Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #251
lanceodom
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LaSalle County

If this is true, aggy will get Nelson.... $15million over 3 years.. welcome to pro ball fellas... hand it to ag for stepping up.

https://twitter.com/BoardGeniuses/st...35B3nhU9h-yiVA
lanceodom is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #252
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceodom View Post
If this is true, aggy will get Nelson.... $15million over 3 years.. welcome to pro ball fellas... hand it to ag for stepping up.

Malachi Nelson is a stud. If the Aggies ever start spending the money on OL that they have spent on DL and other positions, then watch out.
El General is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #253
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
if this is true, aggy will get nelson.... $15million over 3 years.. Welcome to pro ball fellas... Hand it to ag for stepping up.

https://twitter.com/boardgeniuses/st...35b3nhu9h-yiva
Name:  11250351.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  128.4 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #254
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:

It is the only way they were going to have a chance to land him. It's Jerry Maguire time!

In this market, you do what ya gotta do. He will/would be a game changer for their recruiting class.

Last edited by Chad C; 08-17-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Chad C is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 10:15 AM   #255
Snapperhead94
Six Point

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
It is the only way they were going to have a chance to land him. It's Jerry Maguire time!

In this market, you do what ya gotta do. He will/would be a game changer for their recruiting class.
Maybe he'll bring Branch with him!
Snapperhead94 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 10:15 AM   #256
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperhead94 View Post
If he flips, the croots will follow.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #257
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Malachi Nelson is a stud. If the Aggies ever start spending the money on OL that they have spent on DL and other positions, then watch out.
Ags already have a pretty decent recent history of OL development (early last season not withstanding.) The Ag OL was final 3 for the Joe Moore award the season before last. I believe there are 11 Aggie offensive linemen currently playing key roles for NFL teams, including a first rounder from last year's OL.

The Aggie OL was pretty young and inexperienced (and banged up) last season, but they are returning two freshmen all Americans (Fatheree and Foster) and a pre season all American and Lombardi & Outland (and Wuerffel) watch lists candidate, Layden Robinson. There is also much more quality depth than last season. I think OL will ultimately be a strength of this year's team.

Isn't 2024 supposed to be a stellar recruiting cycle for OL prospects in Texas (especially compared to the current cycle?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #258
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
How bout yall change it up today and instead of stroking your own team's ego nonstop, you can only say something nice or talk positive about another team?

I'll go first...Baylor today vs the Baylor from the 90's & 2000's is a great program turnaround. Some bumpy areas with Briles but even that rebound was pretty remarkable with some great hires in Rhule and Aranda. Definitely didn't think Baylor would be back where they are after that whole mess.
I'll give it a shot

I think Sark hiring Gary Patterson was the best assistant/coordinator hire of the off-season. He's a great coach who did a lot with less than some of the big programs he competed against in the B12.

I think Venables was the best HC hire of the offseason. He's a little weird, and he acts like Dabo, but he's a solid coach and seems like a good guy. OU fans should supprt this dude.
flatlander is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #259
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northwest Texas Plains

I don't hate the color orange.

ac
Adgerc15 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #260
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'll give it a shot

I think Sark hiring Gary Patterson was the best assistant/coordinator hire of the off-season. He's a great coach who did a lot with less than some of the big programs he competed against in the B12.

I think Venables was the best HC hire of the offseason. He's a little weird, and he acts like Dabo, but he's a solid coach and seems like a good guy. OU fans should supprt this dude.
Both good mentions and agree with both. If GP can't get a fire lit in ATX on the Defensive side, not sure who can. I think he will help set a culture of toughness and accountability. OU did a great job with their hire and interested to see how Lebby's Offense sets in.
Fmjag64 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 11:15 AM   #261
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Rumor has it they're in a pretty good position with Branch regardless of what Nelson does. Not saying they'll land either (I personally think the Nelson buzz is mostly clickbait - "Messageboard Geniuses" sounds like it's sole purpose is to troll various message boards) but I wouldn't be surprised to see them flip Branch. I would be very surprised to see Nelson sign anywhere other than USC.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #262
lanceodom
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Rumor has it they're in a pretty good position with Branch regardless of what Nelson does. Not saying they'll land either (I personally think the Nelson buzz is mostly clickbait - "Messageboard Geniuses" sounds like it's sole purpose is to troll various message boards) but I wouldn't be surprised to see them flip Branch. I would be very surprised to see Nelson sign anywhere other than USC.
One or both would be a nice pull. I think they are chasing clicks but there has to be a story in there somewhere right??
Old 08-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #263
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree. Nelson would be a helluva pull from a coach he has a longstanding relationship with and a history of putting QB's in the league. But, it's a whole new world with this NIL business. It's pretty wild to see what has taken place and I'm sure it's not going to slow down anytime soon.

Branch would be huge.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #264
bklem
Ten Point

Not that anyone besides myself and maybe one or two others on here care, but I found this article pretty good. For your light reading pleasure and a change of pace. For the record, I just want my Mustangs to finish stronger than we have the last couple of years. Oh and beat the Frogs again-more so this year than any since the '80's.

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/natio...0058dafb5.html
bklem is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #265
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Guess who is in the Top 15 for having one of the WORST college football programs this year...... Texas should be 1-0 afterwards

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks
ULM got off to a promising start under new head coach Terry Bowden but would lose their final five games of the season. The lack of a passing offense led to the demise and will need to be addressed this season if they have any shot at reaching four wins again. The problem will be their schedule, which is brutal for a team trying to rebuild. They begin the season at Texas and then travel to Alabama two weeks later. Those paydays will help the Hawks down the road, but not this year.
Speedgoat is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #266
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

If A&M is paying $15M for Nelson, does that mean Texas is paying $45M for their class this year? That's what I heard. Obviously, it's true. Now go spread the word.

Also, if we're paying Nelson (#2 rated overall QB) $15M, does that mean we paid Weigman (#2 rated overall QB) $15M last year?

So retarded to even think that kinda money is being spent on 1 player out of 85
EastTexasMan is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #267
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post

Our O-Line is pretty darn good. And that’s before NIL. The 2 true freshman were outstanding last year and made first team all freshman SEC. Not to mention a first round NFL draft pick and a kid that will be a junior who was named to the preseason 1st team all SEC watchlist this year. But that D-Line haul gets attention for obvious reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pin Oak DXT is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #268
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Default 2022 College Football - Fall Camps and Predictions Thread

I’ll play nice even though I usually do.

Baylor - what a great hire with Arranda. Bears will compete for another conference championship.

OkState - how nobody has pulled Gundy out of Stillwater still baffles me. Kudos to him for staying loyal. My pick to win the conference.

Texas - Bijan and Worthy are the most skilled players in the Big12-2-2+4. Will the OL allow them to do damage?

L$U - Bayou Brian has been able to recruit at a high level. They scare the **** out of me.

Ole Miss - gonna be a problem and ruin someone’s season. Joey Freshwater has them ready. Can they replace Corral is a big ?

Arkansas- they could win 10 games. That matchup with the Ags in week 4 will likely springboard the winner to a 9 or 10 win season.

Bama - screw you little Nicky. Eat **** and die

Last edited by Pin Oak DXT; 08-17-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #269
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
If A&M is paying $15M for Nelson, does that mean Texas is paying $45M for their class this year? That's what I heard. Obviously, it's true. Now go spread the word.

Also, if we're paying Nelson (#2 rated overall QB) $15M, does that mean we paid Weigman (#2 rated overall QB) $15M last year?

So retarded to even think that kinda money is being spent on 1 player out of 85
Yes, it is highly unlikely. The rumblings are that he will NIL for around 2 million at SC. Not far off the 7 figures Ewers puled in from NIL when he toyed with tOSU.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:50 PM   #270
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
Our O-Line is pretty darn good. And that’s before NIL. The 2 true freshman were outstanding last year and made first team all freshman SEC. Not to mention a first round NFL draft pick and a kid that will be a junior who was named to the preseason 1st team all SEC watchlist this year. But that D-Line haul gets attention for obvious reasons.

That wasn't a comment on who was there, but more of a comment on where they seem to be allocating resources.
El General is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 03:01 PM   #271
lanceodom
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

OkState - how nobody has pulled Gundy out of Stillwater still baffles me. Kudos to him for staying loyal. My pick to win the conference.

Have you ever heard Gundy talk?? The dude has an edge to him and unlike Saban's edge, he hasn't won any championships so he gets discounted as an A-hole. However, the dude can coach football, he had to have folks coming to him but not with enough dough I guess???
Old 08-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #272
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

Tennessee came after Gundy pretty hard - twice I think - but that's the only school he has talked to that I recall (at least that was publicly known about) Most recently when he reportedly got cross ways with T Boone. He's got a great life in Stillwater and doesn't seem to have much ambition to go anywhere else.

#

Last edited by jerp; 08-17-2022 at 03:21 PM.
jerp is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #273
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush2Judge View Post
Given Texas will likely be 1-1 after two games, I don't expect clear skies over Austin.
2-0!! Just believe in Sark!!!
Speedgoat is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #274
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Tennessee came after Gundy pretty hard - twice I think - but that's the only school he has talked to that I recall (at least that was publicly known about) Most recently when he reportedly got cross ways with T Boone. He's got a great life in Stillwater and doesn't seem to have much ambition to go anywhere else

#
I love how he's stayed loyal in a time where most dont.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #275
HR3
Ten Point

Hunt In: AR,LA,MS,AL,TX,IN....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
I was just talking to someone about this a few days ago. As a kid we never wore shoes in the summer and early fall. Our feet always looked filthy. Even after a bath. The roads where I grew up were old soft asphalt and gravel. It would stick to your bare feet and make a thin crust. We could run through stickers and walk on just about anything. No way my feet could walk on anything like that these days.
Shoes were meant for school and church
However, it was the numerous injuries to my feet that broke me out of all ways going barefoot. Now, my feet never touch the floor.... Slide outta bed right into my slides....

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
HR3 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #276
preaux40
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR3 View Post
Shoes were meant for school and church
However, it was the numerous injuries to my feet that broke me out of all ways going barefoot. Now, my feet never touch the floor.... Slide outta bed right into my slides....

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
Yep . .
preaux40 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #277
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Is anyone using YouTubeTV for CFB? I used Sling last year because it had the Pac12 Network, but I didn't get ABC so I missed many games. YouTubeTV has local channels plus the regular ESPN and FS1. I hate how the streaming service seems to take forever switching back and forth between the games. My local cable company has $40 in fees per month so I will not use them just on principle.
thegrouse is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:20 AM   #278
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Is anyone using YouTubeTV for CFB? I used Sling last year because it had the Pac12 Network, but I didn't get ABC so I missed many games. YouTubeTV has local channels plus the regular ESPN and FS1. I hate how the streaming service seems to take forever switching back and forth between the games. My local cable company has $40 in fees per month so I will not use them just on principle.
I've been using it for about a year. Zero complaints.
Casey is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:27 AM   #279
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I want

So Ags getting the #1 QB in the nation? Nice.

BMAs, baby.
Chase This! is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #280
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

Quote:
I use it as well. Get ESPN+ as well and you pick up a ton of games too.
Heath is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #281
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
How bout yall change it up today and instead of stroking your own team's ego nonstop, you can only say something nice or talk positive about another team?
Yeah....no.
RLB is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #282
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
Yeah....no.
You can only talk about the same **** thing 20 different ways, so many times. Literally the same arguments and ego stroking every day lol. Never seen a prouder 8-4 and 5-7 teams in my life. Surely yall cant be that tunnel visioned.

Rebuttal: "tech sucks blah blah blah...." save your breath. I've missed you, RLB. Me you and Smart gonna grab a beer one of these days!

Last edited by Fmjag64; 08-18-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #283
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
We’ve been using YouTubeTV for years and like it a lot for all sports.
James is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #284
Snapperhead94
Six Point

Quote:

I'll go first...Baylor today vs the Baylor from the 90's & 2000's is a great program turnaround. Some bumpy areas with Briles but even that rebound was pretty remarkable with some great hires in Rhule and Aranda. Definitely didn't think Baylor would be back where they are after that whole mess.
Ok, I'll try.

Congrats to tech on the stadium expansion. Tortillas and batteries should fly farther being thrown from a second level!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #285
Chad_E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co.

Between YouTubeTV & the Disney+ package which includes ESPN+, I feel like I can catch almost every game.
Chad_E is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #286
Michael
Administrator

I have YTTV and it works fairly well for us. It goes unused for long periods of time, but we keep it, essentially, for college football and Aggie baseball.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:16 AM   #287
thegrouse
Pope & Young

I dont watch TV between February and September. Ill probably start the youtube opening weekend. I dont have a google account and I have been avoiding creating one. Guess it is time to give in
Old 08-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #288
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
I dont watch TV between February and September. Ill probably start the youtube opening weekend. I dont have a google account and I have been avoiding creating one. Guess it is time to give in
I just do Hulu during football season. Other than that don't watch TV, Have netflix for TV if I want to watch something.
bowhuntertex is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #289
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Looks like the B1G scored a solid tv deal.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #290
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Ok, I'll try.

Congrats to tech on the stadium expansion. Tortillas and batteries should fly farther being thrown from a second level!
Old 08-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #291
Heath
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks like the B1G scored a solid tv deal.
This leaves ESPN void of inventory of games so they probably ink a new deal with the Big 12, thus releasing OU and Texas to go to the SEC earlier and with less of an exit fee.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #292
Heath
Pope & Young

Good news for A&M and anybody else in the Nelson sweepstakes, he just signed with Klutch Sports becoming their 1st high school athlete. This means they are going to start shopping him and if people are willing to step up, you can have a seat at the table.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #293
Snapperhead94
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Good news for A&M and anybody else in the Nelson sweepstakes, he just signed with Klutch Sports becoming their 1st high school athlete. This means they are going to start shopping him and if people are willing to step up, you can have a seat at the table.
This should get interesting. No doubt that SC has the funds to pay Nelson as much as anyone else.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #294
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:

Dudes about to bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-18-2022, 11:05 AM   #295
Heath
Pope & Young

Quote:
This should get interesting. No doubt that SC has the funds to pay Nelson as much as anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Dudes about to bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My NIL guy says that he thinks this means he sticks with USC though. He said Klutch is based in LA and he thinks this just helps USC get the dollars in front of him that he needs to stick. Chad it right, dude is going to get paid.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #296
txbowman12
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Quote:
I have YTTV and it works fairly well for us. It goes unused for long periods of time, but we keep it, essentially, for college football and Aggie baseball.
They have a cool feature I used this year where you can suspend it by the month. Turned mine off after March Madness and just got the notification that it is back online. Saves a lot of $
txbowman12 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #297
Jake
Four Point

Fired up for some football, going to get a new big tv for the mobile home at the deer lease. Love that I can cast any game from my phone now and don't have to deal with satellite providers.

I love to watch Big 12 teams, I understand that is changing quick, but it is where most of my buddies went to school, so it makes the games more fun.

Hate to see OU and Texas leave, just like I hated to see the Ags leave, but I certainly understand why they left.

I think it is going to be really hard to coach 19 year old millionaires. I think coaches are going to lose their locker room more often moving forward. Coaches are set in their ways and have not ever had to deal with many of their players making as much as them. Money is a demotivator and a huge distraction, it should not be given in bulk to 19 year olds that are living without parents for the first time and testosterone levels over 1000.

My poor little Bears will try to go back to back as big 12 champs, that would be 4 of the last 9 years, if they can get it done. Our lines and linebackers are as good as anyone in the nation, just have to replace a lot of skill positions.. Time will tell.

Excited to see how Joey does at Tech, he is a great guy, I could see him as a Mack Brown CEO type coach. May take him a couple of years to get the right assistance, but would not bet against him.

Glad Houston is coming back, got a bunch of Coog buddies that I miss talking trash with. Got to give it to them, they are the second best athletic program in the state in reference to sports that matter.

Hope all the kids stay healthy and there are a lot of close games this year.
Jake is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #298
18ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Glad to hear the University left you some money for options on your football packages
I guess you got your son moved in Ok.
18ncs is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #299
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
I went with Fubo, only because I coudlnt get the Astros on YouTubeTV. Still get all my local channels and should be able to watch any college football game that I want to.
MarkV is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #300
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Quote:
My NIL guy says that he thinks this means he sticks with USC though. He said Klutch is based in LA and he thinks this just helps USC get the dollars in front of him that he needs to stick. Chad it right, dude is going to get paid.

I think he sticks to USC as well. But……Klutch also represents Kellen Mond.

Closed Thread