How much of your deer do you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With season right around the corner, I figured a hunting thread was appropriate.

When you kill your deer, how much do you harvest and consume? Just 4Q and straps? Ribs? Neck? Organs? Bones for broth and marrow?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I get all the meat I can get off of it. Hind quarters and straps get cut into steaks. Everything else becomes burger or sausage. When I'm done all that gets dumped is bones, skin and guts. Fun fact: In many western states, just taking 4 quarters gets you a wanton waste ticket.

Comment

4 quarters, straps, neck, flank. I don’t fool with the rest.

Comment

Was taught to take all that you can - leave nothing to waste. I know the ribs are a pain but I try to not leave much behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Quarters, neck, straps, flank, loins, heart.
          Dog gets treated to ribs and liver, makes his day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Took two last year and have meat left over. This year I’m keeping the straps and having hamburger made outta the rest. Just fits our lifestyle better I think.

Comment

If it’s a lean season I’ll trim meat off the carcass.I’ve never been to fond of organs.If it’s a good season then usually it’s quarters straps and the neck.Or if it’s a big deer I’ll try and not to waste the trimmings.

Comment

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
                Was taught to take all that you can - leave nothing to waste. I know the ribs are a pain but I try to not leave much behind.

Thats the way i was raised.

Comment

Everything I can get. including liver, heart and caul fat. We are a three deer a year family with a few pigs thrown in the mix.

Comment

4 quarters, back straps, loins, neck, heart and liver. This year we saved all the shanks and found a recipe to slow cook them and it was very good!

Comment

Depends, If I take the deer home gutted but otherwise whole. I will try to get as much meat off of the bones as possible. I guess I should say, whatever I bring home, I tried to get as much of the meat off of the bones as possible. The last deer I had to hike out a bit over a mile, up and down canyons with the deer in my back pack. By the time I got back to the truck on the second trip, I decided the rest of the deer, which was the neck and ribs could stay. I decided to donate to the coyotes, I am sure they liked that. I did not want to do that, but I don't know if I could have made it back to the deer, much less, back out with the rest of the deer.

Most times I can get the whole deer in the truck, so the whole deer goes home and gets butchered. I don't like liver at all, never tried heart, it's a muscle, it could be good. I am all for donating the organs to the local coyote population.

Comment

For anything but pigs, Everything and as much as possible. All meat from the neck to the hams. Tongue, heart, liver, caul fat, kidneys, bones.

Now pigs, just quarters, straps, and loins. I don’t even bother messing with the internals or bones.

Was raised to not buy meat at the store so I’ve had some practice getting everything edible and trying recipes to make things that aren’t so tasty, taste good enough to eat again.

Comment

4 quarters, backstraps and tenderloins

Comment

All of it, 1/4s, straps, tenders, neck, rib meat, heart, brisket and flank.. 4-5 deer a year.

All the no gut, 1/4s and straps only guys.. your wasting 10-20# of good grinding meat and neck roast.

It really isn’t that much work or a pain in the ***. I’m not in that big of a hurry and I enjoy cutting one up.

Comment

Even at 48 years old, the amount of trimming I do is directly related to whether or not my Dad is there watching and critiquing me.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X