No announcement yet.

Buck Forage Oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice that they now have a sendero graze blend. May have to give this a try mixed with wheat. It has 2 oat varieties and triticale.
    Has this been out before now? Anyone tried it?
    Buck Forage Oats are the best food plot seed for white-tailed deer on the market, period.

Comment

So how much is a bag of race horse oats right now at the feed store? When you look find out how much is pure seed and then germination rate.

Otherwise you aren't adding anything to the discussion than your opinion based on nothing of tangible facts and looking really just to argue.

I also am looking for unbiased users that have used both kinds of oats in same field, same year and if they noticed a preference.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        You only need about 45% germination to break even. Less than that hogs will eat it.
        45% germination(16.00 a bag ) versus 90% germination(21.00 a bag). Those are the prices I paid last year at Lyssy and Eckel in Poth.

Where are you finding feed oats for 10.50 a bag?

Buck Forage oats are the top picture and the bottom picture is feed oats.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
          So how much is a bag of race horse oats right now at the feed store? When you look find out how much is pure seed and then germination rate.

Otherwise you aren't adding anything to the discussion than your opinion based on nothing of tangible facts and looking really just to argue.

I also am looking for unbiased users that have used both kinds of oats in same field, same year and if they noticed a preference.

I'm speaking from a realistic and experienced stand point. I lived and worked on a big farm down on 57 for about 15 years. We planted 480 acres of oats for cattle graze every year. Every other year we planted certified oats and kept enough field seed for the next year. Always got good stand. The realistic and practical side is that hunters are the most gullible consumers I've ever seen. Put a big buck picture on the bag and promote it and they will but it.

Comment

I'm speaking from a realistic and experienced stand point. I lived and worked on a big farm down on 57 for about 15 years. We planted 480 acres of oats for cattle graze every year. Every other year we planted certified oats and kept enough field seed for the next year. Always got good stand. The realistic and practical side is that hunters are the most gullible consumers I've ever seen. Put a big buck picture on the bag and promote it and they will but it.
            The smaller bagged stuff yes, complete rip off. However buck forage oats are genetically bred for highest palatability and protein for deer as well as higher sugar content vs regular feed and seed oats. There is science behind that one

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post

I planted it in Wise County one year and the deer loved it. Small plot about 1/2 acre. The next year I planted the plot 1/2 cheaper oats from the local feed store and half Buck Forage. The deer literally walked across the other to eat BF. They most definitely prefer it but I haven't planted the last few years due to availability.

Comment

You may be right but you remind me of my Dad. Sure those cheap oats will grow but you make claims as facts without any real trial. You just go the cheapest route and justify it but without any facts.

Now if you planted the cheap stuff and buck forage oats together like other posters in here then your opinion would mean more. They have had better results with BFO.

15 years of doing the same thing over and over doesn't mean you are doing the best thing. Just the thing that you are comfortable with and is cheapest.

My Dad has 70 years of farming and ranching but he is frugal, cheap, and doesn't research anything. He has some GREAT ideas or ways on some things, other things he could do a little better if willing to try new things or research stuff. Sometimes, a lot of times you get what you pay for and sometimes quality is important, sometimes it isn't.

Sure, the hunting market is full of crap on a lot of products and its good to be skeptical but occasionally there is real science behind something. $30 bucks a bag seems worth trying it out to me if potential chance of giving me a leg up on my neighbors.

Comment

Plant whatever you feel good about.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Deer eat the heck out of them, but I could never see them as any better than wheat. Good price though if they are this year’s oats.
                    I looked for the date on the tag today. It was this years Oats tested May 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      Yes sir, I always mix in Daikon radish with my forage oats as well. Lot of guys used to tell me feed oats was the way to go but they dont handle cold real well.
                      mixed with radish,chicory and clover makes a pretty good plot,especially if fertilized. very cold tolerant

Comment

Would like to try them, but dang at $75 for 50 lbs, that is some more expensive.

I can buy 3 bags of TAMU606, Walken or Bob Oats for that. With the drought and $75 a bag, that is a big risk for me. May try one bag and plant in a totally seperate area to see if there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                          Would like to try them, but dang at $75 for 50 lbs, that is some more expensive.

I can buy 3 bags of TAMU606, Walken or Bob Oats for that. With the drought and $75 a bag, that is a big risk for me. May try one bag and plant in a totally seperate area to see if there is a difference.

You can pick them up for $30 dollars a bag in Simonton where they are located. The address is at bottom of website. You can also order them for pickup at 60% off at TTHA Extravaganza. You don't need a TTHA ticket, they will simply have a truck or trailer in parking lot for people to pick up their order. That was what I was originally going to do until it was suggested I could just go to Simonton and pick up bags there.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on discount
                            Last edited by wellingtontx; 07-21-2022, 09:54 PM.

Comment

We plant about a 12 acre field in oats every year. We have the oats and fertilizer mixed together and loaded in seed/fertilizer buggy. The feed store lets there customers borrow them to spread see. Heck with messing with 50lb sacks.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                We plant about a 12 acre field in oats every year. We have the oats and fertilizer mixed together and loaded in seed/fertilizer buggy. The feed store lets there customers borrow them to spread see. Heck with messing with 50lb sacks.
                                You drilling them or broadcasting them with that set-up ?

What seeding rate are you using ?

Comment

Working...
                                X