Texas Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
    They are bugling in September, same as everywhere else.

West Texas has some big elk….they don’t get near the attention as they do in other states and it’s one of the best kept secrets. I know guys who have killed 390” bulls around Alpine

They have some bigger than that. Ask me how I know. 429”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have shot 3 nice ones in Wtx over the years. Avatar is one. I will tell you that on the big ranches with low pressure if you can bugle you will get a half dozen bulls talking pretty quick all through October. It is fun...good luck

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        They are bugling in September, same as everywhere else.

West Texas has some big elk….they don’t get near the attention as they do in other states and it’s one of the best kept secrets. I know guys who have killed 390” bulls around Alpine

Partly because it’s very expensive $$ to hunt them in west texas if you can find a place to do it
        I looked into taking a customer a couple years ago, my budget wasn’t even close.
        It’s on my bucket list though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          Partly because it’s very expensive $$ to hunt them in west texas if you can find a place to do it
          I looked into taking a customer a couple years ago, my budget wasn’t even close.
          It’s on my bucket list though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          It can be more expensive but when you factor in the cost of a September rut rifle hunt in New Mexico you are getting about the same deal for probably a bigger bull.

Another reason for lack of pressure is that B&C does not recognize Texas elk

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
            Hi, my name is Grant and you are in luck because i am looking for a friend. Want to be friends?
            People acting like this is tinder! LOL

Comment

Doesn't B&C recognize Texas elk that are not high fence? I believe they do score them if not a high fence take.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                Doesn't B&C recognize Texas elk that are not high fence? I believe they do score them if not a high fence take.
                Unless it changed just recently they do not recognize Texas elk.

Comment

My buddy was out there the 3rd week of september last year and killed one that went 379. The other guy with him killed one that was close to that. He said there were bugling then

Comment

I am going to West Texas to hunt elk first week of October. That is the week the guy that owns the ranch recommended.

Comment

No they don't. Elk or not a game animal in Texas therefore no B&C.

Comment

I was given the opportunity to go hunt a friend's place last year outside of Alpine the last week of September. By far the most incredible archery hunt I've ever been on. My friend had shot a 360"s bull the week before and his brother had killed a 370" a couple days before that, all with archery gear coming in bugling. According to my friend they had slowed down by the time I made it there but we called in a 320" bull to 6 steps the first morning but was on the other side of a cedar tree.

The bull I ended up killing we called into 12 yards and it was bugling it's head off. I was drawn for almost two minutes and when I went to make a move it spooked but cow called and stopped it at 22 yards and I put an arrow thru the boiler room and he only made it about 30-40 yards. He was busted up but still scored 339" and change. Would've been a 350"+ bull intact. Had one of his eyes gouged from fighting and scars all over his face and neck.

All this to say that in that area, just outside of Alpine, they always seemed to do the best mid September to the first of October. They had killed 3 bulls over 400" and 7-8 that were 350"+ in 5-6 years.

It definitely got me hooked and I'm jealous of that opportunity.

Comment

When those big boys come north across the state line they qualify. Some monsters down there.

Comment

Humm, they recognize Wyoming bison and they are wildlife or livestock in Wyoming, not game animals.

Anyway, that is a shame if true.

Comment

I made some calls to book a Texas elk hunt and the going rate was >$15K. Colorado was much cheaper. Now, if I had a friend who owned a 45K acre ranch, that would be cool!

Comment

Congrats on the opportunity. Good luck this fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X