deer blind walls - lumber prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build is on family land and meant to last 20 plus years, with that in mind what would you use that is the most affordable for the walls? Blind is 8x8 and I have looked at home depot forcefield and hp smart panel. Thoughts? Advice? I am all ears and looking for the best cost effective method.

Hardy board

Comment

I have primed smart panel on 3. Two ground blinds and a platform. I put quality paint on them all. Drip edge on seams and silicone on screw and staple holes.

One ground blind is going on 7 or 8 years in complete shade with no issues

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a molded blind like Krivoman, Maverick, or Turtle. They will last longer than any wood blind you can build right now.

Maverick XL is 7.5’ round.

If you already started the build then hardy board
        Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-08-2022, 08:13 PM.

Comment

If you've got the frame and just need to wall it, go get you some V-groove galvanized panels and use that. I have one that I reskinned 30 years ago with it that on the inside still looks just like it did the day I put it up... It was on a 25 foot tower on the Rio Grande from 1989 until 2015, then I moved it to South Texas where it stands today but only on a 12 foot tower... It's 4 X 8 X 6'6" tall... Used hardie plank for outside windows, Lexan for interior windows... Foamboard insulation on the walls/ceiling with carpet on the floor and walls... Warm, quiet, comfortable and big enough for me and my 2 grandsons to hunt together... Same stand me and my 2 kids hunted out of when they were little...

Edit to add: If you haven't started building it, just go get you a Krivoman... It will last you a lifetime...

Comment

Hardy. I would also consider fencing it from cows. Just my two cents

Comment

Thanks for the information, I already started the build and just lack buying the walls at this point. However, I have another blind I need to buy for another property next year and will look at the Krivoman suggestions. I need something that is roomy 8x8 for kids and grandpa to all sit together, along with me.

Comment

I have built several 1/2 in plywood deer stands that are still standing after 20 years. Just paint from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  I have built several 1/2 in plywood deer stands that are still standing after 20 years. Just paint from time to time

I’m currently building one. My last one is still good after 10 years just need another one. My original stand is now our well house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another plus for the sheet metal is it will be much lighter than wood or hardie plank... Paint once and you're done... And in today's market it's probably cheaper than plywood...

Comment

Sheet metal is good but loud when bumped. The only reason someone would suggest hardi is because they’ve never used lp smart siding.

Comment

I am leaning towards the lp smart panel. Cheaper than the 1/2 plywood ground treated
                        $4 dollars per panel cheaper which isn't a huge amount considering overall cost on project. I guess it comes down to lp smart panel versus 1/2 in plywood and anyone's experiences using them

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          I am leaning towards the lp smart panel. Cheaper than the 1/2 plywood ground treated
                          $4 dollars per panel cheaper which isn't a huge amount considering overall cost on project. I guess it comes down to lp smart panel versus 1/2 in plywood and anyone's experiences using them

I built several over the years using 1/2” plywood, but then I built a few using LP Smart board about 9 years ago. The smart board is already primed, and has held up to the hill country and south Texas sun far better than my plywood blinds. If I ever get on another lease, I’ll be using it again.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                            I built several over the years using 1/2” plywood, but then I built a few using LP Smart board about 9 years ago. The smart board is already primed, and has held up to the hill country and south Texas sun far better than my plywood blinds. If I ever get on another lease, I’ll be using it again.

Thank you for the information

Comment

Built mine 5x7x 6' tall

Perfect size

Use smart side. Costs more but will last 2-3x longer than plywood

Comment

Working...
                              X