No announcement yet.

Diagnose Dads buggy issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like it could be a number of things. Similar thing happened on my Honda and it was the stater...not a spelling error for starter. YouTube has videos on how to test it. If you're getting fuel, but not continuous fire, I'd check there since you've tried new plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Take a fuel sample in a glass jar from the fuel pump.
      How would you test it when it's in a jar to see if it's bad? Color?

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
        How would you test it when it's in a jar to see if it's bad? Color?

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk
        Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it separates or pollutes settle to the bottom.

Comment

Water in the gas or old gas, Polaris really likes a high Reid Vapor Pressure. Drain the tank and fill with known fresh gas.

Comment

Try it with the gas cap off.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              When I disconnect the gas line on top of tank the pump shoots gas up pretty high when key is turned. Has more pressure than I thought it should have LOL But I have no idea how much it should have.

I'll check battery but it's only a few months old plus we just charged it to full.

Will check spark next.. After it cools down a little.
              I think like 38-45psi or somewhere in there. Higher than a standard 12v parts store fuel pump.

And agree fuel pumps are notorious. Sometimes they just go out and sometimes they start loosing pressure and make them act like they are running out of fuel.

Comment

Did your brother put gas in it or diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                  Fuel pumps are notorious on those for going out. If it doesn't have sufficient pressure, it will never fire.
                  My first thought. Just because it’s squirting don’t mean ****e. Hold your finger over the hose.

Comment

Alcohol poisoning. Fuel filter is probably clogged with rubber hose particulants.

Comment

How long has this thing been sitting? What is the longest it has sat for, in the past year? What fuel is used in it?

As for the fuel pressure, the only way to really know, is to connect a fuel pressure gauge inline and check it. Just because you get fuel out of a open hose, does not mean it has enough fuel pressure. But it does sound like the pump is probably good. Like someone else said, draining all of the fuel into a clear container and then look at the fuel. Most fuel now days, will have some degree of yellow tint to it, but that actually means the fuel is going bad, or is bad. The more yellow, the more bad the fuel is. Very fresh fuel, will be nearly clear. If you have water in the fuel, and you let it sit for an hour or more, the two will separate, the water will be on the bottom and will be cloudy. Once the fuel and water have fully separated you will be able to see a definite line between the two.

The reason for asking about what type of fuel you run, is if you are still running fuel with ethanol and letting it sit for more than a month, that stuff can cause all types of problems. Also on the how long has it sat for, some fuels will jell up, if that happens, it can plug up injectors, can lock up and or damage fuel pumps, plug up fuel filters, ECT. Also if you are using fuel with ethanol of any amount in it, then the vehicle that fuel is in, sits long enough that the fuel evaporates. Any rubber fuel system parts can and quite often do, crack or split. Which is bad for fuel pressure regulators, hoses, and other rubber fuel system parts.

There are multiple problems that could be causing the situation you are dealing with, but the fuel problems may be the easiest to diagnose and fix. I don't know anything about that UTV, but someone said they have a MAP sensor, if so, it has to have a good vacuum signal, no cracked hose, or cut hose from the engine to MAP sensor. If the sensor is not directly plugged into the intake manifold, for it's vacuum source.
                      A MAP sensor, not having a good vacuum signal from the engine, could cause the problems you are having. If I had to guess, I would be you have some problem that is a result of the fuel that has been put in the UTV, or something other than fuel in the tank.

If it were mine, I would always make sure it only gets ethanol free fuel, no matter what it costs. Ethanol free fuel is a lot cheaper than having to fix a bunch of damage done by fuel with ethanol in it. My mother's husband kills every small engine around their place inside of two years, because he refuses to buy ethanol free fuel. He only buys the cheapest fuel, that is closest to their house. So every two years, they have to replace, or he chooses to replace, their lawn mower, tiller, chain saw, weed eater, ECT. Because he refuses to drive a little farther and pay a little more for ethanol free fuel.

In cars and trucks that are driven daily or near daily and the fuel does not sit in the vehicle long, ethanol fuel is not that big of a deal, still not as good as ethanol free fuel, but for the most part you won't have many problems, because of the ethanol. But if it's a vehicle that sits a lot more than it's used and the same fuel stays in the vehicle for months, you don't want to use any fuel with ethanol in them.

Comment

Voltage Regulator, my 570 did the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Redlabels View Post
                          Voltage Regulator, my 570 did the same thing

How do you test? Cost? Easy to replace?

Comment

Sounds like same issue I had and ended up being the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Comment

Check the oil level. Sounds crazy but took me a week to figure this out on mine last year

Comment

Run only ethanol free gas in it when you do get it back running.

Comment

Working...
                                X