• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Texas Drought approaching 2011 levels

Drovers Link: Texas Drought Approaching 2011’s Historic Levels

The graphic is pretty telling.

By GREG HENDERSON June 29, 2022
    More than 45% of the contiguous US is currently in drought, with many parts of the southwest experiencing severe, extreme or exceptional drought. And no state has it worse than Texas.

Officials say 2022 is already one for the record books in Texas, with more than 80% of the state facing drought conditions most of the year. Comparisons are already being made to the drought of 2011, with some believing this year could eclipse 2011 as the state’s worst.

About 17% of all land in Texas is experiencing “exceptional” drought, the highest such figure for late June since 2011. That year, over 70% of the state’s land experienced “exceptional” drought in late June.

The driest year on record for Texas was 2011, causing an estimated $7.62 billion in crop and livestock losses.

New data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration shows there is a reason for Texans to be concerned about the weather this year: Last month tied for the warmest May on record in the state, along with May 2018. The early heat was followed by more drought.

The wide-spread drought in West Texas has already surpassed some 2011 records. Midland, Tex., had its driest period on record from September 2021 to May 31, when it received only 8% of its normal rainfall. The second driest was in 2011.

In the same time period, Lubbock experienced its seventh-driest time on record overall, but the driest since 2011. Lubbock also had six days reach 100 degrees or higher from March through May — tying for the third-highest number of 100-degree days in those months in Lubbock’s records, going back to 1914.

Texas can expect more of the same in the season ahead, the lead meteorologist for the state’s principal grid-management agency reported on June 21, the first day of summer.

It’s “close to a lock” that Summer 2022 in Texas will be hotter than last year’s summer, the forecaster, Chris Coleman, told ERCOT’s board. In the immediate prelude to the just-starting summer, May 2022 was hotter in Texas than May 2011, Coleman added.
    Attached Files

This summer has had a "2011" feel to it for a while now

Comment

Yes, it has.

Comment

This drought is bad. Hill Country rivers/creeks are the lowest I have seen since 2011. Some already being deemed unsafe to swim due to bacteria in the water.

Comment

We're definitely in bad shape. Thank the Lord we got some decent rains here this week. 2.5" and the ground was hard again in two days. Soaked it up quick. I decided to hold off on selling a big chunk of cattle today in hopes that it greeens up a little and buys me a little more time to get some age on these calves.

Comment

2011 was rough on a lot of folks and this is setting up to be just as bad or worse.

Comment

We’ve been due for a while now. Already took our calves to the sale barn. Broke even on them.

Comment

Getting bad. Luckily our stock tanks are full and we bailed enough hay last year for this year as well. We have cut hay twice this year so we have a good start for next year too.

Comment

It doesn't help that last summer was the wettest and coolest summer I've felt in Houston since I moved here.

Comment

In 2011 that wreaked havoc on the hardwood timber in east texas and made them susceptible to disease in the years after. We lost a ton of mature oaks n 2013-14 because of it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stay ahead of that with the trees around my house with mineral or fertilizer supplements?

Comment

Our little stock tank in the front of our place is getting very shallow here in Huntsville. Down 2-3 ft already and i can easily wade across it. Its only 3 ft deep in the middle currently. We bought this place in 2020 so this is our first bad summer on it given how nice last year was.

Our hay guy bailed on us (no pun intended) due to fuel prices. So we are left with buying hay for the horses. The standing grass isn’t lasting long. Luckily, our steers are due for slaughter next month and one of the horses is going to Elite Auctions in Navasota next month as well.

Might look at getting a few steers next spring if the drought brings prices down a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s as bad as I could ever imagine at my place near Sonora!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hay gonna be high dollar this year, I might get one cuttin off my field and it won't amount to much. I hate this type of weather cause it brings on bad flooding later on.

I got a bumper crop of Mustang grapes that are right sweet but they dry out on the vines real quick. Got more Mesquite beans than normal this year too. Not one of my food plots sprouted either, 500.00 in seed wasted.

Comment

Radar - I've seen most hay running $80-$120 per round ($200 / ton avg.)

I've been fortunate that I have some good grass right now and can hold off selling my calves until next week. It is the cows and remaining grass that has me worried.

Comment

I'm a believer in the old timers I heard at a country cafe once. They mentioned 7 years rain then 7 years drought. That saying seems to be more accurate than meteorologists.

Comment

Working...
                              X