Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde
Default What would you have done?

The wife and I went to a middle of the road seafood restaurant last night (name withheld on purpose), and ordered an app, entrees, and a couple of drinks. Now the app we ordered was a seafood cocktail with shrimp, lump crab, avocado, etc... and the entrees we ordered had a seafood cream sauce with lump crab topping. When the app arrived, it was decent but it did not have any crab meat. I asked the waitress and she said they were out of crab meat and couldn't add any. The manager stopped by the table at this point. Here is the conversation we had. Everything was very civil and polite on both ends.

Why I wasn't told when we ordered. - Waitress "I'm sorry, I didn't think you would mind"

Will our meals have the crab meat topping. - Manager "No, they will not"

We would like to change our order. - Manager "I'm sorry but the kitchen is already preparing your meals and it is too late to change them."

I would like a discount for each item that was supposed to have crab that will not have it - Manager "Unfortunately we cannot discount your meals per policy, but I can offer you $10 off your next visit coupon."

Can I use that coupon on this visit? - Manager "No, it can only be used after this visit"

Go ahead and keep the coupon, we will not be coming back.

My wife and I didn't want to cause a scene or deal with drama so we finished the meal, paid with tip, and left. I have had issues at restaurants before, but the managers usually make it right with comped items, etc... I have never had them basically say, "we screwed up and it is on you to deal with it". Has anything like this happened to you? How would you have handled the situation?
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
DedDuk
Six Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

I would have handled differently.
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
CJ776
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

same thing you did OP but no tip. They deserve to lose your business, but not worth getting totally bent out of shape on. Gotta just move on down the tracks
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
Hunting4fun
Ten Point

I probably would have just left without causing a scene before the main dish came out knowing it wasn't going to have the crab meat and knowing they expect you to pay full price on it.
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath, LaSalle

It was time to not be nice.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

My wife and I would have gotten up and left and paid nothing. You canít serve me what I prefer then change it. If not, no dinero amigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Jon Stewart
Six Point

I would have gotten up and walked out. Left funds on the table for any drinks.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #8
SabineHunter
Ten Point

well, that is some crappy service. I wouldn't have tipped because she knew this when you ordered. If I'm with my wife in public anywhere, I would not have made a scene. If it's just me, the manager would've been very uncomfortable when I was done with him. And, they both would know they wouldn't see me or anyone I could tell, anymore.

Last edited by SabineHunter; 07-30-2021 at 03:36 PM.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #9
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

" . I have had issues at restaurants before " And you went back again!!!!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
EWH
Four Point

Supply chain issue...with food and staff. This manager obviously doesn't have the authority to provide credit and mot trusted yet. Manage at a high level and tell people they can only do XYZ...cost saving model but not client friendly.
EWH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
Walker
Ten Point

I had a bad service experience at Crackerbarrel. We walked out before even ordering. My wife called corporate and they apologized and sent us a $50 gift card. Gave it away and never been back there. To me, bad service is a deal breaker.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Probably handled it as best you could. I understand restaurants and people working in them are just trying to make a living and it ****** me off when people treat them like they are personal servants. That said, I don't think they handled it correctly at all either. They won't last long if they keep that up.

Edit: No way insinuating that you treated them like your personal servants. You handled that situation well.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #13
ladrones
Pope & Young

Most would feel the need to be heard, glad you handled it with some class.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #14
Stick bow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Boling

First world problems
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
" . I have had issues at restaurants before " And you went back again!!!!!
This was the first bad experience at this restaurant. And yes I have gone back to other restaurants where I had a bad experience as long as they made it right. Stuff happens, but not making it right is why we will not go back to this particular place.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #16
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
Probably handled it as best you could. I understand restaurants and people working in them are just trying to make a living and it ****** me off when people treat them like they are personal servants. That said, I don't think they handled it correctly at all either. They won't last long if they keep that up.

Edit: No way insinuating that you treated them like your personal servants. You handled that situation well.
We feel the same way, which is why we still tipped. The tips are not only for the waiter, but the cooks, busboys, hostesses, etc...
Old 07-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #17
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I'm not in the restaurant biz but I would've comped your drinks at least lol. Every POS system has a spill tab
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #18
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Joe's Crab Shack?
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #19
thewalt
Four Point

You handled it very well, much better than most people these days. Classy folks are in short supply! The manager should have made right on the spot, no excuses.
thewalt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #20
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Too much other stuff in the world to get bent over to worry about no crab. I would of ate my crabless food, drank my drink, paid and never went back. If they can't comp atleast the appetizer then its a no go for me in the future. Crap happens, they were out of crab. Make it right for the customer and have business later instead of worrying about a few dollars lost now.
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #21
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I would have walked out.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #22
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
Too much other stuff in the world to get bent over to worry about no crab. I would of ate my crabless food, drank my drink, paid and never went back.
This exactly. I've had very few bad experiences at restaurants, real easy to please. There are about 3 on my list that I'll never step foot in again though.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #23
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

If I ordered something and it was not what I ordered they would not get paid period.

You owed them for drinks and not a dime more

Tip? I would not even have considered it
Just the "I didn't think you would mind" comment would have killed any tip

To
Insure
Proper
Service

Would not have made a scene but would not have paid either.

Next they will be bringing out a grilled burger patty and charging you for steak because they were out of steak
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #24
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

If I order a chicken sandwich and there is no chicken in it and the waitress says " I didn't think you would mind" I would leave and say I assume you won't mind, oh and feel free to eat the chickenless sandwich.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #25
Pilgrim
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
Same here. Pay for what I consumed and leave.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #26
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

You probably handled that the right way but I’m noted for handling things wrong, but then again I get results. The waitress did not earn a tip. I would have left her a penny with a note explaining why. The manager would have had an embarrassing experience with all the customers knowing exactly what a rip-off that place was and I would have demanded to speak to the owner. After that, I would have gone on line and left extremely bad reviews on every site I could find.
Then I would have taken my butt woopin from my wife for being such a jerk...but by golly I would have gotten satisfaction.
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #27
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

I saw a family eating at a Mexican food place , they ate there food, then found a dead roach in the appetizer, the dad called over the owner, the owner said he wouldn’t comp the meal
And instead had the waitress bring a new order out after they had already eaten
No doggie bags offered! I assume they will not return LOL
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #28
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
If I order a chicken sandwich and there is no chicken in it and the waitress says " I didn't think you would mind" I would leave and say I assume you won't mind, oh and feel free to eat the chickenless sandwich.
Ok, I told my wife this story and she laughed and said it would have been her getting up to leave and me telling her to just enjoy the meal and let it go. So now I am not sure. lol
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #29
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
Most would feel the need to be heard, glad you handled it with some class.
I agree. There's an entire thread on this website about people not wanting to work. The restaurant industry is hurting bad for people right now.

However, I do agree with the following -
1. Waitress should have said they were out of lump crab meat. The initial order might have changed because of that. If crab meat was in your favorite entre there, it also gives you the chance to leave without issue

2. Crab meat is not cheap. Manager should have comped something...maybe the drinks or perhaps offered to make another entre on the house, etc.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #30
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
Too much other stuff in the world to get bent over to worry about no crab. I would of ate my crabless food, drank my drink, paid and never went back. If they can't comp atleast the appetizer then its a no go for me in the future. Crap happens, they were out of crab. Make it right for the customer and have business later instead of worrying about a few dollars lost now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
This exactly. I've had very few bad experiences at restaurants, real easy to please. There are about 3 on my list that I'll never step foot in again though.

He literally ordered two items with crab and you don’t see a problem with it? He should have been told as soon as he ordered that they didn’t have the crab he was ordering.

Wow! Next time you go out to eat just tell the waitress to surprise you because you will pay for it and eat it anyway.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #31
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
He literally ordered two items with crab and you donít see a problem with it? He should have been told as soon as he ordered that they didnít have the crab he was ordering.

Wow! Next time you go out to eat just tell the waitress to surprise you because you will pay for it and eat it anyway.
Not saying there's no problem with what happened. I agree he should've been told originally, and should've been given a discount or different food by the manager. I'm not going to throw a fit about it though. I'll pay my tab and never go again.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #32
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

A..... I would not have left a tip at all. I would have taken the 10 dollar off discount on next visit and let them know I still wasn`t happy after my food had made it to the table. Then I would have notified corporate the next day and expressed how I was not satisfied. Did this once at Red Lobster and received a were sorry Email and a 50 dollar gift card.

B..... Told them I was not paying for the meal since it did not meet "Their" description. Pay for drinks and leave and not return. Still call corporate.

I absolutely email corporate about bad service, bad food or anything else that I feel need to be addressed.

I also email corporate when I have a pleasant experience, great service or great food. I have sent Red Lobster 2 emails praising the restaurant I complained about. I did this as recent as 2 weeks ago.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #33
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

I would have walked out
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #34
Jon Stewart
Six Point

What's classy about letting them get away with presenting a meal that you didn't order? If an issue isn't made they will continue to treat customers the way they treated you. I don't get the "look the other way" attitude. This is what is wrong with America.

The way you give the wait staff notification that the service was real bad is place a penny under an ice cube as the tip. Now in this case is was partly the wait staffs fault for not coming out and telling you they were out of what you ordered before it was prepared.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #35
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Makes me appreciate the excellent waitstaff and management even more at the restaurants that we frequent. Because that ďserviceĒ is pathetic and doesnít deserve to remain in business. Iím sorry, but expecting people to pay for something that isnít what they ordered, when the restaurant KNOWS they canít provide it, is insane
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #36
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Would have walked out.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #37
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Quote:
What's classy about letting them get away with presenting a meal that you didn't order? If an issue isn't made they will continue to treat customers the way they treated you. I don't get the "look the other way" attitude. This is what is wrong with America.

The way you give the wait staff notification that the service was real bad is place a penny under an ice cube as the tip. Now in this case is was partly the wait staffs fault for not coming out and telling you they were out of what you ordered before it was prepared.

Should he have stood up and flipped the table over and made scene and punched the waiter and drop kicked the manager on the way out?

Paying for a meal that wasnít what you ordered is debatable.

Never coming back and letting others know your experience will get rid of the establishment eventually. I say he handled it with class. They wonít be around much longer if that is their MO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #38
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

What was the name of the "middle of the road " restaurant? Save the rest of us a bad experience.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:56 PM   #39
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I was wondering who the lone survivors were that still eat at red lobster. Mystery solved!
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #40
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
He literally ordered two items with crab and you donít see a problem with it? He should have been told as soon as he ordered that they didnít have the crab he was ordering.

Lol man, I have way more things to get bent out of shape about than a restaurant being out of crab. Were headed out to the Mexican restaurant here in a bit. Its the best around and we frequent it often. Had I went there the first time and had the crab ordeal I wouldn't of went back (unless they made it right). This day and age id just congratulate the waitress on being there at work and not at home drawing her bidenbucks.
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #41
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Captain D's?......cause that's the only place that would treat customers that way and get away with it.
I probably would done the same thing.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #42
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

Tip? I would not even have considered it
Just the "I didn't think you would mind" comment would have killed any tip

To
Insure
Proper
Service
Wouldn't that be "ensure" ?

bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #43
eradicator
Pope & Young

You guys that are forgiving in this particular situation may be part of the problem
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:04 PM   #44
austinRecurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Alaska

OP handled it with class, app and entree should have been paid for by the waitress' tips, as she was the one who failed to inform the customer, corporate should be notified about the manager.
austinRecurve is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #45
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

That waitress wants $15/hr but can't remember to tell you they're out of crab at a SEAFOOD restaurant!
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #46
crowmagnum
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
You probably handled that the right way but Iím noted for handling things wrong, but then again I get results. The waitress did not earn a tip. I would have left her a penny with a note explaining why. The manager would have had an embarrassing experience with all the customers knowing exactly what a rip-off that place was and I would have demanded to speak to the owner. After that, I would have gone on line and left extremely bad reviews on every site I could find.
Then I would have taken my butt woopin from my wife for being such a jerk...but by golly I would have gotten satisfaction.
I detect sarcasm 😎
crowmagnum is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:36 PM   #47
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Wouldn't that be "ensure" ?

Don't know, just what I have always been told it stood for

Did not major in English (grammar/punctuation etc)

BTW if I can see a waiter/waitress is having a bad day in general and I get poor service I have been known to tip more than normal
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

Same... Would have probably given the manager a second chance and let him do the right thing after I politely told him I was not paying for a meal I didn't order, no matter where his cooks were in the process. It was not an excuse for me to pay full price when the meal didnt offer the full meal and especially after being hush hush. If he stood his ground, I would have gotten up and walked out with money for drinks on the table if I had received them and drank on them. I doubt I would have tipped even though I'm a solid tipper. She was part of the cover up.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #49
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Laid on the floor and threw a screaming meanie FIT
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #50
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Do what you tell your kids. Eat what is in front of you or go to bed hungry