Chiggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    Scratch infected area until it bleeds. Douse with rubbing alcohol. Feel the burn but the itch will be gone.

This is what I’ve been doing. The burn is better than the itch

Comment

Red bugs sounds cooler

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
        Once the welp pops up the chigger is gone. All your doing is trying to sooth the itch. You aren't killing anything. Wipe the area with rubbing alcohol and take a benadryl for the itching.
        This is what I understand as well. Once you feel the itch its too late and the chigger is long gone.
        x2 on the treatment

Comment

Epsom salt bath soak has always been the overall best relief for me then dry off and use caladryl lotion (pink stuff) multiple times a day.

Since it wasn't explicitly stated, chiggers don't embed. They aren't under your skin. Nail polish or anything else doesn't suffocate or kill. Again, there isn't a bug in there. They bite and inject an enzyme to dissolve skin. The quicker you get them off and clean out the bite area, the less intense it will be.

As for prevention, buy a bottle of permethrin and make your own spray bottle according to dilution instructions. Spray your clothes and let them dry out. Before I go in the field, I spray my boots/shoes and my pants legs from the waste down. I rarely, if ever, get a chigger bite this way even in the worst part of the season. I've had 50+ bite "sessions of stupidity". Never again with permethrin.

Comment

Scratch the ever living heck out of the bite till it bleeds profusely then bandage yourself up. Easier in the long run than dealing with the itching. Or just take a benadryl.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Scratch infected area until it bleeds. Douse with rubbing alcohol. Feel the burn but the itch will be gone.
              This has always worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                This has always worked for me.
                same here,

and you know why the chigger goes in head first?

to get his but scratched!

Comment

Chiggers are a coon hunter's nightmare. We used sulphur dust way back when nobody had ever heard of permethrins and then we had a thing called a chigger stick with a felt tip that you just dobbed on the bite site. Once back home an hot bath and Ivory dishwashing soap to get rid of any stragglers. Campho phenique on the ones that continued to itch. Growing up on a blackland farm I should have been immune to these devils spawn. Hoeing cotton, corn and peanuts was the worst time of year. Chiggers love a cotton patch or anywhere there is Johnson grass.

Comment

as a preventative..........later up with Gold Bond Powder. Seems to really help

Comment

we always took a bath in either strong bleach water or with Pine-Sol in it. Always got rid of them. You're going to itch no mater what for a little while.

And when you think of them, you'll itch again!

Comment

BTW, chiggers are one of the fastest crawling insects out there especially for their size. They can move from the bottom of your feet to your sack in less than a minute and lays its eggs along the way in moist areas and cracks and folds of the skin. The eggs hatch almost immediately and the larvae do the biting and sucking. The butt crack and belt line burn is something I don't miss at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                          Scratch the ever living heck out of the bite till it bleeds profusely then bandage yourself up. Easier in the long run than dealing with the itching. Or just take a benadryl.
                          X2- take your fanger nail, dig it down to the bone and rip that sumbuck right outta there

Then it may heal in 4-5 months

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                              We always put a cup of bleach in the bathwater. I've since heard that they just bite and move, versus the way I was taught as a kid, that they inbed in your skin. I'm not sure which is true, but they suck (no pun intended) either way.
                              x2
                              or a cup of pinesol

Comment

Back in the days, Cabela's had a product called "Chigga Please" but they removed it from shells because sensitive people complained.

That stuff worked really well, I can't even find it when I search for it. I wonder if the same product is being sold under a new / different name now?

Comment

Working...
                                X