Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #201
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Figured I would bump this back up since Iím gonna get up with a friend of mine in about 2 weeks that is saddle hunting. If I get into this, Iím looking at the one stick method being Iím planning on hunting Kansas again but on public land. Places I plan on hunting requires a long walk in, so lighter the better.
But one question I have right now, can you use this set up on a tree that has limbs along the way up?
Absolutely. When you get to limbs you need to go above you simply hook up your linemens belt and move your tether above the limb and proceed climbing .
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #202
Low Fence
Pope & Young

My complete system is scheduled to be in tomorrow. I have most of the components. Just needed platform and saddle with pouches. Looking forward to testing it out!
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 11:39 AM   #203
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Packing sticks is only process I’m still unsure of. Have several ideas, but it’s my head scratcher

1 stick ain’t worth it to me. It’s over complicated a very simple process for little weight savings (in my situation)
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #204
Blitz
Six Point

Quote:
Figured I would bump this back up since Iím gonna get up with a friend of mine in about 2 weeks that is saddle hunting. If I get into this, Iím looking at the one stick method being Iím planning on hunting Kansas again but on public land. Places I plan on hunting requires a long walk in, so lighter the better.
But one question I have right now, can you use this set up on a tree that has limbs along the way up?
Absolutely

As you climb, when you come to your 1st limb to get past, that is when you will use your linemans rope. Clip that around the tree so your still attached to the tree. Now you can safely undo your tether and place it up the limb and continue to climb. Just repeat this step as many times as you need to based on the tree.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 12:50 PM   #205
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Packing sticks is only process Iím still unsure of. Have several ideas, but itís my head scratcher

1 stick ainít worth it to me. Itís over complicated a very simple process for little weight savings (in my situation)
I watched a video last week of a guy using the one stick method. He only moved up one time and was up at around 17 feet. Where I hunt in east Texas, 18 feet is about as high I can go due to the canopy.
Whereas in Kansas, I shot my biggest buck ever at 12 feet up, 4 other bucks that I killed were probably right at 10 feet up.
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #206
Blitz
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Packing sticks is only process Iím still unsure of. Have several ideas, but itís my head scratcher

1 stick ainít worth it to me. Itís over complicated a very simple process for little weight savings (in my situation)
The idea for 1-sticking is rappelling down tree when finished.

If your like me and you hunt until its very dark, being able to just zip down like batman is so nice.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #207
Blitz
Six Point

Quote:
I watched a video last week of a guy using the one stick method. He only moved up one time and was up at around 17 feet. Where I hunt in east Texas, 18 feet is about as high I can go due to the canopy.
Whereas in Kansas, I shot my biggest buck ever at 12 feet up, 4 other bucks that I killed were probably right at 10 feet up.
At first I was concerned about how quickly I got up the tree and how many moves it takes and so forth and so on.

Then I realized something. If I am worried about that, I am like that person who is waiting 10-15 minutes at Walmart for a closer parking spot when all they will be doing is walking around in Walmart.

I'm gonna be in that tree for several hours. An extra 10 minutes to climb isn't worthy of a conversation.