Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 07-26-2021, 10:43 PM   #1
bzzboyz
Ten Point

Default Do you have that ďoneĒ gun?

I’ve bought and have a lot of guns as I’ve gotten older but I have one gun that my dad gave me at 14. I killed my first deer with it and over my 59 years I’ve killed everything from a bobcats,pigs whitetail pronghorn, axis, aoudad, oryx and mule deer with it. I can’t count or remember them all. Only thought about it tonight cause my dad died a few months back and tonight when I got home I had some pigs on my camera so I grabbed my old REM. 700 25-06 that my dad gave me so many years ago with the same redfield scope it’s had on it from day one. I have faith in it and I know I almost never miss with it from most any distance. I been successful with it from 50-500 yards. Good all around gun. Just change loads or tips or both and you can make it work in many many situations. It came through again tonight. I’ve decided it’s not leaving my possession till I give it to my new grandson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bzzboyz; 07-26-2021 at 11:04 PM.
bzzboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

My grandfather’s 1911 Colt that was his sidearm in WWI.
And my fathers CZ 27 that he took from a German officer he captured in WWII.
They will be passed on to my son.
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I wish I could say that for many reasons, but can't. The first nice rifle I was given, that I really liked, got stolen years ago, it was a 9422. Then my first deer rifle, I sold to buy my second deer rifle. Still wish I had that first deer rifle, it was a Ruger 44 Carbine, with a 4x Weaver scope.

The only gun I still have from my childhood, is a H&R 999, that my grandfather gave me.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #4
bzzboyz
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
My grandfatherís 1911 Colt that was his sidearm in WWI.
And my fathers CZ 27 that he took from a German officer he captured in WWII.
They will be passed on to my son.

Love me some 1911ís. Iíve got a Japanese Ruger my grandfather took of a dead one in the Philippines. Leather holster and all.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Sorry you lost your dad but sounds like you’ve get some great memories.I’ve got a few guns from lost loved ones I try and use every year.I’m sitting hear looking at a 410/22 OA That was my grandmother’s when my dad was little.My favorite go to gun was a REM 700 in 243 my friends use to say that animals would just voluntarily give up when I brought out that gun.Elk,pigs,deer,bobcats,coons,nutra,rabbits maby even a duck or 2
RedBear78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #6
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzboyz View Post
Iíve bought and have a lot of guns as Iíve gotten older but I have one gun that my dad gave me at 14. I killed my first deer with it and over my 59 years Iíve killed everything from a bobcats,pigs whitetail pronghorn, axis, aoudad, oryx and mule deer with it. I canít count or remember them all. Only thought about it tonight cause my dad died a few months back and tonight when I got home I had some pigs on my camera so I grabbed my old REM. 700 25-06 that my dad gave me so many years ago with the same redfield scope itís had on it from day one. I have faith in it and I know I almost never miss with it from most any distance. I been successful with it from 50-500 yards. Good all around gun. Just change loads or tips or both and you can make it work in many many situations. It came through again tonight. Iíve decided itís not leaving my possession till I give it to my new grandson.

Iíve got a marlin pappose and a New England .410 that Iíll never get rid of. I think I got both of them around my 5th or 6th birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #7
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

My dadís Ď68 Belgian magnum 20Ö.that is what a firearm was meant to feel, sound, and look like.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 PM   #8
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

A German Luger my grandfather took off a German officer after he killed him is probably my most sentimental gun. Lots of his other guns are sentimental as well, he was a Weatherby guy, so lots of Weatherby Mark V’s from the original production years are special too. And randomly, an original Marlin Goose Gun lol, the barrel is like 48” long and it’s a bolt action 12 gauge. Not practical, but cool
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 11:51 PM   #9
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I canít pick just one. Too many sentimental pieces of art Dad left when he passed. Dad worked for Ruger in Prescott Arizona for some time as a machinist. He built his own stainless Ruger Mk ll and customized it with handle material from Italy. I dont know the wood type, but its deep red. And the gun is a pleasure to shoot.

Also his GP100 357 that was gifted to him by my Grandpa.

Grandpa had an older Ruger Blackhawk 357 that is sweet shooter that my brother now has as well as a functional Colt, ball and cap pistol.

Lastly, dads old Savage 110 thats as old as I am. The barrel went bad and just had it fixed. Was a tough decision to re-barrel it but Dad would not retire it if he was still here. Its ready to roll now, so when my son is old enough, it will be his.

bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 05:52 AM   #10
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

My dad is 88 and still alive. He is a great man and wonderful dad. He never liked guns or wanted them around. We had a pellet gun and my older brother has it. That is ok with me.

I will be the one to start a tradition of passing down a gun with my grandson. I will leave him my first ever rifle, a Ruger red pad tang safety 25-06 when its time.
We have already put together his own first rifle. It is a Tikka T3 in .260, He loves that gun and takes good care of it. He can shoot that gun way better than ole pips can, that's for sure.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I have a Mod 70 pre 64 with a Redfield that is square. Gun was handed down to me. It has notches on the stock. I kinda baby it but do carry and use it and so have my kids and wife. We only use it in box blinds in good weather. Gun is a great shooter- optics do the job but will never be changed.

Our goto grab gun that has killed everything from varmits to Oryx is a Weatherby Vanguard in 22-250 my wife won at a raffle 15 years ago. It is the best out of the box gun or custom we have as far as shooting.(guess she was lucky and got the barrel in the sweet spot on the rod). If I had to pick a gun to survive with it may be that one over a 22 lr
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 06:43 AM   #12
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Marlin 1893 in 30-30 cal.
Dad aquired it in the early Ď60s.
Buckshot-73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #13
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Is that some kind of sock you have protecting the stock?? Looks cool whatís it called?

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #14
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

It would be really hard to pick just one but my very first big game rifle dad gave me he bought used at a pawn shop. It is a Remington 721 270 Win. My uncle refinished the stock, reblued the barrel and jeweled the bolt.
It has killed a lot of animals over the years but has been a safe queen for a long time. I need to pull it out, put another scope on it and get it dialed in as it is a real shooter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #15
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fruitvale, TX

I killed my first deer with the same Remington .243 that my mom used to kill her first and my dad used to kill his first. All of my kids have killed their first with it and my oldest grand daughter is on deck to kill one with it this year.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

If any are “special” it would have to be the Winchester Big Bore 94 that I bought in 1978. I haven’t shot it in years and I could sell it for four times what I gave for it, but I just can’t let it go. Another would be my Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. I have several SA Rugers in different calibers but that one is my favorite.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #17
elhefe
Ten Point

Remington model 700 chambered in .280. It was my Uncles gun and I mowed yards and shoveled snow to but it off him. Love that gun. Killed lots of critters with it
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #18
bzzboyz
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Is that some kind of sock you have protecting the stock?? Looks cool whatís it called?

Itís just a cover with a zipper I put on it in the late 80ís. Way before dipping.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #19
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Yup, but it’s something that I’ve never used to kill anything, although I would like to take it out hunting one day. It’s my grandfather old Dallas PD service revolver. Not sure when it was in use with him but he worked from 56-86 so it’s old. It’s a Dan Wesson .357 snub nose. You better have your Crap together when you pull the trigger because it’s a beast.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #20
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

My grandfather's 70 Series 1911 that was given to him when he retired from DPS after 41 years. It has his name engraved on it.

My Browning A-bolt stainless stalker original production in 270. My other grandfather helped me purchase the rifle back when I was poorer than I am now. I don't have the slightest idea how many west Texas mule deer, pigs, and axis that rifle has taken. I'll probably have it buried with me.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #21
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

Sako Finbear Deluxe 243 with a weaver K4
Pops called in "meat in the pot" cause when it spoke meat went in the pot.
Killed everything it was ever put to the test on.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

My great-granny's 722 in 257 roberts...stock cut down slightly & great-gramp inserted a small compass in the grip cap area. Has some neat vintage Stith mounts. My go to walking / rattling rig.

Not sure how many kids & others have taken their first deer with this rig.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #23
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

I've got several of "those" types of guns. I know a lot of folks think guns are just tools and they're right but ones that were given to me or passed down from my Dad and grandpa mean a lot more to me than tools.

1904 Marlin .30-30 from my great grandpa

Rem Mohawk 600 .243 given to me by my Dad when I was 9. (46yrs old now)

Marlin 336 - 30.30 that my Mom bought my Dad for his 30th birthday (he passed away in 2017)

1959 Remington 870 Wingmaster in 16g. Grandpa bought it for my Dad for his 8th birthday. It is still my go to dove gun.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #24
txbowman12
Four Point

Never been a big rifle guy, always leaned more instinctive shooting with shotguns and bow. But that said I've got a beretta shotgun that I have put through hell and it folds ducks just as well as the 2k benellis jamming on the other end of the blind.

My dad does own a colt .44 that my great-great grandpa carried on his circuit in oklahoma territory. He was a circuit judge and a minister. Wore the sight off it in his saddle. That's a cool little piece of history imo.
txbowman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #25
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
A German Luger my grandfather took off a German officer after he killed him is probably my most sentimental gun. Lots of his other guns are sentimental as well, he was a Weatherby guy, so lots of Weatherby Mark Vís from the original production years are special too. And randomly, an original Marlin Goose Gun lol, the barrel is like 48Ē long and itís a bolt action 12 gauge. Not practical, but cool
The bolt action Marlin goose gun I had came with a 36Ē barrel.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #26
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Mine is a Remington 700 bdl 270 that my dad bought in high school. That guns killed all kinds of critters and I can only imagine how many deer it’s killed… a generation or 2 is my guess lol

I have sold a bunch of guns, that one and the 870 wingmaster with a 30” barrel and full choke is the 2 I will never sell
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #27
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Quote:
It’s just a cover with a zipper I put on it in the late 80’s. Way before dipping.

I have the exact cover on my Winchester feather weight 270, it has been since 80’s
Think it was called Gun Chaps

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 07-27-2021 at 11:14 AM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #28
riverbowman
Ten Point

My favorite gun is an old bolt action Marlin 22 mag. Had it since I was a kid and it was old when I got it. It has to be 50 years old and still has the same scope it had when I got it 40 years ago. My sons now slay hogs with it. We've got plenty of bigger guns for that but we all just love this gun when we're sitting up pretty close to the feeder.
riverbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #29
∆theling
Pope & Young

30-06 Rem 742 with Leupold 3-9-40. My dad killed his first deer with it as did I as did my daughter. Two young baby boys are next in line.
∆theling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #30
Black-N-Red
Ten Point

Iíve got Mossberg .243 my Pawpaw gave me when he passed, my boys killed there 1st deer with it. My 6yr old shot his at 160yrds & my 10yr old shot his at 167yrds. That gun want go no where.

Another one is my .17 Hornet, I made my longest kill shot with this rifle with my boys there to see. Shot a coyote at 310yrds. When my boys watched the coyote drop through their scopes they was yelling with excitement & thought I was the best shot in the world.

Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #31
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I have a Marlin 30-30 my mom gave me for my 14th birthday. I still use it and I made a notch in it for every whitetail deer I kill. There’s about 100 notches on that gun now. I even marked how many points the bucks had. My kids love that gun. When I’m dead and gone I hope they hang on to it
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #32
StanS806
Four Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Many years ago my Mother gave my Dad a twelve gauge double barrel shotgun on their 50th anniversary. Their home was burglarized years later and it was stolen. Three years after that, while serving a search warrant, I recovered that gun along with 3 van loads of stolen property. I didnt even recognize the gun since they had sawed off the barrel and stock. When the detective on the case ran the serial number he called and told me I had recovered my dad's gun. We eventually returned it to Dad. When he passed, my mother gave it to me. As a firearm (18 1/4" barrel) its no good for anything but a home defense weapon, buy it does hold special meaning for me.
StanS806 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #33
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

I only have one gun that was given to my by my Dad; a Remington 1100 12 gauge 30 fixed full choke. I used to have an old 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06 but being a stupid teenager I pawned it to put toward buying a motorcycle. I deeply regret getting rid of that gun. My Dad died 30 years ago this month and I still regret doing such a stupid thing.

The only other gun I have that has sentimental value to me is a Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag which was the first gun I ever purchased myself the year my first kid was born. I canít even recall how many things that gun has killed. I havenít even shot it since somewhere around 2003 or so.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #34
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

My dad’s Remington Model 11- 30” full choke, I remember him repairing the forearm with Weldwood glue when I was 6 or 7, he was the best wing shooter I have ever seen. Also, have his Benjamin pump .22 air rifle, no telling how many squirrels he killed with it when his pears and pecans were ripening!
bowmansdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #35
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home and wherever i can

Quote:
Love me some 1911ís. Iíve got a Japanese Ruger my grandfather took of a dead one in the Philippines. Leather holster and all.

A Japanese Ruger?

MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #36
bowhunter45
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere
Default 1895sbl

not from my dad, but i bought it. and it will probably go to my daughter since sheís the only one that shoots and hunts with me.
Attached Images

bowhunter45 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #37
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter45 View Post
not from my dad, but i bought it. and it will probably go to my daughter since she’s the only one that shoots and hunts with me.

Last edited by Clay C; 07-27-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #38
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter45 View Post
not from my dad, but i bought it. and it will probably go to my daughter since sheís the only one that shoots and hunts with me.
I'm Sure she will appreciate it, but it's kind of weird to pass down socks.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #39
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Winchester pre64 .270 featherweight with a Leupold 3x9 on it. Grandpa to dad to me. Plan to use it a little this year.

A model savage 340E .223 shot most of my first several deer with this rifle. Hope my kid will too.

My gun. Model 700 LSS limited .280 Remington, a gift from my parents when I was still at home. Has been my go to since then, shot all my best deer with it, have the most confidence in it.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #40
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
My great-granny's 722 in 257 roberts...
My great uncle gave my dad a 722 to give to me when I was born. It's a 257 Roberts with a custom curly maple Monte Carlo stock. I've killed a bunch of deer with it, no telling how many my uncle killed with it.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #41
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Not anymore.....Dad gave me a Remington 788 in .308 with a 3x9 variable Weaver for Christmas when I was 14.
I handed it down to my son about 10 years ago. He'll eventually give it to my grandson. Love that rifle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #42
WBA2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa and anywhere else I can.

I have a few. My great grandmothers Savage 99 in 250 savage that my grandfather gave a few days before he passed in 1990. He handed it to me in front of all his brothers and sister and said "son just keep it in the family". I killed a couple of deer and a few pigs with it then cleaned it and put it up. I really need to get it out and shoot it.
My dads Winchester Pre-64 model 70 in 243. I killed my first deer with this one. It is not the prettiest. Dad carried it in the truck for years and killed a ton of animals with it.

Finally would be my Winchester 70 in 270. All my buddies who have shot it or seen me use it would say just point it in the right direction and it will do the rest. Funny story, a buddy was going to shoot a pig one night with it while I was holding the spotlight on it. When the shot went off I could tell he almost took the pigs hind leg off. I said what did you shoot him in the leg for. He says "I was just taking the slack out of the trigger and the cross hairs were still circling". The gun had a trigger job done by the gun guy my parents bought it from and there isn't any creep. Not sure what pull weight is but it is nice and crisp.
WBA2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #43
bzzboyz
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
A Japanese Ruger?

Actually called a Nambu, but he always called it a Ruger. It looks a lot like a Ruger.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #44
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Actually called a Nambu, but he always called it a Ruger. It looks a lot like a Ruger.
I think you mean Luger.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #45
highspeed
Ten Point

Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.

I’ve got a couple but these aren’t ever on the list to thin. My grandads Savage 99 in 250 Savage and my Remington 12 ga 870 Wingmaster that was given to me for Christmas when I was 14

Last edited by highspeed; 07-27-2021 at 08:46 PM.
highspeed is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #46
bzzboyz
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I think you mean Luger.
Yes I did. Not sure why I kept typing that.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #47
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

First rifle I bought in 1982 Remington 788 in 7mm-08. Still my go to gun if something needs hunting. Still shoots half inch groups with handloads.

I have a few others that are in my will and some day if I get to where I cannot shoot they will go to the people then named in the will.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #48
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I think you mean Luger.
This is a Nambu, it looks a lot like a Luger and it also resembles the Ruger Standard semi-auto .22 that Bill Ruger produced as his first pistol.
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #49
Clay C
Pope & Young

No sentimental value, but this gun goes with me everywhere these days. Feel naked without it.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #50
CDF
Spike

Hunt In: Whitney,Aquilla

My Dads Service 1911 and my grandmothers double-barreled shotgun still shoot both at times because that's what they would want.
CDF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top