Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default Video- RACCOON PROBLEM! How to Put a Stop Raccoons to Emptying your Feeder

It seems that Raccoons hit our feeders extra hard during these drought years. With corn prices sky high that gets expensive fast when coons are prematurely emptying feeders way ahead of schedule. My trail cams have been sending pics of up up to 7 raccoons at one feeder and numerous more coons at others. I headed up this past weekend to fill all my feeders and also to trap as many raccoons as possible. I ended up catching 15 in 3 nights. Several on video.

I have a youtube outdoors channel (J. Slot Outdoors) and thought that taking the time to make a video for guys with the same problem could be beneficial for them. I just now posted a HOW TO VIDEO for CATCHING RACCOONS with Dukes DP Traps.

Links of where to purchase traps and more info is in the description section of the youtube video. If you like the video and want to see more outdoors content then hit the subscribe button. Here's the video. Hope this helps someone out. I'm sure the PETA folks will love it.

https://youtu.be/UcPrVuSOVSw

Last edited by Rambow; 08-01-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
Deerguy
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

I'm about to put some traps out myself. Good job on the video, especially not killing the coons on camera and letting the fox go.
Deerguy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Cue Smart😂
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
I'm about to put some traps out myself. Good job on the video, especially not killing the coons on camera and letting the fox go.

Thank you Deerguy!
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Voodoo
Ten Point
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: Highway Medians
Default

Xylitol and pancake syrup, I like my waffles extra sweet.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #6
tward1604
Eight Point
 
tward1604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: wherever I can
Default

I'm ordering some traps this weekend. I have 17 coons at my feeder every night right now. Those turds are eating corn 24 hours a day.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #7
Voodoo
Ten Point
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: Highway Medians
Default

Very good video Sir !
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
kurt68
Ten Point
 
kurt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Waller County, Rocksprings and "H"
Default

Nice video man! I second what Deerguy said.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Thanks for sharing!!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #10
Avid Hunter
Eight Point
 
Avid Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kilgore
Hunt In: Ozona, Kilgore, San Angelo
Default

Great video all around. I normally only put a few mellows inside, but maybe I need to quit being so stingy to increase the success rate!.. Thanks
Avid Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
I'm ordering some traps this weekend. I have 17 coons at my feeder every night right now. Those turds are eating corn 24 hours a day.
They get bad quickly! Good luck. This year's added fish oil seems to have increased my catch rate compared to past years and only using marshmallows. Might be coincidence or just more targets this year.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #12
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Xylitol and pancake syrup, I like my waffles extra sweet.
That should get it done for you. Just a little risky for me since my dog hangs out with me a in the woods.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Very good video Sir !
Thank you Voodoo
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #14
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt68 View Post
Nice video man! I second what Deerguy said.

Appreciate it Kurt!
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #15
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Awesome video thanks for sharing.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #16
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Thanks for sharing!!
You're welcome Shane. There was a little trial and error learning curve for me before I got more efficient at catching a lot of them. Figured maybe I could save someone else some time and frustration.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #17
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid Hunter View Post
Great video all around. I normally only put a few mellows inside, but maybe I need to quit being so stingy to increase the success rate!.. Thanks
Thanks David! I use to do the same, but mostly because they got too sticky in the bag carrying them around with me while setting traps in the heat. I finally wised up this year and keep them in a cooler in the ranger bed. Way easier to mess with now and i'm a little more generous in the traps nowadays.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #18
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Awesome video thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the compliment Pedernal! You're welcome.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #19
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Video- RACCOON PROBLEM! How to Put a Stop Raccoons to Emptying your Feeder

You fellas that are just now getting into this after Rambow’s video … please make sure you join the many of us who have been posting in our threads for 5 seasons keeping track of catching the corn thieves and turkey egg eaters in said coon cuffs. We’d loved to have your numbers added to the totals… 2022 thread is located below. ..

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=832903

2022 Coon Carnage Count Thread
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Last edited by Smart; 08-01-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #20
jfk47
Ten Point
 
jfk47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Menard and Jackson counties
Default

Gonna have to get me some of them. Got to get rid of my coon problem .
jfk47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #21
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You fellas that are just now getting into this after Rambow’s video … please make sure you join the many of us who have been posting in our threads for 5 seasons keeping track of catching the corn thieves and turkey egg eaters in said coon cuffs. We’d loved to have your numbers added to the totals… 2022 thread is located below. ..

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=832903

2022 Coon Carnage Count Thread
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thanks for the reminder Smart. Just entered mine into the thread.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #22
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

We’ve had good luck with Froot Loops, and they aren’t as sticky as marshmallows.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #23
HeyMikey
Pope & Young
 
HeyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern Brazoria County
Hunt In: Brazoria County
Default

I just bought some of these traps, to try and put a dent in the coon population around my hunting area. Thanks for the video.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
Thanks for the reminder Smart. Just entered mine into the thread.

Awesome! Don't forget about us in the future.

We are going down on the 20th hoping to collect on some corn thief feed bills..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Shudda thumped that fox though ....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #26
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk47 View Post
Gonna have to get me some of them. Got to get rid of my coon problem .

Good luck! They’ll pay for themselves in what you would’ve spent for replacing the stolen corn.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 05:03 PM   #27
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
We’ve had good luck with Froot Loops, and they aren’t as sticky as marshmallows.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tip! I might mix it up a little in the future.

I got to the point where I just keep the marshmallows in a cooler in the ranger bed while I’m out running traps. Seems like the sticky stuff in bottom of trap keeps the coins digging in their a good while.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #28
Voodoo
Ten Point
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: Highway Medians
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
That should get it done for you. Just a little risky for me since my dog hangs out with me a in the woods.

Better to be safe in this case. It will kill the heck outta k-9’s in the concentration I like my waffle syrup.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #29
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
I just bought some of these traps, to try and put a dent in the coon population around my hunting area. Thanks for the video.

You’re welcome Mike. Good luck getting after em! I’ll be watching for some carnage success on Smarts 2022 thread.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 05:32 PM   #30
manwitaplan
Pope & Young
 
manwitaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Thank you. That was a great video. Does everyone use a 22 to dispatch? What if you were trying to keep the noise down?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Thank you. That was a great video. Does everyone use a 22 to dispatch? What if you were trying to keep the noise down?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



22lr to the noggin' here all year. Don't trap during season at the feed pen I plan on hunting that weekend so a 22 is no big deal.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #32
Lincoln Hawk
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Thank you. That was a great video. Does everyone use a 22 to dispatch? What if you were trying to keep the noise down?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22 lr with subsonic hollow points (hard to find these days). I prefer iron sights on a 10/22.
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 06:50 PM   #33
gonehuntin
Ten Point
 
gonehuntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Turlington,Tx
Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano
Default

Good job on the coon control. I gets western real quick trying to let a fox out of those traps, been there once.
gonehuntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #34
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Thank you. That was a great video. Does everyone use a 22 to dispatch? What if you were trying to keep the noise down?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamo Whisper Pellet Gun @ .22 caliber is highly effective and quieter.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #35
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin View Post
Good job on the coon control. I gets western real quick trying to let a fox out of those traps, been there once.

Thanks Steve and you’re right about the fox. When I made the decision to set the video camera up I knew it would go one of two ways, but I figured why not. I knew it would make good viewing content either way it went .
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 07:53 PM   #36
dosrobles
Ten Point
 
dosrobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Austin
Hunt In: Bertram
Default

Serious question. My coons have no problem finding corn or protein. Why do y’all use stuff that gets sticky or stinky when you can just put corn or protein in the traps?
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #37
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default Video- RACCOON PROBLEM! How to Put a Stop Raccoons to Emptying your Feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosrobles View Post
Serious question. My coons have no problem finding corn or protein. Why do y’all use stuff that gets sticky or stinky when you can just put corn or protein in the traps?

I’m sure the corn works fine, but raccoons just have a weakness for sweets. So the sweets are just the next level up as far as appealing to their senses.
As far as the sticky- there are times when i was l learning back in the past (experimenting with baits) when we would come back and see an empty trap with no bait at all left in it and the trap is still set. If using something sticky it seems that it increases the odds. I think of it like them getting all the icing off the sides of Moms cake icing bowl after she’s done decorating the cake with it the bulk of it. They just tend to keep scooping for more if they haven’t set the trigger off yet with the main content.
It may be a little overkill but it’s producing extremely well.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosrobles View Post
Serious question. My coons have no problem finding corn or protein. Why do y’all use stuff that gets sticky or stinky when you can just put corn or protein in the traps?
I'll add to RamBows if you don't mind.....

We have caught 443(yes I keep tabs) since June of 2015 when we started with the dog proofs. I'd venture to say that 70% of those were caught with marshmallows in the spring, winter, and fall. They work very well and are consistent. I'm not sure if our coons have a weakness for sweets as that deep in the woods they have never really been exposed to sweets (except maybe cactus tunas) but the smell of the MMs sure makes them curious and want to stick their hand in there. If we can set them and the MMs won't melt we will use them....even if it is a mixture of protein/corn and a couple of small MMs. We all know they there for the protein and corn but that MM will get them to diggin around even with corn and protein on the ground.

During the hotter months we started avoiding the MM because they melt and create a mess plus, they attract ants. We were hardheaded at first but after a few years we stopped using them during the heat of the year. With 30+ traps it can be a real PITA on cleanup getting it out not to mention the ants. We will switch over to the protein or corn and they work pretty good if all the corn and protein is gone for the day. Sometimes during the work weekends you are working in the pen when the feeders go off due to time constraints and the deer don't come till later. The coons will eat off the ground if its there when we leave. Ours will usually avoid the traps if there is food available on the ground so we try to not be in there during feeding times if we can.. Corn and protein also let you set the traps as you visit each feedpen in the heat and it can be ready for action as soon as it gets dark. There is no need to make a coon trap run setting them if you can set them as you go. With our rocky arse lease roads, you save wear and tear where you can when setting at 5-8 pens. One thing I do like about corn and protein in the hot months, is you can check traps with a drive by and can leave set all weekend until they catch something or you want to take them down. That makes for a quick route before you go back to lease work.

We used to pull the marshmallows out each morning during the summer months and reset each night to avoid the mess.. We soon realized what a waste and PITA that was. Now its corn or protein in the hot months. Do what works for you though....this is what works for us...YMMV.. Sorry for the long winded response..

Last edited by Smart; 08-01-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #39
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I'll add to RamBows if you don't mind.....

We have caught 443(yes I keep tabs) since June of 2015 when we started with the dog proofs. I'd venture to say that 70% of those were caught with marshmallows in the spring, winter, and fall. They work very well and are consistent. I'm not sure if our coons have a weakness for sweets as that deep in the woods they have never really been exposed to sweets (except maybe cactus tunas) but the smell of the MMs sure makes them curious and want to stick their hand in there. If we can set them and the MMs won't melt we will use them....even if it is a mixture of protein/corn and a couple of small MMs. We all know they there for the protein and corn but that MM will get them to diggin around even with corn and protein on the ground.

During the hotter months we started avoiding the MM because they melt and create a mess plus, they attract ants. We were hardheaded at first but after a few years we stopped using them during the heat of the year. With 30+ traps it can be a real PITA on cleanup getting it out not to mention the ants. We will switch over to the protein or corn and they work pretty good if all the corn and protein is gone for the day. Sometimes during the work weekends you are working in the pen when the feeders go off due to time constraints and the deer don't come till later. The coons will eat off the ground if its there when we leave. Ours will usually avoid the traps if there is food available on the ground so we try to not be in there during feeding times if we can.. Corn and protein also let you set the traps as you visit each feedpen in the heat and it can be ready for action as soon as it gets dark. There is no need to make a coon trap run setting them if you can set them as you go. With our rocky arse lease roads, you save wear and tear where you can when setting at 5-8 pens. One thing I do like about corn and protein in the hot months, is you can check traps with a drive by and can leave set all weekend until they catch something or you want to take them down. That makes for a quick route before you go back to lease work.

We used to pull the marshmallows out each morning during the summer months and reset each night to avoid the mess.. We soon realized what a waste and PITA that was. Now its corn or protein in the hot months. Do what works for you though....this is what works for us...YMMV.. Sorry for the long winded response..


Good write up smart. That’s true about the cleanup. I will add My second best bait I’ve used and easy to clean out was Sweet Feed (in my case from TSC). I sorta forgot about it this summer since I’m usually not willing to spend $15 on a bag unless I’m chasing axis deer with my bow. If I have it around I’ll mix that in too.
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 09:40 PM   #40
Rambow
Ten Point
 
Rambow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery, Tx (Lake Conroe)
Hunt In: Blanco, Kendall, and Burnet Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Shudda thumped that fox though ....

I know it Smart. Guess I’m getting soft in my mid 40s now
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #41
Philip-TX
Ten Point
 
Philip-TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Cheapest brand dry cat food is what I use.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #42
dosrobles
Ten Point
 
dosrobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Austin
Hunt In: Bertram
Default

Smart and Ram, I appreciate it. I put a protein feeder out right after last deer season and have 6 traps set around it (5 if you don’t count the one I shot when the coon charged me). I have killed 40-50 coons in that time frame. Pass on the “sticky and stinky” stuff. We seem to do ok with out but I get it.

I’d have let the fox go too.
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 06:04 AM   #43
Louis
Ten Point
 
Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Can get the dukes dp traps on Amazon. Bought mine on there and can get free shipping with the Amazon prime. Usually one to two days shipping
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 06:52 AM   #44
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Video- RACCOON PROBLEM! How to Put a Stop Raccoons to Emptying your Feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosrobles View Post
Smart and Ram, I appreciate it. I put a protein feeder out right after last deer season and have 6 traps set around it (5 if you don’t count the one I shot when the coon charged me). I have killed 40-50 coons in that time frame. Pass on the “sticky and stinky” stuff. We seem to do ok with out but I get it.

I’d have let the fox go too.

Nice work! Sounds like our first two years! Crazy how many there can be on a piece of property. Did you add your totals for this year to our coon carnage post? You may have but just checking.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 07:30 AM   #45
dosrobles
Ten Point
 
dosrobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Austin
Hunt In: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Nice work! Sounds like our first two years! Crazy how many there can be on a piece of property. Did you add your totals for this year to our coon carnage post? You may have but just checking.
I have tried to keep up. I probably have half of those on the carnage list. Once I saw the list I have kept up fairly well.
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 07:41 AM   #46
stan v
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default

Amazon no got. Wonder if a feed store will have inventory?
stan v is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #47
texsdr
Eight Point
 
texsdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Midland, TX
Hunt In: Sanderson, TX
Default

Tip- The fish oil pills sold at the Dollar store are easy to handle and transport. Think of them as a UNIT DOSE capsule.
texsdr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosrobles View Post
I have tried to keep up. I probably have half of those on the carnage list. Once I saw the list I have kept up fairly well.

Cool! Keep on stackin' em up and adding them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stan v View Post
Amazon no got. Wonder if a feed store will have inventory?

Ours did and we bought our first three dogproof traps from a feed store and they were almost 3 times the price online. I like to support my local guys but not at that much difference in price. Now that was 2015 so they may have changed their markup but we bought another 30 online after seeing how effective they were......just keep that in mind.


Quote:
Originally Posted by texsdr View Post
Tip- The fish oil pills sold at the Dollar store are easy to handle and transport. Think of them as a UNIT DOSE capsule.

Although we don't use the fishoil due to the mess, that's a great idea. Might try it during tough times, just splitting it open on the ground by it to get them in closer. Might catch a few turkey egg eating skunks too...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #49
powderburner
Ten Point
 
powderburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SE Houston Friendswood
Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio
Default

That doe that walked up in the back ground of the video was cool
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #50
Statton48
Ten Point
 
Statton48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Longview
Hunt In: East Texas and Comanche
Default

Liked and subscribed….
Statton48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com