2014 Panhandle Rut/Hunting Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the tradition of last year's great thread, I'm opening the 2014 Panhandle Hunting Thread. Please post all your panhandle hunting observations, successes, whatever, in here. Season is just around the corner. Best of luck to all. I know it's early but post 'em up when you can!

Was out at my place over the Labor Day weekend making final preparations for the coming season. Installed Deerview windows in my blinds, hung cameras, topped off the feeders (been throwing since June), and did some weed eating around the blinds. I took a pair of Z-Trap dog proof coon traps out there in an attempt to knock out a few corn thieves. I got three coons in five nights using corn for bait. Not bad, but I don't think I have a big coon population anyway.

We did have a great family dove opener with the wife and kids. It was the kids' first time and they had a blast.

On my place, the bucks always show late September/early October, but I did manage to snag some pics of this guy, still in velvet. Figure he's got some decent age on him.

Last edited by kry226; 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM.

One of my best friends has a 160 acres east of Wheeler
    about 5 miles that I shot my biggest deer in 2000 with a gun but I was still proud anyway..... Gross 136
    And I can hunt it anytime I want for free... He hunts too
    So I got it made but hate the 5 1/2 hr drive though

Comment

Originally posted by oldblackmax View Post
      One of my best friends has a 160 acres east of Wheeler
      about 5 miles that I shot my biggest deer in 2000 with a gun but I was still proud anyway..... Gross 136
      And I can hunt it anytime I want for free... He hunts too
      So I got it made but hate the 5 1/2 hr drive though
      Awesome! But it's a 10 hour drive for me right now.

Comment

Yup if I'm gonna drive 10 hrs I'm going to take a chance
        and go to old Mexico why not?

Comment

I can't wait to get some cameras up at my place in Childress. I haven't had a chance to put any up yet. I didn't see any good shooters last year. Hopefully one will show up this year

I'll be in the panhandle Hunting antelope the first weekend in October tho

Comment

Great thread. I am laid up for awhile not sure if I will get any hunting time in this year. Thankfully my buddy I hunt with has kept up with the feeders. He is at our place now. Bummed that I couldn't go. I am sure this thread will help my motivation. Looking forward to some great pics and good stories.

Comment

They are chasing on our place. O-wait I will post that later. Going down this weekend to put up groundblinds and make sure feeders are doing what they are made to do.

Comment

Hogs have overrun our place in Kent/Stonewall county. Have not chked cameras lately but hopefully the hogs move on down or up the river during the season. Only saw one hog at a feeder while I was there last year. Best horns we have ever seen on this lease last year and I hope the growth continues. Decent rains, but we do need some more right now.

Comment

Following. Im laying off this year and not hunting much but I will keep you up to date on what I see in Hemphill and Wheeler counties.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    Hogs have overrun our place in Kent/Stonewall county. Have not chked cameras lately but hopefully the hogs move on down or up the river during the season. Only saw one hog at a feeder while I was there last year. Best horns we have ever seen on this lease last year and I hope the growth continues. Decent rains, but we do need some more right now.
                    Oh Doug ..pics are looking good! I think it will be a good year!

Comment

I hunt in Cottle County, is that close enough? I was out there filling feeders a couple weeks ago and it is really grown up. I've been watching the weather all spring and summer, and they have gotten some good rains out there so far. I'm looking forward to pics when I go out there next.

Comment

Brad good to hear about what is showing up on pics. Need to get down there ASAP, but I will miss the first 2 wknds of bow season due to prior commitments.

Comment

Seen a lot of good horns crossing the highways when I travel to and from work every day. Looks like a good fawn crop this year. Maybe this rain is bringing things back to normal.

Comment

I'm in Hall and I've never seen it so green. We actually got about 1.5" of rain Thursday evening when we arrived.

Interestingly, I never got the first pic of a hog the five days we were there. Seems they come and go year to year. Haven't seen any turkeys in a couple of years either. Wouldn't mind knocking a few of those down this fall.

Not sure about the fawn crop. Only got one pic of one still in spots, but there seem to be lots of yearlings around. Maybe last year was better than we thought for recruitment.

Keep it coming boys!

Comment

Snuck up on this guy south of Follet in Lipscomb Co.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X