and now live for the September elk woods.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #46
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

My son is 19 and college. When he came home for break last year (thanksgiving thru second week of jan) he spent more time in the deer stand than he did at home. Which didnt make either of the grannies happy.

I think he likes to fish more thought. Going to school in florida doesnt help that
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #47
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County & Mexico

My daughter is 4 so its way early in the process but she loves watching deer hunting shows and loves talking about hunting. That said, she has bailed at any attempt to go hunting or fishing in the past. We will see how it goes this season but quality time together is all I really want.
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #48
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

My daughter never did. My son did when he was young but really lost his desire in his early teens. He had killed a dozen or so deer including a decent buck up in Missouri.
I think part of it was his allergies are pretty tough on him and a weekend of hunting was a week of sick and breathing treatments after. Now he's older he wants to go shoot pigs but somehow our schedules never line up.
A post earlier pretty much said it. We've screwed our kids over hunting wise. The cost and availability of good leases is something most young men and women starting out, especially with a new family, just can't afford.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #49
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

My oldest is more can take it or leave it. He doesn't like the early mornings.

My daughter seems to like going but don't know if that's to hunt or just to hang out with me.

Youngest loves to go. We take his bb gun and he gets to shoot stuff with it after the hunt.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #50
K. Lane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

My wife and I have 8 kids from soon to be 25 to just turned 11
My oldest son (soon to be 25) is ate up with anything hunting but is married with a family and we don’t get to hunt much together anymore
My oldest 2 daughters and 2nd oldest son would much rather sip latte’s with Beto at Starbucks than even look outside (I love em but I don’t like em very much…sorry, not sorry)
My 19 year old really loves hunting as well but he is in the Army and doesn’t get many chances to go anymore
My 16 yr old daughter and 14 year old son love to hunt as well and are getting better everyday. Emma killed her first buck this past season and 10 minutes later whacked a good blackbuck
My eleven year old daughter loves goin to the lease and being outdoors but not so much hunting but she is INSANE about fishin. She is really beatin me up about takin her offshore
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top