No announcement yet.

Truck Q - Which would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a serious note....my son is a Junior and last year we bought him a 14' Silverado. Has just over 100k on it now. Is it gonna be as reliable as a new vehicle? No, its not. But it was available at the time and in our wheelhouse both pricewise and in-line with what he wanted. God willing its gonna see him thru college as that was the intention when we bought it.

with todays inventory issues you have to factor in the bird in the hand convenience of the Silverado vs. a maybe on the maverick with a super long wait time, and all the unknowns that come along with a truck like that.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      Silverado all the way.....gonna be hard for him to pick up girls in a Ford Maverick
      Not as hard as it is in a broke down Chevy. Lol

Although the check engine light does give off a romantic glow!

Comment

If He likes girls, go with The real truck

Comment

Trade in value is not something that anyone can predict. For example, who could have predicted in 2018 that you could buy a new truck, then sell it 4 years later for what you paid for it.

If gas prices stay high(fairly certain they will stay high for at least the next 2 1/2 years) then that full size truck trade in value is going to plummet. If you got him a hybrid Maverick, that is going to have good trade in value, if gas prices stay high.

Look at it from an older adult perspective too. Do you want materialistic girls chasing after him simply because of him driving a nice truck, or would you prefer him with a girl who isn’t materialistic? Quality over quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post

Look at it from an older adult perspective too. Do you want materialistic girls chasing after him simply because of him driving a nice truck, or would you prefer him with a girl who isn’t materialistic? Quality over quantity.

I think you’re over thinking this…[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I think you’re over thinking this…[emoji849]

Just a little bit I reckon.

Comment

Gee times have changed.
                I was told at high school age to buy what I could pay for and put gas in. If he needs some mechanical experience to carry him through life then used is the way to go. Great gesture on both your parts.

Comment

Just a little bit I reckon.
                  I think he’d prefer the plural version, girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    I think you’re right. Would either or both be 4WD, and would that matter to him? You may consider the number of people it will carry, and whether you’d rather have him and his buddies in his truck on road trips, or not.

Impossible for anyone else to say, I’d go with the full-size every time, but I’m a truck guy and use it for truck stuff.

Neither would be 4WD. Going into the conversation last night he said, what if I need to take corn or a trailer to the ranch and that was a factor in his thinking. But the reality is as long as I'm alive and my dad is alive he won't be doing either of those or if he does he would used one of our trucks. He just needs to show up and hunt.

Carrying people is a decision factor. If we were just talking about college I would say I want his buddies with him vs him riding. But he would drive this his whole senior year so I would rather him not be toting everyone around in that scenario.

I'm with you on the full size, I have trouble finding trucks now because I have to have the standard bed vs the short bed.

Silverado all the way.....gonna be hard for him to pick up girls in a Ford Maverick
                    Hah, I have thought about this as well. I'm sure he has but hasn't mentioned it.

I'm really leaning towards letting him pick with giving him all of the pros and cons I know of and the fact that this is his last vehicle from me and he knows how much I have to spend....

with todays inventory issues you have to factor in the bird in the hand convenience of the Silverado vs. a maybe on the maverick with a super long wait time, and all the unknowns that come along with a truck like that.
                    This is weighing heavy on me as well. I can say all day long lets get a Maverick but if we are 18 months out from that being a reality it doesn't mean squat.

Comment

And thanks for all of the replies. I can't say we are any closer to a decision but the replies have helped.

Comment

He’s already picked.[emoji6]

Comment

I would keep driving the jeep

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                            I would keep driving the jeep
                            Ha, well if he stops driving the jeep I would get it back until my youngest turns 16. I originally bought it as a second vehicle to hunt in and fart around town in when the weather was nice. There have been several times when I wish I had it back to ride around in... I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Comment

If you don't mind him driving around with one headlight. New vs used?

Comment

I bet going to A&M the truck will be the choice... or maybe a Ford Ranger... lol

I have a 2015 GMC with 215k on it knock on wood nothing major yet.. and MPG still 19-21.. I have 1 graduated college and had a dakota and liked the truck but he wanted a Honda Civic sport HB... he's had it 3 years and never looked back and kikes the cheap fill ups and high MPG. The other some has a 01 F250 PSD (we recently got it back from being stolen and its parked at my house) but we bought him a used Honda accord sport 4 door. He loves the car and its MPG... BUT misses his truck and its funny when he realizes his car note and his cars fuel per month is cheaper then operating that F250 a month!

If he's going into college paying for stuff himself I'd say get something with better Mpg...I'd probably lean away from the Maverick but if that what he likes so be it. IF he's still on the food bill at home, get him something he likes and will enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                X