Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default Dcnf ?

So I find myself with a little bit of time and Iím thinking I might find my way to Davy Crockett. Been there 1 time for a few days in 1989. Any particular place to start or avoid? Iíll stop and get maps and have onX and a GPS. Itís a huge place just not sure where to go. Iíll probably have a pop up camper as well. Any advice would be appreciated
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Not really all that familiar with the DCNF, but my place is bordered on 3 sides by it. Gradually getting out to explore right around my place in late winter over the past 11 years.
You might start at the USFS office at Ratcliff. They have maps and info, as well as camping at Ratcliff Lake. From there you can go in any direction and be in the forest.
You could also go to Mission Tejas State Park and you are on the far NW edge of the forest, but still plenty to explore. There is a wilderness area near the Neches.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Can’t help you but in my opinion that’s the best place to kill a booner on public land but they don’t come easy.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Thank you ^^^^^ El Paisano
Will be stopping in Ratliff for sure
Old 11-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

My in laws have several places in ETX that I typically hunt a couple days a year. This year I’m thinking I might have a full week to explore new country
Old 11-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Sabine National Forest

Good luck
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Iím no pro but Iíve found more luck in overlooked spots more often than way back in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
flywise
Pope & Young

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 11-29-2021, 10:33 PM   #9
Pope
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman

I grew up in Lufkin and hunted it from 1990 to 2001. I moved to the DFW area in 1996 and after 5 years of driving back to hunt, I gave it up. It is hard hunting, really hard. In the 11 years I hunted it, I took 4 bucks and that was working for them.
A buddy of mine has been dying and finally did last Friday. We buried him today.
I spent this last week in Lufkin and scouted two days. I found hunters everywhere I went, but one. That was **** near a mile and a half in the forest as well. I found two good places out of walking the woods two days. The best one I could see someone has been hunting it and being that they put in the leg work, I back out. They were there first and Iím only visiting.
I went back to the other place I found and took a decent buck. If on my lease, heíd had walked. However, he was mature and I got him at 15 yards in a gilly suit. It was exciting.
Hereís what sucks. It took almost two hours to drag him out. I thought I was going to need to quarter him to get him out, but I wasnít walking out, driving to town, buying rope and walking back in there. I just dragged and rested, dragged and rested. Really was a tough go.
DNCF is gorgeous. It is my favorite. You will not see a lot of deer and you will see a lot of hunters. Like I said, I saw people everywhere, but one. I had one guy eyeing me with his rifle. I could see him as I walked out of a place I was scouting. He was not there when I went in, but was on my way out. I did not like looking up to see him watch me through a scope. I also found boot tracks all around my truck when I got back. Someone really was looking in the windows for something to steal.
There no cell service anywhere I went either. I hung two cameras and I will go back after the season is over to get them if they are not stolen. Probably will be.
It is special. Pileated woodpeckers call all day, leaves falling and wind sings through the trees. On the flip side, ticks are bad in the forest and deet stinks, so boots and careful steps are a must to avoid them.
Long story shorter, you better eat your wheaties and be ready for long sits. It is the hardest hunting Iíve done in a long time. I scouted two days solid and did three sits. I saw 7 deer. 6 does and the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:28 PM   #10
flywise
Pope & Young

I’m headed East tomorrow, not sure I’m hitting the forest this trip. My father in law advised me that a 300 acre part of the ranch was thinned out a few months ago and it’s now open enough to actually hunt. For 20 years it has been so think you could barely walk through it. I may give that area a try for a few days. If I don’t see anything special I’ll head into DCNF. I do need that public land test. I like difficult, makes any success feel like a trophy
Old 12-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Iím headed East tomorrow, not sure Iím hitting the forest this trip. My father in law advised me that a 300 acre part of the ranch was thinned out a few months ago and itís now open enough to actually hunt. For 20 years it has been so think you could barely walk through it. I may give that area a try for a few days. If I donít see anything special Iíll head into DCNF. I do need that public land test. I like difficult, makes any success feel like a trophy
Keep us updated on either route you take.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Keep us updated on either route you take.
I ended up just going to my father in laws place for a few days. Saw a couple really nice bucks but passed them hoping my son can get one of them next trip out there. It was so freakin warm this past week I just couldnít commit to hiking all over new country then sleeping in the tent. The pop up camper was going to be a bigger pain than I thought. I plan on going back in a few weeks and for sure before the end of the season. Hopefully it will finally get cold, I love hiking in the cold. Maybe muzzleloader season.
I really appreciate all the advice for the good folks of TBH.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #13
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Killed some of my best deer in DCNF and Alabama Creek area.

I always used climbers and hunted off of newly cut thinned areas when I could find them.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #14
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Flywise I normally take the first week off during ML season and am only two hours away if you get in a bind. Heck a good part of it I hunt out there if I can get away from the house.
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #15
Lights Out
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise County

Good luck
Lights Out is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #16
flywise
Pope & Young

Appreciate it gentlemen. If it will ever get cold I’m going to head back out there. I just can’t get motivated to even go to my lease when it’s this warm
Old 12-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #17
Thickman
Nubbin' Buck

Thickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top