Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic African Hunting Trip With the Family! Lots of Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic African Hunting Trip With the Family! Lots of Pics!

We got my Dad a safari for Christmas. My wife, kids and I tagged along and just got home from a 10 day trip with Bosveld Jacobs Safaris.
    First class accommodations.

Great food, made fresh daily from the previous day’s kill.

The amount of game was incredible, while hunting one ranch we saw over 100 wart hogs one day before lunch!
    Our 2 Professional Hunters, Jacques and Drian were amazing as well, their ability to spot animals was unbelievable!

Day one, we checked zeros on the rifles, 2, 30-06s and 2, 7-08s. Afterward, we went on a hunt near the lodge and after a 1 hour stalk my daughter drew first blood.

The next day, my son and my Dad went with one PH and my wife, daughter and I went with another to separate ranches. We were hunting in the Waterburg Mountains in Limpopo province, elevation 4-6000 ft. The views were breathtaking.

I have several more landscape pics but they don’t come close to capturing the magnificence of a 2 mile view of a valley surrounded by mountains with 100 plus animals of different species spread out in 6 ft high grass.
    That day my daughter killed a nice warthog.

My son killed a zebra that morning after a hands and knees approach around a herd of wildebeest to get within range.

That afternoon he got a wildebeest from another herd that wasn’t shell shocked.

The next day, I got a warthog and so did Dad.

The next morning I killed a 56 inch Kudu with my wife and daughter watching from the truck!

That afternoon my daughter shot an impala and hit it low & back. This little terrier mix bayed it and held it for the kill shot.
    We hunted hard the following day, saw lots of animals ( my wife was after a sable) but none were mature enough. This old dugga boy came in the yard that night and my wife snapped this pic with her phone, from our balcony. No artificial light on our side!

The next day we went in search of sable again. Our PH, Jacques, spotted a big bull with several cows about 1/2 mile away. He, my wife and I, stalked through the high grass and were busted by a group of 5 zebras. They ran close enough to put the sable on edge so we sat down in the high grass for about 30 minutes to allow them to calm down. Then we slipped to 126 yards where she dropped him with a perfect shoulder shot!

On a different ranch the same day my Dad killed a huge 44 inch bull! The single most expensive hunting day of my life and I didn’t even pull a trigger! [emoji1787]

The next day I went with Dad and my son hunting for a Kudu bull. We saw several big ones but none were mature. While walking to a glassing spot in a mountain pass, our PH Drian spotted a huge warthog and said “someone needs to shoot him!” I killed him at 20 yards. Check out those cutters!

Later, in the thick brush Dad got a beautiful 51 inch kudu bull. Drian spotted him in the thick brush and after a short stalk, got Dad on the sticks. He asked, “can you see the shoulder?” Dad answered, “I can see just behind it, boom”. The kudu fell, got up, started wobbling away and Dad finished him with another shot.

The next day my wife was trying to get a warthog. Jacques spotted a group of them literally 2 miles away while glassing. We started the stalk and managed to avoid spooking a group of kudu and a few reedbuck but we had a major obstacle. A herd of about 50 impala was about 100 yards closer to us than the warthogs. While trying to avoid them our PH almost stepped on this foot long puff adder.

Then with the wind in our faces and the sun at our backs, somehow the impala spotted us, blew and set all the animals within 1000 yards running, including the warthogs. We had closed to within 489 yards from 2 miles away. Disappointing but a fun stalk.

The next day we made a stalk in the high grass and she dropped this sow where she stood at 80 yards.

The next day, I went with Dad Gemsbok hunting while my wife and kids went to another ranch. Dad and I had several close calls but weren’t able to close the deal. The wife and kids did much better.

The last day, Dad and I were after gemsbok again. Drian found a small group early, we put a stalk on them and Dad made the shot count at about 90 yards with his BAR.

With the 7-08 we used 120 grain Barnes TTSX. Dad used 150 grain Cor Lokt in his BAR 30-06 and my son used 180 grain Barnes TTSX in his Ruger 30-06.

I did a successful stalk on a group of bush pigs late one afternoon but there were no boars with the group of 5. I hunted at night for them but got winded 2 times. One of those times I thought the were coming in our brush blind with us. They were less than 10 yards away! After that encounter, the unshakable PH said “Well, that was intense!”

We saw over 30 different species while hunting from tiny duikers and klipspringers to humongous giraffes and hippos.

The campfire every night was a special occasion for reliving the days hunts, and laughing with the PHs and the family. They even cooked tender loin from our kills on the coals almost every night.

The sky was beautiful every evening.

I am blessed beyond measure to have shared this time with my favorite people in the world!

Bosveld Jacobs is a first class operation and I’d highly recommend them to anyone planning an African trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow awesome animals and write up! Congrats to all. Looks like some great memories were made!

Comment

Questions.
      1. Why are you not wearing masks on the plane? JKing of course
      2. What kind of wood do they burn to cook the meat over?

Comment

What an adventure, and you told it well ! Those roan antelope are beautiful animals, and the zebras and kudus are as well. Nothing could beat a family trip, you can see the joy on everyone’s faces.

Comment

What an awesome trip and experience. Congrats to yall.

Comment

Got our first trip planned. Absolutely can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Questions.
              1. Why are you not wearing masks on the plane? JKing of course
              2. What kind of wood do they burn to cook the meat over?
              Not sure about the wood.

Comment

What an awesome looking trip! Congrats on the great time spent with the family and incredible animals to boot.

Comment

Solid!

Comment

That was awesome. Thanks for taking us along!

Comment

That is nice

Comment

Really nice adventure. Start saving to go back.

Comment

Phenomenal trip and one everyone will remember for a lifetime. Congrats to you and your family!

Comment

Looks like an awesome trip and fabulous pictures. Nothing like hunting with the family. Congrats!

Comment

Incredible picture. What a great family trip. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X