Mass Loaded Vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Loaded Vinyl

Has anyone ever used this for soundproofing a room & if so where did you get it from? I have doing quite a bit of research and it seems as though this stuff does work. I am currently building a new home and was thinking of adding this to the master bedroom (shift worker).

Installation seems easy but the videos I am seeing say the cost of this stuff is about $1 a sq/ft. The cheapest I can find it anywhere is $3 a sq/ft at Home Depot. Has it just gotten more expensive like everything else, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Any help is appreciated. Right now I am leaning to insulating the interior & exterior walls of the master bedroom, installing this MLV, and going with 5/8 drywall. All of this will just be in the master bedroom for a little extra soundproofing.

The most bang for your buck in my opinion is to insulate, install fiberboard and then sheetrock. Keep in mind all door frames in the affected area will need to be wider.

Comment

They sell a special drywall designed for office building and conference rooms. The drywall is like 2 pieces of 1/4” with a piece of gel deadner in between them. I used it ontop of my existing drywall in my master bedroom because the ac was outside the exterior wall. Problem solved. Pair it with a dense insulation and you will be good. Check out rock wool insulation. Also insulate the ceiling of that room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you really want to go extreme……..fill the wall bays with sand. 1/2 ply wood on both sides and drill 2” holes in the top and pour in the sand until the bay is filled.

Comment

When we would be involved in new home construction building theater rooms, we would specified denim insulation in the walls (and floor of it was a two story). We used two layers of sheet rock that fit very exact around all the boxes. Stagger the joints of the sheet rock. Mass loaded vinyl on the floors in a two story that fit exactly, and tape all the seams. That soundproofed it pretty much
          Last edited by Rubberdown; 08-16-2022, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I used it as sound deadening in my 2004 Ram Cummins. It weighs 1 lb per square foot. It worked very well in my truck, but for your home, I think only you can determine if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I'd lean toward insulation, as mentioned above.

Comment

If one was building new, the best method is two separate walls. That keeps the sound from transferring to the other wall and building materials. I have friends who day sleep for work and their best method has been ear plugs. I would be afraid I would sleep too long. Good luck with any sound proofing you try. Carpet on the floor, heavy drapes on the windows both help deaden the sound. We have no carpet anywhere and at times it is like an echo chamber with high ceilings. I don't care for carpet so that is one downside on the flooring.
              Last edited by txlawdog; 08-16-2022, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                They sell a special drywall designed for office building and conference rooms. The drywall is like 2 pieces of 1/4” with a piece of gel deadner in between them. I used it ontop of my existing drywall in my master bedroom because the ac was outside the exterior wall. Problem solved. Pair it with a dense insulation and you will be good. Check out rock wool insulation. Also insulate the ceiling of that room.

You can use this
                Gold Bond® SoundBreak XP dramatically reduces transmission between rooms or dwelling units, provides mold & mildew resistance and more. Get started here.

Or This
                PABCO® Gypsum offers more than ordinary drywall, as it provides DRYWALL THAT SURPASSES YOUR ANTICIPATIONS. It is a consistent and almost faultless product…

But both of those are hard to get ahold of, but if you go to a commercial supplier Like L&W Supply or Action Gypsum they should be able to get it for you. Look to pay around $2.00 to $2.50 per SF. You can buy mass loaded vinyl off of Amazon, but again pretty expensive. We use it in commercial applications and it works great. IMO I would do what txlawdog said and build a chase wall with a 1/4" gap in between the walls, and stuff both with Thermafiber type insulation, and use 5/8" sheetrock.

Comment

Instead of two walls you can do a 2x6 plate and stagger 2x4 studs on each side so you have separation but really the fiberboard on each side with insulation will work and I really believe it will be more economical.

Comment

Working...
                  X